Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/10 22:03
Hi, I'll be in Kyoto next month for 10 days, staying at a hotel near Gojo station, please advise the best and economical way to travel (bus versus trains) to these places from my hotel :
1. Chionji Temple: Tezukuri-ichi (Handmade flea market)
2. Arashiyama Bamboo Groves
3. Toji temple flea market (kobo-ichi market)
4. Kamigamo shrine handmade flea Market
5. Kobe Chinatown, Harborland

Should I get a bus pass daily, or a train pass (which one?) ?
Many thanks,
Anna
by Anna C (guest)  

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/11 15:52
Amanohasidate and Kobe are a long ways from Kyoto. Bus would not be recommended.

I don't think any one pass is gonna work for your itinerary. Amanohashidate is about 2 hours by train from Kyoto and uses two different railways.

Kobe has multiple options to access it, but considering the time taken to get there from Kyoto, then train would be best.

The other threes you listed aren't worth a pass. Toji is long walking distance or one train stop from kyoto. Arashiyama is less than 600 yen to get to and from. And the Kamogami shine is just up the subway from your hotel, again cheap to access.

I would just use a IC card for all you days except the Amanohashidate daytrip. Buy tickets for that day.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/11 16:07
Use Googlemap to get the rough idea of transport. Then use Arukumachikyoto

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en

to search the timetable for each leg. You can use the spot like Toji temple
for the starting point/destination. Out side of Kyoto, use Hypermedia though
it does not cover the bus rides.

1. Chionji Temple: Tezukuri-ichi (Handmade flea market)

Note that it is held on 15th only. Walk to Kiyomizugojo, get Keihan
line (train) to Demachiyanagi, and then walk to Chionji.

2. Arashiyama Bamboo Groves

There are three ways to go:using Hankyu line, subway and JR line and
Kaifuku line. I would walk to Karasuma (Hankyu) station and then take
Hankyu line, transfer at Katsura station and go to Arashiyama (Hankyu)
station.

3. Toji temple flea market (kobo-ichi market)

Take subway line from Gojo to Kyoto and then walk. You can take Kintetsu line
from Kyoto to Toji, but it will not save much time.

4. Kamigamo shrine handmade flea Market

Take subway to Kitaoji and bus to Kamigamo shrine.

http://www.goo.gl/mpkbhs

5. Kobe Chinatown, Harborland

http://www.goo.gl/yK2gTk

You can also go via Hankyu line, but JR is faster by 20 min (but more expensive by 300 yen).

Should I get a bus pass daily, or a train pass (which one?) ?

You don't need any type of passes (which are more expensive). If you are flying in/out KIX,
then you might better buy Icoca and Haruka ticket.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

IC card (in this case, ICOCA card) is very convenient although it
does not save money.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/11 16:25
There are two Chion-ji in Kyoto. The one in Amanohashidate is not where the flea market is. The one you want to go is called Hyakumanben Chion-ji (may be spelled Hyakumamben sometimes), just north of the Kyoto University. Input that destination name when using the tool suggested by frog1954.

For Kobe Harborland, get on a JR express train (not Shinkansen if you want to save money) from Kyoto to Kobe station. The Harborland is a short walk from the Kobe station.

For Kobe Chinatown (Nankin-machi), get off at Motomachi station which is one station prior to Kobe station. Chinatown is a short walk from Motomachi station.
by kyoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/11 22:21
Many thanks to everyone's prompt response and advice, much appreciated.

To frog1954:
Thanks for your links. However, I'm still confused by the rail systems, what are the differences between local trains, subway and JR, do they run different routes and by different companies? Do they go to most of the tourist spots via different routes and charge different fares? For example, I did a search in Arukumachikyoto for the trip to Chionji temple, it takes 8 minutes if I travel from Kiyomizugojo station to Demachiyanagi station for 270 yen, but it takes 21 minutes from Gojo station to Demachiyanagi station for 490 yen. Kiyomizugojo is about 15 minutes walk from Gojo station. I'm easily overwhelmed by the different rail lines and various ticket machines when I walked into a rail station .... : ( (solo senior traveller)

Also, besides Google map, any other apps that are useful for finding direction from one location to the other please? Sometimes I got lost if I wandered into the side streets and couldn't find my way out. I recall my last trip to Kyoto that not every street corner has name sign or in English ...

by Anna C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/12 06:08
what are the differences between local trains, subway and JR, do they run different routes and by different companies?

Yes, they are different companies. In Kyoto there are following companies.

JR (JR-West operating conventional rail and JR-Central operating Shinkansen trains)
Hankyu: Going to Umeda (Hankyu), Kobe and Arashiyama.
Keihan: Going from Demachiyanagi to Yodoyabashi (in Osaka).
Kaifuku: Shijo-Omiya to Arashiyama, Demachiyanagi to Kurama etc.
Kyoto Municipal Subway: Kyoto to Kokusaikaikan etc.
Kyoto City bus
Kyoto Bus
Keihan Bus

Do they go to most of the tourist spots via different routes and charge different fares?

Yes.

For example, I did a search in Arukumachikyoto for the trip to Chionji temple, it takes 8 minutes if I travel from Kiyomizugojo station to Demachiyanagi station for 270 yen, but it takes 21 minutes from Gojo station to Demachiyanagi station for 490 yen

Yes. I don't know the 490 yen route, but it should be that you will take two different transports operating by different companies so you must pay separately. However if you have an IC card (Icoca etc), you can pay by just touching the ticket gate or something. It's quite easy. Just see what others do and you will be fine.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/12 06:31
@Anna C

"Sometimes I got lost if I wandered into the side streets and couldn't find my way out. "

If you have to wander into side streets, it may be better to take a photo of the "main street" (the one that you recognize) corner before you turn into the side street, and subsequently take a photo every time you make a turn. That should help you retrace your steps / route. Unless you know the area well, retracing is easier than moving forward to find a way out. You can even start taking photos from the train/subway station or bus stop. When taking photos, try to include bigger shops or street signs (in whatever language). With photos, asking people for directions would also be easier.
by tedrabjg rate this post as useful

Re: Bus versus train - travel in Kyoto 2017/9/12 15:51
Thanks again to everyone for your advice. G'day from Australia.
by Anna C (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread