Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Odawara 2006/6/11 23:53
I don't have the JR Pass but would like to experience the speed of the Shinkansen during my one-day trip to Hakone. Here are some questions:

1. How do I find out the round-trip fare between Tokyo and Odawara? The JR website indicates that a one-way trip would cost about 3,600 yen but I'd like to know if there's a discount for a same-day-return trip.

2. Does the Shinkansen run at full speed between Shin-Yokohama and Odawara?

3. Where can I find the train schedules for these two stations (Tokyo and Odawara)?

Thanks for your time!
by Ailiton  

... 2006/6/12 10:21
1. How do I find out the round-trip fare between Tokyo and Odawara? The JR website indicates that a one-way trip would cost about 3,600 yen but I'd like to know if there's a discount for a same-day-return trip.

No, there is no discount for a round trip ticket. 3600 yen is the approximate one way fare if you are using reserved seats. However, I recommend to use non-reserved seats, which cost only 3130 Yen for the one way journey.

If you want to save money, I recommend to take local trains (JR or Odakyu) back to Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

2. Does the Shinkansen run at full speed between Shin-Yokohama and Odawara?

Yes, pretty much.

Where can I find the train schedules for these two stations (Tokyo and Odawara)?

Here:
http://jr-central.co.jp/eng.nsf/english/timetable
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shinkansen - Tokyo to Odawara 2007/2/26 17:22
Hi, how fast does the shinkansen go between Tokyo and Odawara? Full speed?

I am considering between Shinkansen + Hakone free pass (purchased from Odawara) or Hakone free pass only, no Shinkansen (purchased from Shinjuku)
by CM rate this post as useful

From Tokyo to Odawara by shinkansen 2007/2/26 17:47
From Tokyo to Odawara it is mainly the kodama shinkansen which runs: Tokyo-Shinagawa-ShinYokohama-Odawara. For the 55 km between ShinYokohama and Odawara it is 16 minutes, this means around 207 km per hour speed.
by Peter rate this post as useful

What about Hikari? 2007/2/26 17:50
Hi Peter, what about the Hikari Shinkansen? Doesn't it go from Tokyo to Odawara?

http://jr-central.co.jp/eng.nsf/english/timetable
by CM rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/26 17:58
From Tokyo Station to Odawara it is about 40 minutes travel time by Kodama Shinkansen, a few Hikari trains make the run in a slightly shorter time.

The thing I would take into consideration is you're paying more to ride the Shinkansen (about 3500yen one way), than you would to ride a regular train from Shinjuku or Tokyo Station, and for about 870yen more you can ride an Odakyu Romance car from Shinjuku Station with your Hakone Free Pass, its a comfortable train and makes the run in about 1hr 20 minutes, plus that those trains continue running right into the Hakone area, so you won't need to transfer at Odawara.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/26 18:02
Note: Not all hikari shinkansen stop at Odawara.
by John rate this post as useful

shinkansen to try 2007/2/26 18:44
CM,
The following hikari stop at Odawara ex Tokyo 06.36 h, 08.36 h, 10.36 h, 13.36 h, 15.36 h, 17.36 h. They just skip the stop at Shinagawa but stop ShinYokohama so have same speed between ShinYokohama and Odawara. There is no non-stop service Tokyo Odawara. The longest non-stop from Tokyo on that line would be a nozomi shinkansen between Shinagawa and Nagoya. Nozomi do not stop at Odawara.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Hikari 2007/2/27 05:25
The average speed is indeed 207Km/h, but it takes about 4 km to reach the top speed, and another 5 Km to stop the train, the top speed is in fact about 263 Km/h. The fastest Hikari, is the Railstar between Osaka and Fukuoka, at some parts the Railstar speeds to 291Km/h.
(I know this because my cell-phone is having GPS and can calculate the actual speed,lol).
by Johny rate this post as useful

... 2007/2/27 11:29
Yes, I believe that trains (hikari and kodama) reach the allowed top speed of 275 km/h between Shin-Yokohama and Odawara.

If you travel by non-reserved seat, you pay "only" 3130 Yen for the one way journey Tokyo-Odawara:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Odawara 2007/2/27 20:50
is also a good place to make photos of speeding Shinkansens like the 500 en 700 series Nozomi's . They go really fast through this station. Other good places to make photos,are Fuji-Shin en Maibara.
by Johny rate this post as useful

Nozomi b/w shinagawa and shin yokohama 2008/4/1 18:46
Hi ,
I am interested to know if nozomi shinkansen runs at 300 Kmph between shinagawa and shin-yokohama.
by Rajesh rate this post as useful

300 km/h 2008/4/1 19:57
Rajesh,

I am interested to know if nozomi shinkansen runs at 300 Kmph between shinagawa and shin-yokohama.

Between Shinagawa and Shin-Yokohama, the maximum speed is limited to (I think) 170 km/h due to residential noise restrictions, so it is fairly sedate. To experience 300 km/h you need to go west of Shin-Kobe, as the maximum speed on the Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka is 270 km/h.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread