Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 11: Posts 1 - 20 of 218

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
next

Interac ALT 2007/5/11 22:38
Hey

I just wanted to find out some views (from both sides) of the company Interac ALT.

I've just been offered a job but would like to know a bit more about the company before I accept.

I applied to other companies as well (like NOVA) and I felt that Interac had more to offer and it seemed to be a more "moral" company to work for. I heard from NOVA that they operate a buying lessons point scheme whereas I would be working for an actual school through Interac. Also one of the advantages I think between them is that Interac operates 8am - 5pm. (Nova is backshifts 1pm-10pm) So there's a better chance of me meeting people and experiencing Japan.

I was told that it wouldn't be possible for me to work within Tokyo initially but maybe in a suburban or urban town/city nearby (1-1.5hrs) (like Chiba of Kanagawa for example). Fair enough of them being honest right from the start.

I was also told that I might be required to drive which is cool because I never got a chance to do that when I was researching (4 months) in Tokyo last year (basically because the trains were that good and driving was unthinkable in the city!) So i was woundering if anyone who has worked for interac before knows how far out in the "country" you would be (total isolation etc.) that a car is required.

Also, do you think there is more opertunity to learn Japanese (spare time) with Interac than other private compaies (NOVA, AEON, GEOS etc) as that is one of my reasons for returning to Japan.

So if any one has any experiences with the company or heard any stories, please let me know.

I had tonnes of questions but can't think of the rest just know (^_^).
by Adam  

Interac 2007/5/16 10:16
Adam,

Loads has been written about Interac both here and on other forums, and most of it is negative. I suggest you read up very carefully about the company before taking the plunge.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

What I found before this post 2007/5/16 19:21
Dave,

I did check this site and other forums but couldn't find any recent posts. As for the bad rap your talking about, I haven't found any? Interac hasn't been used as a main question, only when comparing to other schools like NOVA (Interac was stated better)

The was someone who compared them to the Yakusa and one said that they didn't pay on time but there was no evidence to back this up as a common occurance. Also I'm aware that every company will have its problems and there will be employees that feel that they have the short end of the stick but if you take into consideration the amount of folk these language schools hire in a year it is understandable.

I've heard a lot of bad rap on NOVA and taking part in one of their interviews I can see they're in it for the money (points scheme) [as well as Interac]. My interviewer (Interac) didn't deny it and they've been pretty open so far. The lesser of the two evils.

I was just hoping for some recent information. As for taking the plunge. I'm not going to war (^_^), this is my ticket back to Japan to learn more about the culture and language and it could aid my CV in engineering in the future as well as being reasonable work. So its worth the risk.

If you know the links to other forums then please post them. (I've tried Dave's cafe) Are you a teacher, if so for what company?

Lol. I know that i'll probably take the job but they do say that chance favours the prepared mind, so any reaction posts are very much appreciated.

Cheers for your thoughts.
by Adam rate this post as useful

Working for The Company 2008/1/30 22:22
Well, Nova has officially closed its doors and a year has passed since the last entry on this thread, so this info might be too little, too late.

I've been with The Company for over a year and I've been paid on-time, every time. The staff are really friendly and I've had no problems at all. I am satisfied with the health insurance pkg they set me up with, and I've had great fun with all of my assignments.

I get all national holidays off (and there seem to be two weekdays off at least once a month in Japan). Of course, August isn't paid for and you get a reduced check in December (I don't know why). But I do live check-to-check like most people in this business because let's face it: living in Japan is expensive, especially in winter when your monthly gas bills go through the roof, oh and local taxes doubled this year), but I'm in it for the long haul.

I live an hour away from downtown Tokyo and very glad I do: much quieter at night and it's nice to have green fields and real rivers minus the cement. Plus I have all the benefits of a Tokyo suburb.

The people who do well with this Company seem to be living with their partners (for financial and emotional support). If you choose cheaper housing than their recommended/contracted Leo Palace cells, and if you live with a roommate, you'll fare better in the long run (but prepare to have $6,000US for startup/furnishing costs. You probably won't need a car if you live in the greater suburban Kanto area (the region around Tokyo including Chiba, Saitama, Ibaraki, etc.) Get a map to see which areas are accessible by major train lines to get an idea of your town's accessibility. Buses and trains will get you anywhere you need to go (I walk an hour and take the bus one-way to get to my school. I don't have to. It's only 20 minutes by bike, but I do it for the exercise. Interac will reimburse your travel expenses everything short of taxi.

The pay is decent for ALTs, but it seems that in Japan, the higher you go up the ladder, the harder you have to work. The ALTs, on the other hand, seem to be thriving. Most ALTs quit after one or two years in Japan because they can't speak the language and get sick of the social isolation and/or culture shock that illiteracy brings. Another reason they quit is because their work isn't very meaningful: just being a human ''tape recorder'' of ''native speaker English'' with no real work to do (for Jr. High ALTs), or being too strung out from doing ALL the work and no home life (elm. school ALTs) is tough to deal with. If at all possible, aim for a Jr. High job. They only teach at one school maximum and you share the load with your Japanese teachers (though experienced ALTs in the company tend to get those positions, first). Elm. school ALTs plan, design, prepare and impliment materials for all their lessons, and often the schools will have no supplies at all. That means, your freetime and money disappear making all that stuff for your school lessons, out of your own pocket, by the way.

As for speaking Japanese, I'm not allowed to speak it to the students at school. I can talk to the teachers in Japanese, though in the teacher's room (some prefer it, some might not. They'll let you know). But no matter what job you take on in this country, you'll be speaking plenty of Japanese everyday just to survive. Just being here guarantees that. Good luck. Hope this helps.
by Inthisforthelonghaul rate this post as useful

By the Way 2008/1/30 22:53
To answer your other questions, I think after Nova going under, ALL the human out-sourcing companies that provide schools with ALTs in Japan have been pressured to clean up their acts a little bit, either by re-wording questionable contract loopholes or downsizing/laying off personnel. I think it's wise NOT to think of ALT work as a long-term career, but rather something to do while you think about your real job. Besides, your visa in Japan is only up to 3 years, anyways on an Instructor visa.

I work 8-5 and it's nice. The Company doesn't like it if they know you're being pressured to work more hours for free (if you willingly volunteer on the other hand, it makes you look like a hard worker). Also, people who really do good in the ALT business don't squawk about things like contract fairness, paid leave or pay for actual hours worked. People who make a fuss about such things have a tough time being trusted in Japan.

The Company now has a Japanese language learning feature on its member's only website, plus they will try to hook you up with free Japanese lessons in your community (and there should be some available) if you ask. If you are a JH ALT, you'll have time for lessons (after school, of course). If you're an elm. school ALT, you won't have time. Needless to say, ask the Japanese teachers you work with for free Japanese textbooks and materials. They'd love to help you out!

Good luck, again.

by Inthisforthelonghaul rate this post as useful

Cheers Inthisforthelonghaul 2008/1/31 08:41
I was surprised to get this email telling me someone has posted :), but cool.

I went for Interac out of the job offers and I`m happy. Couldn`t believe my luck when I heard that NOVA had started going under.

Guess they couldn`t mention that at the interview even if they did know. I hope the guys who took the job are doing ok.

I got a position in the north of Miyagi-ken. I teach at 3 senior high schools. It`s a bit out in the sticks but it`s nice.

I`ll post some more stuff when I get the chance for anyone else who is interested in working over here.

Thanks again

Adam

Thanks inthisforthelonghaul! 2008/3/10 02:24
You're the first person who has given a straight up answer. Most others have said "Interac sucks!" blah, blah, blah, but haven't given any reasons of why they suck.

I've been hired to work in Yokohama at the local high schools. They've sent me an email stating I'll be working from 8:30am to 5:15, and will divide my time between 2 to 3 high schools. I already know the 29.5 hours per week is a joke when they give me a schedule like this. I also figure between lunch time, and commutes to the other schools, you're really not going to be working the 40 hours.

Can you explain more about the reduced check in August and December? Are the schools completely shut down and you have nothing to do? Are you free to go about your business on the weekends and evenings? Do the teachers want you to join them at bars after work?

The only bad thing I can say about Interac is the lack of help in getting an apartment, and also directions to their office. I finally had to ask them directly for their address and directions. They sent directions to the hotel, but only and address for them. They did provide an email for a local real estate agent, which has turned out to be a very nice private indiviual who puts teachers up in her home until their apartment is ready. Although I've seen only a picture of her apartment, I will take it regardless because of her prompt emails, and personal notes. Her daughter has also been emailing me, so I've decided to take the time to write to both. Who knows, I may have made a friend for life over there. :)

You're right about needing to know the local language. I can't imagine how people even cope in their daily lives.
by new Interac teacher rate this post as useful

question 2008/5/31 00:31
Hi Adam,
My name is Jamie. I found your post when I googled Miyagi Interac because I have a job offer in Miyagi through Interac. I was wondering if I should ask them to place me some where else. I can't find much info about Miyagi. Also, I have a feeling that they try to see who they can stick all the undesirable prefectures to first. Either way I will be happy to be in Japan teaching, but I want to enjoy my situation. I know your post is old, but any feedback is appreciated.

yours sincerely,
Jamie
by Jimmi rate this post as useful

Interac 2008/5/31 09:31
I am not in the same position as many Interac workers in that I am here accompanying my husband and I only work part-time. I wanted the interaction and a little pocket money, but don't need the money to be self-sufficient. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I have taught in Jr High (directly for the school district) and High Schools (for Interac) and I have substituted at a variety of schools, both Jr High and High School (since I only work part-time, I have days available now & then).
I live in a suburb of Yokohama and my experience has been on the Miura Peninsula and in Yokohama.
My impressions, IN GENERAL:
in the more rural schools, the pace is more relaxed and there is less preparation necessary. This varies of course. I have worked with teachers who prepared everything, and had clear ideas of what they wanted me to do, and I have worked with teachers who expected to have an hour off when I was there.
Urban schools (high-level schools) have drastically larger work-loads; the English level is higher, and there is more written work produced, and guess what, the native speaker needs to grade all these essays by tomorrow! Grammar questions are harder - know your English!
High school students' and teachers' english levels are higher then those of Jr Highs, and that makes the work more interesting (for me). If you speak Japanese, the lower grades are easier then if you don't speak it. When I started, my Japanese was minimal, and having lunch with the jr high school students was a total pain...I was supposed to be interacting with them, and that was like pulling teeth.
I have been satisfied with Interac; I have found that if you are professional with them, they are professional back. I have never had a problem with pay (but pay attention to your statements, and ask questions).
I would personally prefer to be in Miyagi than Kanagawa; what don't you like about Miyagi?
Anyway the experience depends so much on the teachers you work with, it's hard to generalize.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Oh, more in Interac 2008/5/31 09:36
I forgot - I think people who are hired via the JET program have orientation and get-togethers and all kinds of club-like websites and all; Interac is not really like that. Be ready to be independent & do your homework before coming to Japan. I have been surprised at the complaints from younger teachers (ALTs) about how Interac didn't mother them enough. Ummm....how old are you?
And last, I love this particular website for some activity ideas:
http://www.edochan.com/
go to the 'Three Wise Monkeys' sections.
I found little use for these activities in really high-level high schools, but they are good for middle-of-the-road schools.

Hi Jimmi 2008/6/4 11:52
Awrite

One thing is for certain! You should experience Japan. No regrets!

This is just my own experience, so I hope that a few others will post some views.

I know your feeling about being out in the sticks but i've been staying in Miyagi for about 9 months now and it's all good fun.

I lived in Tokyo for 4 months a few years back. Miyagi is just as interesting, if not more. It really depends what your looking for. If you want to club every other night, see the big lights, fast paced stuff then your looking for a post near Sendai. (But I have no idea how Interac assign posts) If you go to a city though, you wont get help renting a car. I am in Kuriharashi (very north countryside), so I need a car to get to school and around and about. The car is very useful because I can take in more of the sights.

The nightlife in the country isn't so great. Places are hard to find and close early. You need to ask the local teachers. But I like the country and if I want the city experience, I travel towards a small city or the biggest, Sendai!

If I had the choice, I would choose the country. The country is so much more beuatiful. And I've been told by other teachers that the students are more laid back. But i think it just depends on the place,school and students. They have all characters.

The last post said that the Interac folk don't plan much compared to JET. It's true that JET are far more orientated, but they've been out here longer. I can't speak for the Interac social life in other prefectures but the Miyagi Interac crew are second to none. We all get together on facebook to make a plans for doing a variety of stuff in Miyagi. Traditional and drinkies. We are also in contact with the Miyagi JETS, so there's always someone to meet up with. If you come to Miyagi, you will meet us at some sort of meeting and you'll be welcomed in with open arms. We're really friendly.

As for Miyagi. There's tonnes of stuff to do! Amazing festivals and sound people. I'm not going to go into the sales speech because it will sound fake. But Miyagi is a beautiful place to explore. And I've only touched on the northern prefectures. There's lots to see if your willing to look. Don't expect culture to jump into your lap. But sometimes it does.

My advice is give it a go. Chances are that your coming in August, so every January Interac ask people if they want to move. Some of my friends went to other places like Yokohama and Yamagata. It just depends on your own thoughts of the place and what you want.

so, if you don't like where you are, then ask to move.

What else can I think of? If your in the city, or in a Leo Palace apartment then it will be small. But Tokyo is tiny! If your out in the sticks, you get a much much bigger place for the same money. Also, if your out in the sticks you get a location allowance (~90quid) (I think city folk get lower - not sure). So the sticks has it's advantages.

Just come out and try it. Unless you have an amazing CV or teachers work experience, or can speak a few languages then you've not got much to haggle with. And if you ask for a new location, then the next place might not be better.

What have you got to lose? Nothing ventured nothing gained......

What are your thoughts?????

Here are some sites about Miyagi. Google can't find them so easily. Enjoy!

Guides

http://www.miyagitheme.jp/

http://travel.japan-tohoku.com/enarea.htm

http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1102.html

http://www.northern-tohoku.gr.jp/english/index.htm

http://www.att-japan.net/modules/tinyd0/rewrite/tc_54.html

Miyagi

http://www.pref.miyagi.jp/kankou/EN/index.htm

-------Sendai http://www.sentabi.jp/1000/10000000.html
http://www.introductiontojapan.com/sights/mapsearch_output.p...
-------Sendai http://miyagi-kankou.or.jp/tourist_infomation/english/index.... (PDF)
-------Sendai Zoo http://www.city.sendai.jp/kensetsu/yagiyama/english/index.ht...
-------Sendai City Centre http://www.city.sendai.jp/kikaku/kokusai/english/asobu.html

-------Matsushima http://www.town.matsushima.miyagi.jp/english/sightseeing/sig...

Yamagata

http://www.yamagatakanko.com/english/

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/guides/anasjapan/index_sm.html?...

I'd like to hear your thoughts, so I can give more detailed advice. Please think about it.

One thing is for certain! You should experience Japan. No regrets!

do you want more sites? 2008/6/4 11:59
I forgot to say that the lists of websites is kinda random and it's not complete.

It is not a fully acurate representation of stuff to do in Miyagi. There are many many more. But that list is what I had saved on my pc at the time.

If you want more specific info, then let me know.

Take care Jimmi

Miyagi 2008/6/4 14:48
Thanks for all your posts Adam. I was thinking of applying for the JET programme this year and I was wondering what I would do if I got rejected. I just started learning Japanese now, so I'm afraid of what it will be like if I move to Japan and I don't have any support like what the JET programme gives you. But you made working for Interac in Miyagi sound good. I was wondering if I could ask you more about your experience? Are we allowed to post emails on here?
by OrenS rate this post as useful

Awrite OrenS 2008/6/5 14:01
I'm glad you like what i've said and are keen to come to Japan.

But I only know the Tokyo and Miyagi area. Just because you like what I say about Miyagi, doesn't mean that it's the best place to come out of all the prefectures. I have much more to explore yet.

I don't know what language support JET offers but interac have a website (you have to be an employee to see this site) with tonnes of self study notes. I've not really looked at them because i'm using a textbook I bought and i'm lazy. Also in each district of Miyagi the company hires a local to help you with things like setting up bank accounts, finding a new cooker etc. Some of my mates also get Japanese lessons from them but it's not company run. It's down to the individual.

There are other night schools you can go to to study and their cheap. I think they're run by JET. But anyone can join.

Your right to worry about only applying to JET. They only have one intake each year and it's harder to get into and more popular. The pay is much higher and your secure for 3 years (as long as your doing well).

I applied to many more companies like Interac, NOVA (thank fook i didn't take their offer), GEOS, Berlitz, AEON, Amity (AEON kids) and i think a few more. I think English conversations schools are in decline. They are too expensive for people and not so popular. NOVA being an example. But I think business schools are maybe ok. You should do some research. I haven't got a clue. But you should apply to a few to increase your chances of an offer. And you get more practise at the interview style questions.

One thing about private conversation schools (NOVA-like,AEON, GEOS etc) is that their working hours can be chaotic. You have to work when the Japanese are not at their regular jobs. With schools, your on school time, roughly 8 till 5:30.

Don't let your low Japanese ability cloud your decision. Many ALTs come out here with no knowledge (myself included). Just remember you please, sorry and thank yous.

I'm not gonna give my email out on this forum because anyone can view it. Sorry. Just post your questions here. I will try to answer as soon as I can (if i have an answer). Also, some other ALTs might read your questions and have a better answer or a different opinion/idea for you to consider.

Hope this helps

Catch you later.

Interac cont... 2008/6/14 06:31
Hey guys, my name is John and I too have recently been accepted to be an ALT through Interac, however I have not yet received my placement. I've been reading up about the good and the bad people have experienced with the company and I wanted to share my expectations, which I think should be the expectations of anyone who wants to enjoy their time in Japan and be a successful ALT.

Basically, I am going into this with little to no expectations. I know I'm going to be working hard receiving little pay. In fact, if I have the opportunity to help with any extracurriculars I would be more than happy to. I do not plan on starting off with TV or Internet, and I am not bringing a laptop with me. This is going to be odd for me, as I studied Computer Science in college :-). I'm using this as an opportunity to not only get my feet wet teaching (hopefully...) but also to explore and immerse myself in a new culture.

I've worked in many industries part time and full time throughout college in a major US city, and every job has its pros and cons. The people that are complaining and lashing out against Interac are the same type of people that complain and lash out against any company that does not fit their lofty needs. Interac clearly lays out what will be required of ALTs, but if you really want to be an ALT none of these issues should affect you.

My advice to anyone diving into this come September, like myself, is to go over there prepared to work hard and be very easy going about everything. Once you receive your placement, decide on a few things you have to have in your area and make sure the location can accommodate these needs. For instance, I would very much like to have a Gym I can get a membership at and work out at regularly... and thats about all I 'need' and I can live without it if necessary. I've spent the past 5 years living in a city with all of the accommodations I could ask for and I've come to realize I simply don't need the AC, Computers, TV, Video Games, Bars etc. to keep me happy.. (although AC is pretty nice). If I get placed in a rural area, I'll be happy.. and if I'm in an Urban or Suburban area I will be happy. Most of us going out to be ALTs are young and now is as good a time as any to get out there and experience a new culture living on little income. I think working hard for much less than many of us could make in the States and enjoying what we do will give us a world of perspective for when (if) we return to the States and work in whatever field we choose.

I understand this probably sounds like a way to overlook the shortcomings of Interac that people have expressed their concerns with but it really is the way people have to prepare themselves to enjoy their time in Japan and get something out of it.
by John rate this post as useful

Interac Placement 2008/6/25 05:16
Hi John,
It's good to see a post from an optimist! I am also heading over to Japan in August with Interac. Have you received your placement since your last post? I will be in on the island of Shikoku in Kagawa. It's pretty rural, but that's what I like. I grew up in the sticks, so I'm used to having limited recreational choices.
Erin
by Erin rate this post as useful

bring your laptop! 2008/6/25 06:06
I would totally bring my laptop regardless. I use the internet a bunch for teaching resources (there are a lot of games & activities online) and your school may or may not have a lot of internet access. At one school at which I taught, there was one computer at the end of each row of ten desks. Teachers could bring in their laptops, though, and use them at their own desks. Don't cut yourself off from a resource or a source of enjoyment for the sake of throwing yourself into your school. Schools differ. Sometimes all your best efforts won't turn out like you thought.

interac placement 2008/6/25 09:10
Hi, I had an interview with Interac in Toronto in March, and I as notified that I passed the interview about an month later. They told me that they will be sending out employment package in early June. But so far, I only got minimum information about work visa. The person that contacted said he doesn't deal with placement so he has no idea when I'll get the information.

I was wondering if anyone is in the same situation, when does Interac usually send out placement information for the Aug/Sept session?
by A rate this post as useful

Visa 2008/6/25 10:42
I know what you mean by late!

I'm from the UK and I didn't get my visa forms until 2 weeks before my departure date. So I got my visa accepted one week before I left the UK. If you've been given the job then have faith, you'll get it. I think some people who came over with me had trouble with visa,so they entered Japan under tourist status and then Interac helped them change their status to instructor.(I only heard about this though)

Ask the person your in contact with for the placement emails. You should be assigned someone to help you with questions related to coming to Japan etc.

My advice is to find out where your embasy is and that you have all the proof of ID and photos you need in advance.

About the laptop issue.
I help out in 3 schools and I only have full internet access in one school. I have my own laptop in the other but I share one in the other school. You just have to go with the flow. If you have no laptop, you should just ask (don't do all your work at home). Maybe they will let you use the computer room or there is a shared laptop that you don't know about.

Also, last year around October the Miyagi Board of Education decided NOT to let ALTs bring their own laptops to school. I think this is for safety or so that ALTs are not wasting time on their own laptops (games etc). But the board of education often make daft rules. But, we have to obey.

re: Adam 2008/6/25 15:12
Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm not too sure if I'm "hired"... They told me that I passed the interview but they were unable to offer me a placement back in April, and they told me that the next hiring session is in Aug/Sept that they will be sending out offer of employment etc in June...

Does that mean I will get an offer eventually? or there is still a chance that they have no placement for me?
by A rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 11: Posts 1 - 20 of 218

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
next

reply to this thread