Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

don dake... 2007/11/30 00:22
I've heard people say this before. It's a popular phrase right now from TV... I think that transvestite comedian made it... but I don't know what it means.
by Miyuki  

OSAKA dialect 2007/11/30 11:22
It's a OSAKA dialect that literally means "how much, how many, how far, how long, etc".
by MY rate this post as useful

it means "awesome" 2007/11/30 18:33
by Uco rate this post as useful

I heard another meaning 2007/12/1 10:32
Hi

I had the same confussion, so I just asked the teachers and students and they taught me it. (the version I heard anyway - same from 3 seperate schools).

dondake - is said to express the surprise at a large amount or quantity of something (usually positive). For example, I had a Halloween lesson where I shared out a large bucket of sweeties, so you heard "dooondakeeee".

It's a nice phrase. The reply is "ikaihodo" with the same finger gesture.

Have fun (^_^)
by Adam rate this post as useful

Still popular? 2008/3/24 12:51
About a year ago all junior high school kids were saying this like mad. The comedian who started the catchphrase is Ikko who is on TV sometimes talking about fashion. Mostly girls use it and they mean something is great or amazing, but like anything else you can use it sarcastically too.
by Adam rate this post as useful

don dake? son dake! 2008/3/25 00:02
I've always used it to mean "How much?" literally.

i.e. if my mother were cutting me a slice of cake, she'd say "don dake?" ("how much?") and when she'd moved the knife to the correct position, I'd reply with "son dake" ("that much") I figure it's pretty slang/osaka-ben etc. I've never heard it used in another context, but interested to hear more. :o)

also, I guess "son dake?" when used as a question, I understand to mean ("is that all?") i.e. when I only ask for a small slice of cake! *hehe*
by furan rate this post as useful

Figure of Speech 2010/3/15 19:25
It's now being used as a colloquialism which is akin to the American, "Oh no you didn't!". It is usually expressed with a feminine tone by men, jokingly.
by Gintoki (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/16 04:47
dondake=dore dake=how much
sondake=sore dake=that much or only
kondake=kore dake=this much or only
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread