Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 6: Posts 1 - 20 of 105

1 2 3 4 5 6
next

Full Cast Technology: GET Program 2006/9/18 00:05
I was recently offered a spot in the Global Engineering Trainee program at Full Cast Technology. The program would involve me training in Embedded Software as well as Japanese language lessons. The program is 9 months, 3 in San Jose, 6 in Tokyo. After 3 months I would have to reach equivalent of Level 3 Japanese on the JPLT, and by the end of the 6 months in Tokyo, I would need to be at Level 2 Japanese. Is this possible? or an unreasonable expectation?

Also, after finishing the 9 months, I would be fully employed by FCT and given this compensation:

210 000 yen/month, 50% of my housing fee would be paid by FCT, FCT also pays for my transit to and from work regardless of where my home is.

Would that be enough to live in Japan? Or, is that not enough to keep the bills paid?
by Jason  

... 2006/9/18 08:48
It depends on your current Japanese level! If you do not have any language skills now, it will be very difficult, especially if you are not familiar with Chinese characters (kanji) yet.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2006/9/18 08:51
I have studied 1 year of Chinese in China, so I know probably 1500 Chinese simplified characters, and I have a basic knowledge of Japanese, which includes: the hirakana, katakana, and some basic vocabulary and phrases.

Does this help?
by Jason rate this post as useful

... 2006/9/18 09:13
Yes, the Chinese language background should prove useful. Still, it took me several years to reach the level 2, but I was not based in Japan, nor did I study intensively, nor am I a good language learner.

So, it may be possible if you study very intensively and are good at learning languages.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2006/9/18 19:28
Thanks for the input.

Do you by any chance have an idea about whether that compensation package should be sufficient for life in Tokyo or elsewhere in Japan?

Also.... 2006/10/4 15:47
Yeah, They also offered me this oppurtunity, But I am not sure about it... actually I have the same question as you, Jason. I am confused about the living expenses during my 6-month training in Tokyo.
by HHH rate this post as useful

Contact 2006/10/4 18:31
Hi HHH,
It's good to know I've reached someone else who's possibly headed in the same direction as far as career and Japan are concerned. I was wondering if you'd like to trade contact info, so that we could get in touch. Perhaps we have perspectives and information that we could share and help each other out. If so, let me know how I can reach you by e-mail.
Jason

... 2006/10/4 18:39
http://www.fc-tec.co.jp/whatsnew/pdf/060911.pdf

At least the tie-up that the company has with the language school in Tokyo seems to be a sincere attempt to procure high quality engineering staff, which the company needs, with good language capability. The press release article is only in Japanese, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

Jason... 2006/10/16 15:52
Jason,

I'll be joining the GET Program too very soon. If you want to trade information, etc. you can contact me at: almuzel@gmail.com

-NM
by NM rate this post as useful

What is the GET Program? 2006/10/26 14:36
Hi, I am interested in this trainee program, as I am about to graduate soon and would like to enter an international trainee program.

Can anyone tell me more about it, like how to apply and is there a website for it?
by en rate this post as useful

websites 2006/10/26 22:29
http://www.fc-tec.co.jp/index.html
FULLCAST TECHNOLOGY

http://www.ebpass.com/
EBPass

It's by Full Cast Tech, however EBPass runs the San Jose leg.

Yet another prospect 2006/11/4 13:48
I am also perusing the GET Program route. I will not be able to join the actual program for some time, but I am currently working toward it. I'm minoring in Japanese and will have two BS degrees so I fit the qualifications. I would like to stay in contact with you guys as well and hear your thoughts on the program as you go through it and get more info on the lodging situation. Even on what kinds of things they have you doing once you're done with the training.
by Steven rate this post as useful

.... 2006/12/5 06:37
Jason,
Could you tell me how you were offered a spot with fullcast? Did you pass the interview stage first?
I have submitted the resume thru website but got no response yet.. Is that the right step?

Thanks for your insight.
by Yohan rate this post as useful

The Process 2006/12/5 10:42
I'm not Jason but I can answer your question.

The process is first submit your resume. Here's the website:
http://www.careerbuilder-japan.com/eng/

Next they will send you a questionnaire to fill out.

If they like your answers they will email you asking to set up a phone interview.

After the phone interview you will meet them and take a logic test and a computer programming test.

If you pass they will call you back to get the ball rolling on offically joining the program.
by MAW rate this post as useful

re: Yohan 2006/12/5 11:44
Yohan,

Sorry, I saw your post, and forgot to reply.

I saw the careerbuilder website from a link on a NYC Craigslist posting. I e-mailed them my resume and cover letter.

In response, they sent me a questionnaire to fill out that is pretty basic. The questions pertained to my technical background, familiarity with Japanese language and culture, why I want to go to Japan, why I want to have a career in engineering. It is only a 1 page exel sheet. It doesn't take long at all.

I was contacted a couple of days later about a phone interview. The phone interview is mostly for Mr. Seto giving you more information about the GET program and the interview process.

The main points are that the next stage would involve a test at the office on Broad Street, NY, however, I am not from NYC.

If you're not from NYC, you can (ircc), submit 2 essays (1 about why you want to be an engineer, 1 about why you are an appropriate candidate for this GET Program) and your university transcripts.

I was a bit weary about accepting a job from a guy and a company I'd never heard of or seen in person, so I opted to make a small holiday of it and go to NYC and visit some family and friends.

So, the other option, the screening test, consists of meeting Mr. Seto and discussing the program in more detail. He has a PPT slide show, You definitely learn more detail than in the previous phone interview.

The test consists of 2 parts: 1. IQ 2. Technical. the Technical consists of 2 parts as well: a) hardware, b) software.

For the software you'd need to write a few lines of C code.

The hardware makes up the larger portion of the technical test, however the IQ test is the most important part of the screening test.

If you do well on the technical test you may be placed further along in the program, but if you don't pass the IQ test, I believe you're automatically rejected.

After that point, you'll be e-mailed about the results, and if you've passed, Mr. Seto will set up a time to call you to extend an offer to you.

Does that answer any questions? Raise any others?

JYL

.... 2006/12/6 04:18
MAW and Jason,

Thanks so much for the insight. I learned much more from you guys who are already in the program.

Yes, I am not from NYC.
BTW, what is ircc?

Jason, from your 1st post I wondered when you should take your JLPT test.
From the timeline, they require you to pass the JLPT level 3 after 3 months. But to my knowledge, JLPT test is offered only once a year.

Best regards,

Yohan
by Yohan rate this post as useful

re: Yohan 2006/12/6 04:41
Hi Yohan

I have actually decided to pass on the GET Program, mostly because I am not as interested in continuing my path in IT/Engineering, though I would like to go to Japan later. So I am not actually in the program now.

As for the JPLT, it will just be a test held by EBPass that will be of the same difficulty of JPLT Level 3, so it is not an official test.

JYL

GET interest 2006/12/27 14:33
Hey guys, Im also interested in the GET program. Thanks for all the information. I graduated with a ECE degree in 2004. Since i've been doing field engineering so pretty much my programming knowldege has decayed. Do you think this will hurt me in the initial entre tests? Jason also had some good questions that I think weren't answered...Does the compensation they provide enough to live off of? Feel free to email me
n.jandroep@gmail.com
by Tony rate this post as useful

re: Tony 2006/12/27 14:50
Tony,
As stated above, I have decided to pass on the program, but I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge based on what I have learned so far.

The test has the two parts 1. IQ and 2. Technical. In the technical test the hardware consumes most of your time. The software part requires some very basic coding in C, so it should not be that much of a problem.

Also, the primary concern is the IQ test, which most any university graduate should find alright (knock on wood).

Based on conversations with Japanese friends, the compensation provided (once you start work full-time after completing the entire GET program) is actually quite a nice package for that skill level (basically an entry level engineer) in Japan. Though, since I have not actually lived in Japan on that salary i cannot affirm that 100%, perhaps someone else can dispute this claim?

Additional info 2007/1/1 08:21
I actually got an offer by ebpass to join the GET program.

But I have not decided yet whether I should join or not.

You have to go through 9 months of unpaid training before you start work. And during that time you have to learn JP up to the equivalent of JLPT2 level.

Also during your initial 3 months in San Jose, the section operated by ebpass, you need to submit a deposit of around $1000. Once you pass the training and the interview with Fullcast in Japan (in Japanese, I am assuming at JLPT3 level) then they give you your deposit back and you go to Tokyo for the rest of the training.

Does anyone know how reliable this company is in Japan?
by en rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 6: Posts 1 - 20 of 105

1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread