Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/19 19:27
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to join a good cooking class in Kyoto during my upcoming visit. It's my first time there, so I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused with its map and the bus and train routes. I have done a google search and came up with about 5 places that offer cooking classes.

Not sure which one to choose, and whether it is worth combining it with Nishiki Market tour or just stick to the cooking class. I know that each class has its own uniqueness, but I'm after an authentic hands on experience not just a demonstration in a place which is easily accessible by public transport.

Any recommendations or advice?

Thank you in advance
by Maria (guest)  

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 11:18
I'm wondering is someone can help me with this. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you
by Maria (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 11:46
Hi Maria,

Are you fluent in Japanese? Many many many years ago I made soba noodles in Fukui, but I was with a friend who was fluent who translated instructions for me. I don't know of any classes with instructions in English.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 12:21
Thanks rkold.

No, I'm not fluent in Japanese, but on Google there were lots of cooking classes stated to be given in English through providers like Cooking Sun, Haru Cooking Class, Kyoto Daidocoro, and other individuals who provide them at their homes.

I read great reviews about Haru Cooking Class and on Tripadvisor it was number 1 out of 38; but he states on his site that it's not a hand's on cooking experience plus I couldn't figure out how to get to his house from the instructions provided, as I said I 'm not familiar with Kyoto and its bus system. So I crossed his class off my list.

Also not sure whether it's worth adding a Nishiki Market tour with the class or just do it on my own.

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 13:01
Hi Maria,

I want to stress, I have not used them, again my only class experience was in Fukui, but based on the experiences offered by JapanIcan, Sun Kitchen definitely offers hands on classes in English.

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/ACT1N67304NNB/?typecd=TOU&kw=c...

I don't know if their prices are better or worse than booking directly.

I don't know where you are coming from, but personally, if it was me, I wouldn't use a bus at all to reach their Funayacho location. I'd take the subway to either Gojo and walk or walk it from Karasuma/Shijo depending on where I was coming from. I like to walk, This area of Kyoto is mostly flat and a grid and unlike Tokyo, most streets have names.

If you have a smartphone you can use Google Maps in Kyoto for walking. It's not perfect and sometimes tells you to turn early (because I guess it thinks you walk as fast as a car?) And again Kyoto is a grid in most places and that helps a lot. I find it flat outside of the hilly areas that surround the city. You can also use google maps from your home country to get some idea just where everything is, including where you are staying.

I've been to Nishiki Market.. it's OK I guess? I guess maybe I'm not into cooking enough that I would want a tour? Generally, I prefer tours when they are helping me do something I wouldn't be able to do otherwise, or travel someplace where I am concerned about bus/train frequency aka someplace like Gokayama or I wish I had done it for Osorezan. Nishiki Market is right near the Karasuma/Shijo Station, the Kawamachi Station and the Keihan Shijo Station. (It's across the water, but it's a really short walk. ) You will never be waiting more than 10 minutes for a train or subway unless some sort of accident has happened!

There are some places harder to get to without using the buses, but if you're willing to walk, you can get a lot of places on foot or in combination with the trains/subways. I'd just make sure you pick a convenient place to stay in Kyoto.

Good luck!

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 16:26
Thank you so much rkold.

That was really helpful and very valuable advice indeed. I don't mind walking.
I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and Melbourne city is also a grid with easy walkable streets (some are uphill with a gentle slope though) and free trams than run across and through it all the time. I guess Kyoto wouldn't be a problem in comparison, and I will do the Nishiki market with my daughter by ourselves.
My daughter and I enjoy cooking and we both love Japanese food. We like to do some mother and daughter activities every now and then, so I thought a cooking class of Japanese food while we are in Kyoto would be enjoyable and different from visiting temples, shrines and parks.

I will look into Cooking Sun further, their cooking studio doesn't seem too far from Kyoto Station, and taking the subway is a better idea than taking the bus...I guess I can see the name of the station (hopefully written in English too!).

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/23 22:19
Hi Maria,

I've done two mother daughter trips to Japan. (and a lot of trips before I had my daughter.) I suspect, my daughter is younger than yours though. I love going to Japan with her and we've had some really great experiences. Sometimes she gets bored places I want to stay longer and other times she helps me to appreciate places I might not otherwise. I feel lucky to be able to share so much with her.

I've never been to Australia (though I'd love to go!) I'm from the USA and I like to walk. You can rent bicycles in Kyoto, but I sometimes get confused about bike parking so I've not done it in a while. If you want to bike and rent bikes, post about it, and I am sure someone here will help. :)

I actually meant getting around Kyoto partially depends on where you are staying there. I admit, I try to pick places specifically near a train or subway station since if I can avoid buses I will. I didn't use one at all last trip. I also don't know your price range for accommodations. For me, staying somewhere I like is important, and now that I travel with a child I am pickier. All train and subway stops in Japan are written out in English characters. So as long as you know you want Gojo, you just get off at Gojo. The buses have more English than they use to, but are less English friendly than the trains and subways. (they can also be cramped and slow, which is my main reasons to avoid them) Most stations also have signs telling you in English which exit to use depending on where you want to be and all the street names will be written out in English characters in Kyoto as well as in Japanese. So if you want Takatsuji dori (dori means street BTW) there will be sign at bigger intersections saying Takatsuji. I love Tokyo, but it can be much harder to navigate than Kyoto which is much more straightforward. I've walked from Kyoto Station to Kiyomizudera. It was slower than the bus, but more pleasant and I stopped and visited other places on the way. Taking more subways and train lines might end up costing more than the a 1 day bus pass, but I overall enjoy the experience more. Sometimes, it's not about saving money, I am on vacation after all.

There are some lovely temples and shrines that are definitely worth a visit, but I understand too many can be overwhelming. Some temples and shrines have fun flea markets. For another break, my daughter loved the monkey park in Arashiyama.

Enjoy!

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/24 07:58
My partner and I did the Haru cooking class about 3 years ago. I would recommend it. Lovely instructor who used to run hostels so his English is perfect and his family are also really friendly. He will also help you find different sites or recommend where to eat if You're after a specific sort of food on your next nights of your trip. All recipes are provided by email afterwards. We didn't manage to get into the market tour as he only does one a week.
by Chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/24 09:53
Thanks rkold for the tips.

We will be staying near Kyoto Station for convenience.
I'm more of a tram/train than a bus person...probably because I'm used to them more given that they're more common as public transport where I live.

We are planning to visit Arashiyama, and if we have time we will certainly visit the monkey park there.

It feels that there are so many things to see and do in Japan and there is never enough time!

Hope you decide to visit the continent down under one day and to get to enjoy it, just bear in mind that the seasons are the opposite to those of the northern hemisphere. Currently, we are in Spring until November. Unless, you love beaches, avoid Australia in January and early February, it can get extremely hot and quite unpleasant.

Certainly if you need any advice regards travel tips to Australia, I would be more than happy to help.

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/9/24 09:58
Thanks Chasingme for the feedback about Haru's class.

He seemed to be a nice and well informed person from his website. But what what put me off his class is that he stated that it wasn't a hands-on cooking class, and I want one that is.

So was the class hands-on or just a demonstration?
And was it easy to reach his house?

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/10/4 01:00
Hei!
Last year we had cooking class in Ikoma, near Nara. Google Naracookeryschool.
It was really nice, cooking in private home (just us and teacher Miyako).
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cooking Class in Kyoto 2017/10/4 13:30
Thanks girlwithpearl for the suggestion.
I will see if the class time fits with our itinerary.

reply to this thread