Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When talking to my little brother... 2006/12/20 10:53
WHen talking to my little brother, how should I call him?

Name-kun? Or is there a special term?
by Gabuieru Karonu  

,,, 2006/12/20 13:18
Name-kun this is OK
other eg
Name-chan
Name
his nickname
they would be also OK,i think
by ** rate this post as useful

otouto 2006/12/20 15:58
You can also say "otouto". This is a word for younger brother.
Name-kun is also okay.
by ane rate this post as useful

... 2006/12/20 17:24
I believe you use "ototo" when talking about your younger brother, but you don't use "ototo" when addressing your younger brother. It is the same with the younger sister (imoto).

Older brothers and sisters, however, are commonly addressed as "oni-san" or "oni-chan" resp. "one-san" or "one-chan".
by Uji rate this post as useful

Just call him by his name 2006/12/21 04:02
Why not just call your little brother by his regular name and no suffix. Many japanese people do that.

It's not really important to add a suffix to a family members name, only when talking to strangers (and even then it depends on who you talk to).
by whats in a name? rate this post as useful

... 2006/12/21 08:45
It's not really important to add a suffix to a family members name, only when talking to strangers (and even then it depends on who you talk to).

I believe you are not supposed to use suffixes, at all, when talking about your family members to strangers. This is when you are supposed to use ototo, imoto, ani, ane, chichi, haha, etc. At least, this is how it used to be. Nowadays, most young Japanese people refer to their father as oto-san etc., even when talking to strangers.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/22 03:00
I'm pretty sure that when talking to your younger siblings, you would just call them by their given name, with no suffixes.
by Jay rate this post as useful

Family members. 2007/10/8 06:32
Members of the Family

Otousan- Father Okaasan- Mother
Oniisan- Older brother
Oneesan- Older sister
Imouto- Younger sister
Otouto- Younger brother
Obaasan- Grandmother/ Aunt
Ojiisan- Grandfather/Uncle
Musuko- Son
Musume- Daughter
Mago- Grandchild
Itouko- Cousin

ah...hope it helps?
by Rurouni Piko rate this post as useful

There are several ways... 2008/2/12 07:08
I think you call him "otouto" . But then again, you can always call him by his name!

(p.s. if he's being nice, add kun! If he annoys you, call him a girl and add chan. I do that to my little brother sometimes....^_^
by Miko rate this post as useful

whatever the family decides 2008/2/12 11:44
As mentioned, you don't "call" your brother "ototo" when talking to him directly.

You usually call him how you've called him all his life. A younger brother usually has been living with you all his life. When he is born, he is given a name (like Thomas). Some families call this baby by his official name (like Thomas), while some families or family members call this baby by his nickname (like Tommy). Family members usually keep using this nickname forever. For example, even when he becomes 30 years old, too old to be called "Tommy", his girlfriend might call him "Thomas" or "Tom" but his folks might keep calling him "Tommy".

That's the way it is. If there is a baby named "Shota", his older sis can call him "Shota" or "Sho" or "Sho-chan" or "Sho-kun" or whatever.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Family Members 2008/2/13 13:51
Hi Rurouni Piko, Uco & Uji,

What are the words for,
Mother in Law, Father in Law
Sister in law, wifes uncle or aunt ?

Thanking you in advance

by Student rate this post as useful

little brother 2008/9/13 08:59
im curently teaching my brother to call me Gab-Chan or Onee-chan, and i call him Name-kun or name-chan.

hope that help, though i doubt it will. LOL!!
by Gabuieru-Chan rate this post as useful

? 2009/2/6 04:48
Actually i think it depends if you really want to call your brother with a higher respect.It's also called Honorifics,not suffix.I'd just use it as a nickname.
by Nobody (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2009/2/6 07:05
From somewhere above:

Obaasan- Grandmother/ Aunt
Ojiisan- Grandfather/Uncle

Correction:
Obaasan- Grandmother
Obasan- Aunt
Ojiisan- Grandfather
Ojisan- Uncle

A LITTLE different makes a LOT difference...! Lol
Don't upset your auntie or uncle ;-)