Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

Shorts in Japan? OK or not? 2007/4/8 03:10
Okay, this has been bothering me for a long time.

I'll be traveling to Tokyo in the summer for the first time. From what I've heard, it's very humid and hot over there.

Normally, I wouldn't think twice about wearing shorts, but I encountered some strange info on that topic both on this site and the rest of the internet.

Some people say:
''Wearing shorts in Japan?? That's completely unacceptable! No Japanese people ever wear shorts! Don't even think about it!''

Others are like:
''Everyone in Japan wears shorts, there are no issues about it. Feel free to do it, since it's completely normal.''

So which is true? Is it okay to wear them or not? My personal common sense tells me that it's okay to wear them for sightseeing around Tokyo as long as I'm not going to expensive restaurants and hotels.
Am I right or not?

Some more info on my situation:

I'm not a businessman on an official business. I'm just a 20 year old guy going there to have some fun and visit some friends for a while.

I wanna know what's acceptable among Japanese people, not the answers like ''it's okay because you're a tourtst''. I want to know if it's possible to fit in by wearing shorts.

Please be honest and don't overly exaggerate and make up things as I've seen before.

Thank you
by Tony  

... 2007/4/8 14:41
It is okay to wear shorts, especially during the summer and if you are a foreign tourist. But it is not considered very sophisticated.

You don't see many Japanese wearing shorts in the buisness and shopping districts of Tokyo (and other big cities), because it is inacceptable to wear shorts for work and shorts are not considered fashionable. But outside of the big city centers, many Japanese people wear shorts in their leisure time. Also in holiday resorts like Okinawa, it is common to wear shorts.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yes 2007/4/8 15:24
For leisure activities I see many people wearing shorts; no biggie.
by Phil rate this post as useful

It's OK outside of work 2007/4/8 16:14
In Kyoto I see many women wearing shorts, usually with leggings but not always.

I went to Portugal at the end of last year and there was a fashion for women to wear long shorts and boots so you could hardly see any leg. Some women here are wearing similar.

Very few guys wearing shorts at the moment. None going to the office

by koan rate this post as useful

Tony, you're 20 2007/4/8 17:22
It's absolutely normal for 20 year old males to wear knee high baggy shorts, the kind that Hip Hop artists would wear. But showing thighs are simply out of fashion.

Note that it's safer to wear socks, since you might be taking your shoes off while sightseeing.
by Uco, local mom of a teenager rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/4/8 17:49
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
by Tony rate this post as useful

Dressing 2007/4/8 20:43
Its funny to me that you want to fit in ,because everything i read leads me to think Japan is the one place you'll never fit in. The customs etc. are so different from the west you'll always stick out as a foreigner.

But thats OK, because you will be sightseeing in the summer in a hot humid country.

No matter where you go its always OK to dress casual during the day, and more dressed up at night.

People will react favorably to you if you have a smile for other people and a warm, optimistic attitude and good grooming, ( hair cut and well shaved. )

Learning words to some Japanese phrases; please thank you, directions, money, and trying to be culturally sensitive, will go much further in creating a positive perception than short or long pants.

And there are certain shorts that are dressier than others. Maybe out the the country wear frayed, multi pocket cargo pants and t-shirt and sneakers, and in the city, wear khaki shorts with a belt and some sort of lightweight causual shirt with buttonns and sleeves and collar with dressier shoes.
by Rithy rate this post as useful

Who cares 2007/4/8 23:18
Dude it really doesnt matter.

I was here for last years summer and i wore Aussie board shorts for most of the time and no one cared. I walked around all of the CBD and all that and encountered no problems what-so-ever. Its totally cool to wear shorts here especially in summer. I say go for it just dont as you said wear them to important occasions or dress up restaurants or what ever.

Have fun and wear what you want.
by Koylo rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/9 04:20
Its funny to me that you want to fit in ,because everything i read leads me to think Japan is the one place you'll never fit in. The customs etc. are so different from the west you'll always stick out as a foreigner.

Wearing shorts is fine.

However on the part of "trying to fit in", whats so bad about that? Its good to know the customs of a country your going to visit etc. While one may never 100% never fit in, its still good to show respect at and know things beforehand don't you think? (I'm not talking about shorts here but in general knowledge about things).
by John rate this post as useful

this 2007/4/9 06:03
Yes, i think respect is for other cultures is very important. Im learning Japanese and a great deal of the course is on etiquette and manors. Also learning kanji and katakana.

I hope it helps.

by Rithy rate this post as useful

I guess . . . 2007/4/9 15:13
I'm not "very sophisticated" I wear shorts & flip flops everywhere here. From the upscale shopping malls, super market or just wandering around Tokyo, I've never had any trouble/problems.
Though, I won't go to fancy restaurants or places with a dress code & expect to get in.

Just like Koylo said above
"Have fun and wear what you want"

by Shorts OK rate this post as useful

Shorts 2007/4/10 21:24
I've been wearing shorts on and off all over Japan in the last two weeks and no one has stared me down. In fact they have all been super friendly :)
by Chris rate this post as useful

They're Fashionable 2007/4/13 13:22
well I'm a girl but shorts are really fashionable this season on girls A&F and Hollister are selling tons of them. Long "boy-shorts" are fashionable for girls this season as well. I am going to JP in august and plan on wearing shorts a lot.
by Kate rate this post as useful

It really depends 2007/6/2 07:11
Honestly, I've been freaking out about the same question. I'm going to Japan on an exchange trip late June, and heck I don't wanna wear even capris when it's that hot and humid! For chicks, you can wear shorts when you're going someplace casual or if you're running. But here's the rule of thumb: If you lay your arm down against your leg and your shorts are shorter than where your middle finger tounches your thigh, then those shorts probably aren't acceptable there, with a few acceptions. I am kinda sad I can't wear my Hollister shorts, but an inch more isn't that bad of a comprimise. Booty shorts are just scandalous over there and if you're staying with a Japanese family, it's best to be a little concervative.
by Allison rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/6/2 09:11
When I was going to school in Japan, one of my teachers wore shorts often. And... he had really hairy legs. xD Not that that matters, but I was surprised to see a teacher in shorts. You don't really see that in America either..
I can't recall seeing guys on the streets wearing shorts, but I can say with confidence that I'm sure teenage boys wear them. Although most teens have been wearing American styles so that could be the reason...
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

message for allison 2007/6/2 09:56
Go ahead and wear your short shorts and booty shorts.

Im going in early July and i'm gonna to enlighten tokyo and rock that town like an earthquake with shorts every day.

Be true to yourself
by Albert Saisa rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/6/4 16:27
I was in Tokyo for a month over X-Mas, and go to a school with lots of Japanese, and for girls shorts are generally okay. The sort of cute, puffy ones. With either knee-high socks or something else to cover up most of the leg ^^;. For guys I didn't really see shorts so often though...and I'd say not for a classy restaurant :P. McDonald's or something is probably okay though ^-^!
by Lie rate this post as useful

I love shorts in Japan 2008/10/7 09:18
The reason you do not see other Japanese in shorts is because they do not wear shorts on a daily basis as Americans do. This is the same thing with Latin America in the city, only jeans and no shorts.

Japan is very diferent these days. Most young people dress in punk clothing and strive to look more American in their dress.

You are not expected to dress like the Japanese, rather be a good guest of their country.
by Shorts are fine rate this post as useful

No shorts at Xmas 2008/10/7 16:34
I'm not surprised that Lie above didn't see a lot of guys in shorts in the middle of winter- would you expect to? Mid summer is quite a different story though- I see plenty of Japanese in shorts, men and women.
by Sira rate this post as useful

I saw shorts in Japan 2008/11/4 22:42
I went to Japan at the beginning of Oct 2008 and saw plenty of ladies wearing shorts. I didn't see any wearing shorts without hose/tights though, and they usually had on tall boots. The look is actually very cute!
by Maneki_neko rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

reply to this thread