Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax Rebate/duty free 2007/12/4 14:14
Hi,
I am going to Japan for 2 months in January and was wondering if there is duty free shopping for visitors or a way of claiming the tax back on departure at the airport? I have been to some countries where you are exempt from paying tax on any goods purchased.I suppose the first thing to learn would be is there a tax attatched to goods in Japan.
by 8rendan  

Some places... 2007/12/4 15:46
Some places seemed to do this. Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara was duty free. we had to present our passports and they attached some paperwork on it when we bought our denshi jisho. we were not charged tax for this at all. however, this was the only place that we saw this, and we were there for 2 weeks.
by Nika rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/4 15:56
there is a 5% consumption tax included in the price of everything you buy in Japan. I'm pretty sure you cannot claim a tax refund at the airport but you are exempt from this tax at some stores if you spend more than 10000yen. Check out this similar thread here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+13449
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/4 15:59
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread