community-forum community-penpal community-userReports destinations-admission destinations-beenThere-outline destinations-beenThere-solid destinations-city_outline destinations-city_solid destinations-closedDays destinations-date destinations-getThere destinations-hotels destinations-hoursFees destinations-itineraries-3 destinations-links destinations-nearbySpots destinations-pin-simple-outline destinations-pin-simple destinations-sortBy-dots destinations-thumbsUp destinations-tours destinations-town destinations-wishlist-heart-outline destinations-wishlist-heart-solid interests-agriculture interests-amusementParks interests-beaches interests-castles interests-city_solid interests-contemporaryArt interests-events interests-festivals interests-flowers interests-foodDrink interests-gardens interests-hiking interests-historicSites interests-industry interests-koyo-single interests-koyo interests-mangaAnime interests-museums interests-nature interests-onsen interests-parks interests-pottery interests-sakura-single interests-sakura interests-scenicRides interests-shopping interests-shrines interests-skiing interests-snow interests-sumo interests-temples interests-traditionalArts interests-traditionalTheater interests-viewpoints interests-volcanoes interests-wildlife interests-winterIlluminations news-section planning-section planning-tickets-2 planning-transportation-access planning-transportation-bicycle planning-transportation-boat-2 planning-transportation-boat planning-transportation-bus planning-transportation-car planning-transportation-plane planning-transportation-shinkansen planning-transportation-tickets planning-transportation-train planning-transportation-walk shapes-chevron-down shapes-circle shapes-star social-fb social-gplus social-instagram social-twitter social-youtube ui-alert-construction ui-alert-warning ui-calendar ui-date ui-globe ui-lightbulb ui-no_entry ui-ok ui-pencil ui-reverse ui-search ui-time ui-video-play ui-x user-avatar

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

how bad are street gangs in japan? 2006/1/25 13:58
In some of the animes i watch I see that street gangs of all kinds roam the streets of japan at night. I know it is not as bad as the shows make them out to be but i am courous on how bad the gangs in japan really are. can you tell me?
by uco  

.. 2006/1/25 15:32
As you know Japan on average has a lower crime rate than most other developed nations.

Street crime, if you mean petty street crime committed by organized gangs are relativly low, yes you do have pickpockets, you do have purse snatchers and supermarket robberies, but on average crime is very low.

In fact, larger groups like the Yakuza (Organized crime) looks down apon petty crime too! I know its hard to believe but its true.

So its not as bad as its portrayed in Anime, a lot of tings in anime are overblown.
by .. rate this post as useful

gangs 2006/1/25 15:37
theres the bosozoku who agre basically guys under 20, so they cant be arrrested, who drive around on really loud motorbikes, and in really loud cars. They have been known to kill people but not often. Certain time sof the year they will all drive somewhere taking up the whole road and breaking through the toll gates. These people may be who your anime is depicting.

There is graffiti here and there mostly tagging type stuff but there arent real gang areas like parts of LA where you cant walk day or night. I suggest googling "gangs in Japan" and reading Junichi Saga's book Confessions of a Yakuza.
by jk rate this post as useful

Street Gangs 2007/4/3 12:12
so i'd take it that there are no crip or blood sets in japan... cuz there are crips in other parts of asia and it's as bad as the ones u hear about in L.A.
by J.J. rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/3 18:00
"theres the bosozoku who agre basically guys under 20, so they cant be arrrested" - they can be arrested, but don't get a criminal record
by gozomark rate this post as useful

suprised 2007/4/4 04:49
Yeah I was suprised there were crips in Asia. One of my freinds, who is a crip, said he got introduced to them while he was in Korea, because his dad was in the army and stationed there.
by Dylan rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/4 04:53
No You don't find them in Japan much if any at all. If I remember in my studies, the Yakuza even though they are organized crime (and violent at each other) look down apon petty street crime often committed by gangs and such.
by John rate this post as useful

bosozoku 2007/4/5 02:41
I came across bosozoku in Osaka and Sendai a couple of years ago and consider yourself unlucky if they are in the area of your hotel as you won't get a wink of sleep all night. Those guys keep revving their bikes and making an incredible noise. At 4AM I was ready to shoot them or throw a Molotov cocktail among them. In Sendai it started early in the evening with youngsters on bikes driving at high speed through the pedestrians crossing the streets forcing young and old to jump for their lives. The local kouban closed the door and pretended not to be there or the police man was out checking Gaijin cards :-) Anyhow, the police didn't appear to do much against them. I'm sure that they are still around, but it is one of those things Japanese people just don't want to talk about.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

@_@ 2007/4/8 04:20
Uhm, when I was in Japan, I saw a gang in Himeji... they had red or blue overalls, and special haircuts and stuff... like uniforms. xD

They didn't do much though, just yelled at the police and littered, while sitting in a circle in the middle of the street...
does anybody know anything about... these gangs? @_@
by Rikupon rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/8 05:57
Are you sure that was a "gang" or somesort of ultra nationalist group doing somesort of protest.

Bosozoku 2007/4/8 11:31
Rikupon,

That sounds like a typical "bosozoku" group. See earlier posts in this thread.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

gangs 2007/4/9 13:54
That does sound like classic bosozoku. Quite unusual to see these days.

Really gangs affect the everyday life of people in japanese cities very little, if at all.

When I used to live in Yokohama I got woken up on Saturday nights in summer by bosozoku roaring up and down the highways near my apartment, but since I moved to Tokyo I don't hear them at all.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Yakuza? 2007/8/15 18:52
Okay so im heading to Tokyo for school this month. Just about every one who hears im leaving always warns me of the Yakuza. Are they a threat to gaijin?? Why are they so internationally renowned?
by Britt rate this post as useful

yakuza 2007/8/16 03:25
I actually encountered Yakuza on the Hayama Beach. My friend (both of us are half japanese) had the brilliant idea of pretending to be total americans, not knowing how to speak Japanese at all. She looks more American than I do, so I think they believed us. She wanted a picture with them. The heavily tattooed guy was buried under the sand while his buddies made an enormous sand penis and breasts. Apparently he was trying to tell my friend, in Japanese, to get on top of the tattooed guy to pretend to have sex with him. Then they would take the picture. Still pretending to speak only English, we took the picture.
Here it is:
http://x9e.xanga.com/dafc1466c7d32141955458/m104768060.jpg
unfortunately, you can't see his tattoos cuz he's buried.. but he was tattooed all over.
by Miko rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/16 03:47
Britt,
the Yakuza don't mess with with you unless you mess with them.

So unless you plan on going to Japan and starting a crime syndicate, I wouldn't worry too much about it, in fact I wouldn't worry about it at all.

??? 2007/8/16 08:15
Britt, have the people who are warning you about the yakuza ever been to Japan? I'm guessing no, because you could be here for years and never lay eyes on a real yakuza, and even if you did you wouldn't even be on his radar. Yakuza are the least of your worries, seriously.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Yakuza 2007/8/16 08:22
Britt,

Why are they so internationally renowned?

I'm not sure, but I guess it is because of the way they have been portrayed and glamorized in Hollywood films over the years. It's much like the way the image people have about ninja - and capsule hotels - has little relation to reality.

Re:Miko's post 2007/8/16 17:23
I can agree with Miko's post.

A man I know goes to Japan quite a lot for business. He has told me about the several times he has met Yakuza, and he's said every time he'd met them they were quite fun and friendly. THey knew he was a foreigner, because his Japanese was limited and in an English accent, but he has told me of the conversations he has had with them and they all seemed friendly.

He is of the opinion that they are "if you are good to us, then we won't trouble you" kind of gang. As long as you don't go out to annoy them, I think you will be totally fine!
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/8/17 04:07
haha thanks guys. Nice to know.
I know im dragging this on a little but i also read that people with lots of tattoos are often rejected from certain places because they look like these gang members. My dad is pretty heavily tattood, he has 32! Hes also very fare and has white hair. Would it be a problem showing him around if he was visiting?
by Britt rate this post as useful

Tattoos 2007/8/17 07:53
Britt,

Would it be a problem showing him around if he was visiting?

Only if you planned to visit onsens or sentos.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

reply to this thread