Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

Marine stationed in Yakuska or Yokosuka? 2005/4/19 07:05
Father always claimed he was stationed in Yakuska Marine Barracks-found interservice shooting match patch that says Marine barrack Yokosuka Japan. Were there marine barracks at Yakuska? 1957 or a marine Hospital he was injured at one time.
by McConnell  

Yokosuka base 2005/4/20 14:50
McConnell,

A quick search on Google turned up the following page, which suggests that the answer to your question is yes.
http://www.cfay.navy.mil/fayhist.htm

The correct spelling of the city and base is Yokosuka, although Yakuska is a good approximation of how it sounds to non-Japanese ears.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Yes and Navy too. 2005/4/22 23:49
I was stationed North of Yokosuka and we used the facilities at the Navy base many times over the years. If course this was back around 1948-1950, but know that Yokosuka is alive and running well. We used to intermingle with the navy and marines though I was in the army. A beautiful base and great people stationed there in those years and I am sure still are.
Alan
by Alan Passmore rate this post as useful

Marine Barracks Yokosuka Japan 2008/1/7 09:24
Yes Yokosuka is the correct spelling and there was a Marine Barracks and Navy Hospital both at Yokosuka. I was station at the Marine Barracks in Yokosuka in 1960-1961
by Jim Cameron rate this post as useful

Yokosuka...Live and kickin' in 1986 2008/2/27 13:37
We were stationed in Yokosuka, 1986-88. I job shadowed at the Naval Hospital and Marine barracks were there. My High School was Nile C. Kinnick, same school that Mark Hamil (luke Skywalker)attended. Different year...of course!
by Maria Morway rate this post as useful

YOKOSUKA 2008/2/28 04:39
I was stationed at the Marine Barracks in Yokosuka,Japan from '84-6
Although with a "few"beers
and my new england accent,it
would sound like Yakuska.
by Thomas Webster rate this post as useful

It was Yokosuka 2008/3/22 11:00
I was a navy radio operator stationed at Yokosuka Navy Base in late 1945 immediately following World War II. I never heard it called Yakuska until years later.
by Jim Stephens rate this post as useful

Yokosuka 2008/4/26 13:20
I was there at Marine Barracks Yokosuka, Japan from 85-87. Had a great time.
by Grigsby in Louisiana rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/7/23 06:04
Iwas stationed in yokuska from 71 to 73 as a marine guard great place would like to go back
by John Duron rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/9/28 02:08
I was stationed at MB, Yokosuka, Japan in 1965-1966 before being assigned to VN. Married my wife there and one of my children was born there. Have been back only once in all these years, but as far as I know, is still up and running strong. I think they took the old Marine Barracks and changed it into a school. Plan on going back to Japan next year and hope to visit the old homestead. Joe
by Joe Nichols rate this post as useful

Yokosuka, 1957 2008/10/9 18:37
I lived there when my dad was the finance officer for the Naval Hospital. The Marine Barracks was situated in the middle of a large parade field across from the old Navy Exchange. The barracks later became the high school for the base. The old wooden hospital was later replaced with a modern structure. There was a pistol and rifle range located on base. The rifle range was leveled to make way for more family housing. Was an interesting place to be for a kid from the midwest in the 50's.
by John Garner rate this post as useful

Pronunciation Problem for Americans 2008/11/29 22:45
I have always wondered why most Navy people have such a hard time pronouncing Yokosuka.
It seems strange to me that most of them call it gYa-Ku-Skah,especially since most of them can say Yokohama and Yokota the right way.
The gYokoh part of Yokosuka, Yokohama and Yokota is pronounced the exact same way for all three. The same as John Lennonfs eYoko Onof, her name is the exact same pronunciation ofeYokofas Yoko-suka.

Now the only tricky part is the pronunciation of the 'Suka' part of Yoko-suka, because Japanese has a rule, that sometimes the 'U' is dropped from the pronunciation. So 'Suka' is really ''Ska'', sounds like the word 'Scuttle'
So Yokosuka is pronunced like 'Yoko Ono & Scuttle'
Yoko-Ska is a better way to remember the right way to say it.
by Storm rate this post as useful

YOKOSUKA 2009/3/11 07:47
I was born in the Naval Hospital at Yokosuka when my dad was stationed there in the late 50's.
My dad learned a fair amount of Japanese, though he didn't have to, my mother too. We also had a young Japanese woman living with us - out in Kamakura. Even she pronounced it Yakuska. I think it's a case of saying it quickly and sort of slurring the sounds together. She pronounced Sukiyaki "Skiyaki" - that silent u rule.
by rabbithole rate this post as useful

Not Yakuska 2009/3/11 20:31
The problem with "Yakuska" is not in the almost silent 'u' after the s- that is standard in Japanese, taking the pronunciation to something more like "Yokoska". The problem is in changing the first 'o' to 'a' and the second 'o' to 'u'- that is not standard or correct pronunciation at all- the only people who do it in my experience are people associated with the base.

I used to live on the Yokosuka line, which runs through Yokohama past Yokosuka, so I have heard the conductors announce the name of the line probably thousands of times- none of them ever said "Yakuska" or anything close to it. The character for "Yoko" in both Yokosuka and Yokohama is actually the same, and should be pronounced the same.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Marines in Yokosuka 2009/9/24 01:24
I, with other Marines, was stationed at an Army base in Yokosuka in the spring of 1957. I was in a Shore Party battalion and in about May of 1957, after a meeting with PM Kishi, President Eisenhower ordered all Marine ground forces off the Island. The aviation units stayed in Japan. We redeployed to Okinawa and the base reverted to the Army. I don't know what they did with it. The base was a former Japanese Navy base and had a mountain in the middle of it with miles of hollowed out caves. Japan was much better duty than Okinawa. By Josh M.
by Josh (guest) rate this post as useful

Sira - Good post 2009/9/24 23:31
Sira....good post. I here people pronounce Yokosuka wrong all the time. It drives me crazy! Somewhere along the way, the pronunciation got all jumbled up, and more and more people on base started saying it the wrong way. Now, a majority of the people on the base say it incorrectly. I don't understand because nobody says "Yokuhama." Yokohama and Yokosuka both start the same way and you would think one would pronounce them the same way! Ok....had to get that out of my system. Just one of my pet peeves when I'm on the base!
by Guest- (guest) rate this post as useful

CFAY 2009/10/20 12:57
I was stationed at Yokosuka on USS Fife DD-991 from March 1990 to April 1992. The first two weeks I was there we had AOB- Area Orientation Board and ICR- Inter-Cultural Realations. The Navy spent two weeks telling us we were basically illiterate gaijins that can't read road signs or find our own way home. But it was kind of cool. We had a Chief that was the instructor and one of the first things he did was make sure we knew how to say Yokosuka. ''Yoko''- kind of like Ono. With just a touch of a delay between syllables. And then ''Ska''. If I remember right in the first Star Wars movie when Han Solo is almost arrested by the bounty hunter the green guy with the gun on him says a word that sounds just like ''Yo-ko,ska''. Then Han burned a hole through him. Must have been a little homage to Mark Hamill's time in High School in Yokosuka.
by Mark C. (guest) rate this post as useful

Marine Barracks 2010/2/2 11:10
The Barracks of the 50's was turned into the High school(since replaced), the Marines were moved to a building which burned down, when rebuilt it became the chief's quarters. The Marines were in a wooden H shaped building when I was stationed at the Barracks 76-79, this has since been replaced by an office building. A new barracks was build and situated almost across the street. In 79 they also opened a new PX and Commissary and Hospital, all after I left.
by CWO-4 Ed Williams (guest) rate this post as useful

It is pronounced YO-COOS-KA 2010/2/5 22:20
I was at the Barracks in Yokosuka from Jan 77 to June 79. What a great place, and a great group of MARINES. It is pronounced YO-COOS-KA. Semper Fi barracks brothers
by Wayne Diana, Sgt., USMC 1976-1979 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/6 09:47
Wayne, it is only pronounced like that by American military people, as explained above. That is not the correct Japanese pronunciation at all.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread