Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what is japan's national sport 2007/10/23 04:10
I want to know what japan's national sport is.
by Geth Xenos  

... 2007/10/23 09:34
Sumo Wrestling
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

traditional vs modern 2007/10/23 10:02
Arguably, baseball, soccer or sumo. Sumo is the traditional sport but baseball and soccer have far more fans.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/23 10:41
A national sport does not necessarily need to be the most popular sports in the country. For example in the United States baseball is known as the national sport or past time, even though American football is more popular then baseball, even basketball is highly popular, however baseball remains the national pasttime.

In Japan, Sumo wrestling, Judo, Kendo and karate are traditionally viewed as Japan's national sports.

Of course thepopular sports in Japan are baseball, football (soccer) etc.
by John rate this post as useful

"national" 2007/10/23 12:07
Readers E/J dictionary says;
national: kokka no (of the nation), kokumintekina (enjoyed by most nationals), zenkokutekina (nation-wide) etc.

If you meant the former, the "kokugi (sport of the nation)" is sumo, and usually nothing else at all.

If you meant the latter, I'd say the sports enjoyed nation-wide by many nationals young and old in Japan are baseball and soccer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

sport 2007/10/23 13:59
well you could define it as the sport actually played by the most people, and in which case I seem to remember reading somewhere that is rugby !
by gozomark rate this post as useful

Rugby? 2007/10/23 14:43
Really? I wouldn't imagine that to be the case. Since rugby is a strenous contact sport played only by young men (in Japan at least), that cuts out a lot of the population, and it also isn't offered at all schools.

People of all ages and both sexes play tennis, and so many school boys play baseball, that it is really hard to imagine rugby being more popular as far as numbers of players go.

The Japanese rugby team isn't that successful at international level, so Japanese boys aren't really inspired to take it up like they are with soccer or baseball, where Japan does well.

... 2007/10/23 14:58
Rugby is apparently a popular sport in Japan with the 4th most registered players in the world, but baseball is probably the most played sport in Japan, followed by football/soccer which has a growing following.

However, depending on your definition of sport perhaps Pachinko may be the most popular sport in Japan.

I thought 2007/10/23 18:27
I always thought it was Janken / Yakyuken :)
by Redrum rate this post as useful

nostalgia?? 2007/10/23 23:02
I don't think rugby is as popular in Japan today as it was back in the 80s or earlier. In the 80s definitely all the pretty "JJ" type girls in fur coats used to fill the seats.

Depending on your definition of "popular" it could be ping-pong though. Everyone plays it wearing yukata on their way back from the onsen bath :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

sumo wrestling 2008/4/29 07:17
it is sumo wrestling but baseball and soccer are more popular
by jp rate this post as useful

Good question 2008/4/29 11:07
It's like asking what is America's national sport...baseball? football? basketball? You will get a variety of interesting answers.

Badmiton 2008/4/29 18:59
A lot of people play badminton, but I would not call it their national sport.
by High rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/30 00:10
It's like asking what is America's national sport...baseball? football? basketball? You will get a variety of interesting answers.

Technically and historically speaking, in the US, the "national sport" or "past time" is Baseball.

Doesn't have anything to do with popularity. Football (American football) is the most popular, but Baseball is generally regarded as the "defacto" national sport of the US.

In Japan, baseball is the most popular, but Sumo wresting and karate and considered defacto national sports of Japan.

really? 2008/4/30 22:37
Hi John,

Do you have anything to support your "defacto"? I would say football is Americas national sport.

... 2008/5/1 08:40

Yup 2008/5/1 14:37
Thanks for the reference.

National sport(s) 2008/5/2 05:59
Here's an interesting perspective.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/lib-old/ssportsite/natorg.html

by Spitz rate this post as useful

Study up on Japan's national sports 2008/7/30 05:53
I'm doing a report like deal on Japanese national sports is Sumo Wrestling the only thing, or would baseball count since based on my studies it seems to be popular?
by Elishia Morse rate this post as useful

Hard to say 2008/7/30 06:59
Baseball is certainly very popular, Different people would give you different answers on whether on or both are Japan's national sports, so you can probably make your own conclusion and then write about it in your report!

reply to this thread