Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Entry into Japan with a criminal record 2006/8/8 14:05
Hi, I am enquiring about a friend getting in to Japan in November 2007 for a International competition he has won that is being held in Japan. He has a criminal record of causing bodily harm. I have read the other questions people have posted and noticed one guy got in this year with a criminal record no questions asked but there was something in there about the fingerprinting coming into place in Nov 07 is this going to affect anything? I have tried everywhere to get answers and no one can help me or unless i speak Japanese. So all and any information is handy. I don't want him rocking up to the airport then being sent back on the plane. please help. Thanks
by WorldSkills  

passport 2006/8/8 18:20
Check the following: Does he have a passport allowing him to leave home country. If yes, does your home country need visa for tourist visit to Japan? If he gets visa its oK. If visa free visit, does Japan know about the crime?
by Peter rate this post as useful

.... 2006/8/8 22:21
I just visited Japan in June with criminal record. I, too worried about it badly since I wanted to come with my wife and kids. My wife is Japanese so she called Japanese Embassy and asked what to do and they told me to get visa but when we got there, they told me I didn't need it, even clark there look through all the paperwork (court record of drug arrest). I lied on immigration card when entering Japan, but when I got there at passport check, they didn't aask me anything. I was with 2 of my kids, though. They didn't check my passport and just put the stamp on it. I was very happy to be with my wife and kids since I worried about it to death. When I came out form the passport check, my wife said, "You are already out? She was surprised to see me so quick since alot of people were in the line and we were almost in the end of the ine. You know what maybe I was with 2 kids, that's why I was able to get in. Who knows. I wanna go back to Japan. My wife's family were so so nice and it was better place thatn the US. I wish I could live there. My kids love there, too. That was life changing experience for me. I hope eveything will go OK with your friend.
by Red rate this post as useful

Response 2006/8/9 09:02
Thank you for your response. We are in Australia. He has a passport but apparently you don't need a visa to go to Japan if you are only going to be there for 2 weeks. ( he is there for a competition so he will be supervised the whole time which helps matters) I've tried to ask the tokyo immigration but they would not answer my e-mail unless it was in Japanese. This was my last resort.
by WorldSkills rate this post as useful

97% ok 2006/8/9 13:13
I agree with the answer above, though I couldn't be 100%. I mean, how could they check his fingerprints, what database do they have?

I have a criminal record from Oz and have no probs. Whatever you do, don't admit to it on any forms and its highly likely they will find out.
by Bewildered Beast rate this post as useful

.. 2006/8/9 13:33
Its hard to tell because the system is not in place yet. Some say the fingerprint system will be connected to somesort of international database, now whats on that database, no clue at all.
by .. rate this post as useful

Thanks 2006/8/9 13:54
Hey thanks for your replies. I think he is just gonna have to risk it. I spose there is nothing else he can really do. I just can't seem to get any confirmation that there will be no probs to get in. Thanks again
by Thanks rate this post as useful

Entering Japan with Record 2006/8/9 14:59
Japan normally allows a visa free 90 day stay upon arrival to most Western nation passport holders.
The entry form filled out before arrival does not ask if the traveller has a criminal record.
Unless the traveller admits to having a criminal record the Japanese immigration will not know of this record.
Remember, 99% of all information a government possesses is only due to individuals giving up that information, orally or in writing.
Fingerprinting upon arrival: Unless the traveller has a criminal record in Japan, the fingerprint record is solely to verify the identical individual arrives and departs Japan within the terms of the visa, check in check out. There is no connection or linkup to any other international databases.
I hope this answers the issue.
by Consultant rate this post as useful

Great 2006/8/9 15:14
Thats great thanks it does answer my questions. I can finally let him know that it will be fine.
Thanks again
by WorldSkills rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/9 22:30
If you have a criminal record its not the end of the world, we all need a chance to prove outselves worthy of changing for the good :) I've once met a guy from Canada who has a record back at home - drug related, but he still managed to obtain a Japanese Working Holiday Visa for around 1 year.

Unless you're wanted by the INTERPOL I think its safe to assume you can travel anywhere, particularly to Japan where Australians don't need to apply for a Visa beforehand.

Its hard to get to the US however these days even for traveling, they have this stressful interview where they bombard you with every question and they look at your records - before they hand you a 10 year visitor's visa. Many friends have had their applications rejected.

Japan is therefore relatively good.
by rouge rate this post as useful

Thinking of moving 2006/8/17 01:06
about 5 years ago i got caught with a class a drugs and got a fine and community service. My wife is Japanese and we want to move to Japan next year, Should i say i have a record on the visa form or shall i keep queit???

Please help!!
by hopefull rate this post as useful

sounds like you're ok 2006/8/17 12:07
I believe the line is drawn at felonies. If you do have a felony, expect to have your butt put back on a plane in a not-necessarily-friendly fashion. I bet you're safe though.
by shams rate this post as useful

Criminal Record in Japan 2008/5/28 08:51
All that data is really interesting , still have some doubts about it, as someone said before , yeah If you commit a felony then hell yeah you must face the consecuences, and I'm talking straigth when comes to this since I held a suspended sentence in Japan (It was due yesterday...) lost my student visa and had to leave for good.

Removing the bad experience and my lack of judgement that lead me to have that horrible moment , I really love Japan and if I had the chance will travel there once again. But as far as my research had taken me.. nothing is clear.

1) Some sources tells me after the suspended sentence period ends one can apply for visa at the embassy and most surely they will deny it, unless there is an open invitation or there are strong ties in Japan (very vague and oblique)

2)Other sources said 5 years had to pass since the sentence was due in order to have a period of rehabilitation therefore the goverment will think you are a good boy and let you have a visa again, with some restrictions as told in point 1 (this also happens on immigration visa grantin in Oz and Canada as well )

In both cases, even with a Visa granted at the embassy, the agent at the port of entry has the last word on the issue. SO, even if they granted the permit if the guy there doesnt like what he sees then you are kicked out. (All this data was collected from the actual migration laws, some sources online and asking directly to my country embassy in Japan , I have to say none of those 3 sources gave an official and clear version, leaving lots of holes)

All this has thinking over and over about if I can ever go back to Japan and visit some good people I left behind, plus visiting some place I left unchecked in my first 2 year adventure.

Its really schocking as well to know I hold a US Visa and I have go in and out 3 times since I left Japan, and never had a word about that dot on my record... I also tried to contact the migration office in Japan but as some other person told.. they only accept questions in Japanese, so I had mine translated.. and had no reply at all.. LOL

In the end what Im trying to acomplish here is make just one more further review on my research and ask if someone knows exactly if there is a chance to enter Japan again on that particular situation. Also if someone happens to be in this particular scenario, I would like to share views on the subject , thanks

by Jules rate this post as useful

Travel 2008/8/25 16:27
I really want to get some real experienced advice. If having criminal record, does it mean no entry to Japan for travelling?
by Loving rate this post as useful

Highly unlikely you would be stopped 2008/8/26 11:43
I do criminal background checks for my job. I have traveled to Japan a number of times on vacation, as well as about 50 other countries.

There is no information about your criminal background encoded in your passport. You will not be asked anything about criminal activities when you go into Japan (except, "What is the purpose of your visit?" if that applies...). The only possibility for "getting caught" is if Interpol is looking for you, or you commited a serious crime in Japan on a previous visit. The warning about drug-related crimes is mostly focused on international drug-traficking.

The fingerprinting won't match you up with your US criminal record. It takes a number of days to run a fingerprint check through the FBI--it isn't instant. Japan would not be able to directly link with the FBI anyway.

The fingerprinting is supposedly aimed at stopping terrorists--either people coming in and out of Japan multiple times without a valid purpose, or people for whom there is already a match in a database of terrorist suspects. It's hard to see how it will accomplish that, but...
by ginnyfsf rate this post as useful

Fingerprint database 2008/9/2 18:21
I read some newspaper that Japan immigration instantly addressed 95 "suspects" by the fingerprint database in the first month of implementation. The system contains 800,000 people's details. What kind of info in the database? I don't know.
My friend has criminal record. If he lies in the immigration form, will his record match with the database and got caught?
It is difficult to see.
by Loving rate this post as useful

Better not disclose criminal record 2008/12/16 14:33
Would like to ask, is it better not to disclose the criminal record?

All of you haven't disclosed?

Also, anyone tried that have disclosed the criminal record and finally allow to enter (or really deported?)
by Advice Needed rate this post as useful

details of my entry 2009/9/21 01:57
I travelled to Japan on holiday in February '09 from the UK. I have a minor criminal record and served 3 months in prison a few years ago.

The immigration form I was given on the plane *did* ask if I had a criminal record. I opted to be honest and was interviewed by an inspector upon arrival.

He checked all details of the conviction, etc. I was admitted after a short wait and was advised that if I had served 2 years or more in prison I would not be able to enter the country. Because of my short sentence, I was allowed in.

I was also advised that for future visits it would be helpful to bring any documentation relating to the circumstances, plus additional identification (driving licence or such like).

Hope that helps.
by Manxbull (guest) rate this post as useful

Criminal Records & Japan 2009/10/10 01:56
After speaking with Consulates in Chicago and Los Angeles about Visa and Visa Waivers along with criminal records, here is information I have discovered that could be useful to potential travelers:

1. Any USA drug charge can be grounds for refusal of entry (misdemeanor or felony).

2. Other crimes of misdemeanor including DUI probably would not prevent entry.

3. Felonies almost always prevent entry.

The Consulate in L.A. recommended if you have any type of drug charge to first apply for a Visa to see if entrance will be allowed before flying over.
The disembarkment card on the plane asks "Have you been found guilty of a crime in Japan or another country? YES/NO"

Some people on this site and others state that they just fly over to get through on a Visa Waiver from the U.S.A. And they either tell the truth on the form and get questioned then allowed in, or turned away.
Some say they do not mark YES on the form and they get in, although it is a nervewracking and dishonest experience.

I have never visited Japan but hope to one day. This I will tell you:

Canada is very strict about admitting anyone from USA with a criminal record. I went there (I have 3 misdemeanors on record) with my wife who has a DUI on record(supposed to bar you into Canada). The immigration officer scanned our passports and asked us what we were doing; told him in a happy way that we are vacationing together. I do not know if he checked our records but he let us in the country.

It seems to be up to the Immigration Official ultimately. Even if you have a Visa granted from Japan before flying over, the Immigration officers can still deny entry if they choose.

In short, no matter what you do, trying to visit Japan with a criminal record seems very much to be a roll of the dice. There is no sure answer. It may depend on how well you planned ahead, how much money you have, how you appear when you show up at Immigration, etc.

There is no clear answer whether you will be let in. That can be hard pill to swallow.
by Northernfistof (guest) rate this post as useful

Continued from previous post 2009/10/10 03:34
As an update to above, the Japanese consulate in Miami told me that getting into Japan with a misdemeanor record from over 5 years ago should not be a problem, as long as no longer than 1 year was spent in jail. Obviously, coming with a solid plan for a hotel or residence to stay can be very important.

Proving again, there seems to be no solid answer on the subject!
by Northernfistof (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread