Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long can you survive on 230000 Yen? 2007/9/25 05:19
The aim of my question is to find out whether the following idea is feasible: I've been working in England for several months and will be working until October, and by then I will hopefully have over a thousand pounds, roughly 230000 yen. I have a job working in a hotel in a ski resort for four months starting December 1st, but I would like to come in November, so I could see some areas of Japan before my ski season. My current plan would be to spend a week in Tokyo, two weeks in Kyoto, and then head up to Hakuba, where my job will be- the hotel is providing food and accomodation, plus 50000 yen a month. After the job ends, I want to go on and see some more of Japan for about a month, doing some tourism, and going on a few hikes. Realistically, will the amount I will have suffice for what I am planning on doing? My parents are considering providing a bit extra, but approx 230000 yen would be the mainstay of my funds.

Thanks very much, and apologies for such a long and rambling question.
by Rob-imashita  

. 2007/9/25 10:06
It certainly is a lot of money, and honestly only you can answer that question. It depends on your travel habits. Upscale hotels, business hotels or hostels. Fast trains, slow trains or buses. High food spender, low food spender etc.

You can certainly go comfortable with that amount of money without the need to sacrifice on much.
by John rate this post as useful

Japan travel 2007/9/25 14:08
For people staying in budget accom. the usual guideline is about 8,000 to 10,000 yen per day (depending on how much long distance travel you will be doing (shinkansen costs etc add up quickly).

You have more than that so sounds to me like you will be fine. Almost 12 years ago I worked at a ski resort in Nagano for a season- it was a lot of work but I had a great time. Hope you enjoy it :-)
by Sira rate this post as useful

flight ? 2007/9/25 15:00
is your airflight already paid for ??
by gozomark rate this post as useful

How about...? 2007/9/25 15:21
How about for my wife, me and my infant son? We have already paid for accomondation and rail passes. We will have Y380,000 for 4 weeks for just food and attractions. Will this be fine?
by Paul rate this post as useful

budget 2007/9/25 15:26
I'm kind of surprised you booked such a long trip without being sure that you would have enough money, but you should be okay, providing you don't want to eat big restaurant meals too often or visit amusement parks every day.

What kind of itinerary did you have in mind?
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/25 15:31
Actually, everything seemed OK when I arranged it

The iteniary, provided it all goes as planned, will only cost 30,000 yen for attractions. The biggest ones being a trip to both Disneyland and Universal studios

I was also basing everything on my previous trips to Japan by myself, before I had a family, and then multiplied it by 2.5
by Paul rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/9/26 05:07
Thank you very much for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I will be running on the cheaper side of things(cheaper hotels, slow trains). My airfare is already sorted, though flights haven't been booked yet.
by Rob-imashita rate this post as useful

I'm living in Takayma,Gifu 2007/9/27 22:42
if you come to Takayama-city, Gifu, I can give you some stays in my house.
do You know Takayama is a kind of good place for enjoying winter season.
there were many skiing places aroung and next to Nagano.
Actually my friends are enjoying snow boading every year to go to the snow places near or go to Nagano.
(I am actually not good at the winter sports...)

anyway, if you are thinking to stay some plase for a few days or a few weeks to enjoy the winter season in Japan, I am one of the persons who live in the citys around the great Japan Alpus mountains.

if you are interested in my add, please conatact me any time.

thanks
by miya rate this post as useful

230000 Yen isn't a lot of Money 2007/9/28 01:55
what i can tell 230000 is proxmently 1000 thousand Dollars in U.S. Money and that about two or three week to live on not even a month in The United States to stay some place you have to wait to get funds to live on or in between jobs to stay to started working again on the nezt job so you are brave to live on 230000 Yen for whole month to receive some more fund to survive on at a sking restort waiting on paid check as housekeeper or handyman at The Ski Restort so my concluation is that you real cann't survive on 230000 Yen and it's isn't alot of Money fellow travaler.
by Mr. Mix Diego rate this post as useful

budget 2007/9/28 03:25
Mr San Diego you haven't checked the rates for a long time. the US $ is really low and has been for a while. 230000 yen is over US $ 2000
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

mmhh 2007/9/28 03:36
230.000,00 JPY = 1.988,71 USD

its from today! maybe it change tomorrow, up or down!
by Cyberdog rate this post as useful

230000 2007/9/28 15:47
right now
230000 Japanese Yen
= 1995.3153 US Dollar
1 JPY = 0.0087 USD
1 USD = 115.2700 JPY
the previous post and this one shows that it is a lot more than US 1000

by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread