Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/11 18:59
Good morning, I've been 2 times in Japan and I'm coming back on October. I'm thinking to visit 2 or 3 days Kumamoto. I know Kumamoto Castle is still closed and damaged like other places. Maybe is a stupid question, but how about life? I mean: city life restarted normally after more than 1 year? Or many shops, restaurants, izakaya, pubs, etc. are still closed and few people around?
If somebody can answer...thank you so much!
Regards
by Glenslt85  

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/12 10:42
Life started back up in Kumamoto the day after the earthquake. Very few things should be closed even now. Life goes on.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/12 13:27
When I was in Kumamoto in GW this year, apart from the castle (which however you can see from outside and is interesting in its semi-crumbled state) there was also one or two other tourist attractions still closed. You have all the details on this guide here.
Life in the city however was in full swing with no indication of any impact.

If you plan to go to Aso valley, I guess that the bridge is still closed (it collapsed) and it might be that you are not allowed on Mount Aso. Check out this guide page.

Enjoy your trip to Kyushu!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/12 17:46
Japan is used to earthquakes and typhoons, they get back into life pretty quick. They get plenty of practice in recovery.

The two big typhoons in KYushu since the earthquake would've done more damage recently.

There are a few train lines out of service. And a few bridges still down. But other than that, all good.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/12 22:05
A friend of mine from UK has been living in Kumamoto for years. He experienced hard days for weeks after the earthquake. He's still living there as he used to be before the earthquake. Life goes on.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/13 04:24
One more note. Kumamoto wants your tourist money even more than before to help pay for the recovery. Go. Enjoy!
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto life after earthquake April 2016 2017/9/13 16:21
Thanks to everyone for precious information! Can't wait to meet Kumamon :)
by Glenslt85 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread