Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does Matanee mean? 2003/11/13 06:12
My Japanese penpal writes this at the end of his letters, and I cannot find it in any Japanese/English dictionary. Thanks for any help.
by spin  

it means.. 2003/11/13 08:26
In English it means like "see ya"
by Luke rate this post as useful

Matane means... 2003/11/13 08:27
I'm just beginning with Japanese, but I know what "matanee" means. Although I think you should write it like matane. I'm not really sure if it's the right way to write it anyway. But matane means see you.
by Japanese beginner rate this post as useful

Luke was a bit faster than I was 2003/11/13 08:31
Was a bit slower than Luke :p Haven't saw his answer
by Japanese beginner rate this post as useful

Thanks 2003/11/13 09:39
Thankyou Luke and J.B. This was really bothering me! You came through for me!!
by spin rate this post as useful

Mata, ne? 2004/4/3 14:06
It means "until later then?"

mata (again), ne (?)
by nhara rate this post as useful

matane vs ja mata 2004/5/5 19:09
Can someone tell me why japanese people say matane and not ja mata??
by torusan rate this post as useful

ja mata ne 2004/5/5 22:03
I believe that Japanese people use 'ja mata ne' quite often ^_^
by Kappa rate this post as useful

"matane" and "ja mata" 2004/5/5 23:32
I think "Ja mata" is a bit more polite than "matane" and matane can be used only among friends. Also, there is "jaa ne" which is the same level as matane.
by rica rate this post as useful

ja matane or mata ne or ja mata ne 2004/10/9 08:56
it can mean: see you soon, later, or see you later
by michiko rate this post as useful

Dewa Mata 2006/11/20 12:50
De-wa Mata "see you later" Is prob a better use of the word.
by Jago rate this post as useful

ja mata 2006/11/20 14:32
A lot of Japanese textbooks teach "ja mata" as if it is a standard greeting, but it is not. People may say "ja" or "ja mata" or "ja mata ne" or "de wa mata" or "mata ne" but there isn't one that is the best.

But if you say "ja mata" make sure you pause between "ja" and "mata" otherwise it sounds like you're saying "jama da" which means "you're a nuisance."
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

To consolidate 2006/11/21 13:59
De wa (the gerund of the copula, 'desu' + the particle 'wa') is commonly contracted in speech to "ja" (or zya depending on romanization style). Therefore "de wa mata" = "ja mata". Another thing to note is that it is very common in Japanese to use incomplete sentences. "Ja mata" is an example of that. It could be "Ja mata ayoo" = "Let's meet again" for example. Additionally, the final partical 'ne' (and yes, not 'nee', as this implies the person already agrees on a supposition of sorts) adds on the tag of, "alright?" or "ok?". So the full utterance could be: "Ja mata ayoo ne!" Meaning, "Let's meet again, oK?".

Ok, so that's the complex gramatical and linguistic explanation. "See yah" is good enough :p. (Much like the Spanish, "hasta luego", literally translated as "until later", but meaning "see you later").
by lonesoullost rate this post as useful

Matanee Answer 2007/11/3 12:44
Matane means "See you later" and is the equivalent of "Jya matta" which also means see you later or "until we meet again." in English.

My penpal writes this all the time, and I am used to it.

Melissa
by Melissa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread