Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can anyone translate toho kami emi tame 2005/7/14 21:06
Can anyone translate toho kami emi tame
by aikidoist  

I'm guessing 2005/7/15 13:21
I'm guessing it's "遠神忌為"
which is said as "toho kami emi tame". The meaning is very difficult to understand, it is old Japanese. It means something like "The remote god brings good fortune/The remote god's good fortune/with the remote god is good fortune" I'm sure this has some different literal meaning, I would like to know. I hope this helps atleast a little bit even though my translation is VERY rough.
by Carrie rate this post as useful

thanks 2005/7/15 20:14
thank you very much, it helpd a great deal. its acctualy an old shinto mantra for misugi practice. thanks gain.
by lars rate this post as useful

No problem 2005/7/16 02:49
No problem, i'm glad I could help. Though, I'd like to find out what this saying is supposed to mean XD

misugi 2005/7/16 04:16
I think it's: toho(sword) kami(spirit/mirrior) emi(peace?) tami(jewel)

sword, seperates truth from lie.

mirrior, reflects the world "as is" unsure though.

peace,- im unsure about this one.

jewel, multifaceted posibilities.

jan
by jan rate this post as useful

that's right 2005/7/16 14:10
Jan, this would be correct. But I have seen this written many times on the internet, the translation is very difficult, but I believe the kanji I have written is correct. The translation I wrote, however, is written in a way that it could be understood in english. Though, it is not literally what it means in Japanese, it is very difficult to understand.

Correction 2006/1/16 07:46
The shinto explanation is correct. however the kanji is wrong. The kanji are the words of a kind like a prayer and the first knaji and last kanji are so old that my computer cannot write them

toho

tame

This saying has become very popular now in japan because it is in the animation film ghost in the shell 2. If you would like to hear the song or see the kanji please by the soundtrack and listen.

thank you
by スーパーアンカー rate this post as useful

hum 2006/1/16 21:07
off the ghost in the shell soundtrack, i assume?
by Dan rate this post as useful

innocence soundtrack 2006/5/27 00:28
Hi,
I was looking for the kanji and at least at amaz**.jp on the track listing, the title of track 11 is written 遠神恵為.
My (english?) disc runs "TO KAMI EMI TAME" (it came with the video anthology of イノセンス).
Is there a chance to find the "ancient"/"former"/"correct" Kanji somewhere?
kind regards,
Andreas.
by Andreas rate this post as useful

toho kami emi tame 2006/7/29 04:02
遠神恵為
That would be,
遠神 = distant god (神 is God for sure)
恵 = blessing
and 為 or ため as it is more commonly written (tame) = "for the sake of".
Thus, 遠神恵為 = "for the sake of God, which is distant, blessings". As it means it is a prayer wishing for God's blessings. Whether "distant" is to mean "God is in heaven" or "God is far away (from here/from me)" is an interesting subject too.
by silmë rate this post as useful

Tō Kami Emi Tame 2006/10/29 15:31
Tō (tōi) = far, distant (as in "out of reach").

"Tō Kami Emi Tame" would better translate as "asking the favors of the distant God", "pleading the distant God". Remember that in the GITS movies, the ones pleading God are the cyborgs. There's a lot of symbolism about the search for humanity.
by Puppetmaster rate this post as useful

not GITS 2006/10/29 22:08
it is actually not from ghost in tha shel ost, But a mantra i heard while doing aikido, the group that did the mantra left before i had a chance to talk to them though.
by Aikidoist rate this post as useful

mantra is the wrong phrase 2006/10/30 11:33
''mantra'' strictly speaking is:

~buddhist prayer
~it means magic incantation in hindi

Shintoism doesnt have ''mantras'' it has incantations and prayers and such.

dont want to get that mixed up ^^
by kasuga rate this post as useful

tohotsu-kami megumi-tamae 2007/3/4 13:33
According to this site:
http://www.shinbudokai.org/sbk/seminar.html

"TO-HO-KA-MI-E-MI-TA-ME". The origin of these eight sounds derives from the words of "tohotsu-kami megumi-tamae". The "tohotsu-kami" is the equivalent to the TO-HO-KA-MI, and the "megumi-tamae" to the E-MI-TA-ME. The word "tohotsu" means "farther"; "kami" means "god" and "megumi-tamae" means "to have mercy on". Thus, the words "tohotsu-kami megumi-tamae" mean "Gods in the heavens! Have mercy on me"
by Tyler Kinkade rate this post as useful

elements 2007/3/23 13:11
the answer is in basic elements , look water reflects , but not perfectly. the sky see's heat . The sky show's the future ( at least to them) and the night is " reality"
Old things make real thoughts, it is what it is .
by jrm rate this post as useful

Misogi 2008/7/22 04:57
The words in question are used in certain training rooted in Shinto practice called misogi. It is practiced at the Ichikukai Dojo, and used as a training method by Ki No Kenkyukai. For the purposes of the training, the meaning of the words don't make any difference. The words have a rather cryptic meaning: TO HO, a double edged sword, implies the ability to cut or discern; KA MI, the mirror, represents the mind which is calm and unclouded and sees all things clearly; E MI, the smile, means a state of joy; TA ME, the jewel, a round flawless object which can roll about freely, represents the mind which can adapt freely to changing circumstances. It is no surprise that these words can be translated in a number of different ways. They represent very basic images of Japanese myth and history. They are probably related to the Imperial Regalia of Japan, which are said to be gifts from the gods to the first Emperor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan.
by Mark Rubbert rate this post as useful

Nishioka Kazuhiko 2010/9/14 15:29
In Chinese characters it is usually written as 吐普加美依身多女(or 米 ). The expression consists of five signs that are inscribed on a deer bone or turtle shell during ''turtle shell divination'' (kiboku), a practice that goes back to ancient times. The phrase is also used as a magical incantation, although it is not clear when such vocalization began. In this case, the phrase is separated into five parts, ''to, ho, kami, emi, tame,'' the meaning of which has been interpreted variously. For example, the late Heian ritual handbook entitled Protocols of the Ōe Family (Gōke shidai) associated the five parts with water, fire, kami, humans, and earth, respectively. Other authorities have equated them with the five elements: water, fire, wood, metal, and earth. In the medieval period the Urabe family used the phrase as the main component of the three great purification rites (sanshu ōharae). Some Shintoists in the early modern period identified the phrase as the ''heavenly great norito,'' interpreting its meaning as ''Kami of a great distance (tōtsu-kami, thus, toho-kami), give us blessings and smile upon us (megumi tamae, emi tamae, thus emitame).''
by passing trough (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread