Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating with severe food allergies 2008/1/22 14:54
I have a son with life-threatening food allergies to peanuts, treenuts & eggs. How accommodating are Japanese eateries? Do they really understand the severity of cross-contamination?
by carol  

. 2008/1/22 20:42
Well, it depends on where you go. If you go to a chain resturaunt, then don't expect them to change anything. For example, I went with a Muslim friend to a chain ramen place, and he can't eat pork. They asked if they could make the ramen without the pork and they couldn't. So he just ordered the regular ramen.

Peanuts and other nuts in the Japanese diet aren't very occurring. So I wouldn't worry so much about that unless you decide to visit a Thai restaurant. But eggs are commonly used. For eggs, do not get meals such as Oyakodon, Katsudon, Okonomiyaki, Omeraisu, and even some ramens (since they put in the hard-boiled eggs often). I suggest you tell the waiter about your son's allergies and tell him that it's dangerous for him to eat these things. They should be understanding since it's a critical allergy, and not just preference.

If you need help on how to tell them this (if you won't have a Japanese friend with you) then tell them

"musuko wa, tamago to nattsu no arerugi ga arimasu. dakara abunai desu yo. totte kudasai"

OR if you don't want to memorize this then maybe you can print the following Japanese out and show them every time you go to a restaurant.

‘§Žq‚Í‹ÊŽq‚ƃiƒbƒc‚̃AƒŒƒ‹ƒM[‚ª‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·B‚¾‚©‚çŠë‚È‚¢‚Å‚·‚æB‚»‚ÌH‚ו¨‚ðŽæ‚Á‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B

if anyone finds errors in my Japanese, please let me know.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

allergies in children 2008/1/23 06:05
In Japan food allergies have not been studied for a long time. First studies began in the 90ies and then especially on childrens allergies. The reason is that since lately cases of food allergy are increasing in Japan, especially in small children. Typical allergy foods are milk, eggs and soy. Due to a new law all foods containings even little traits of those substances have to been labeld. In supermarkets
you can find a wide range of packed food for children with egg allergy. In my experience (vegetarien with extreme soy allergy) even in restaurants there are detailed tables showing all foods which are being used. Restaurants's staff might show those tables to you and you decide wether foods are ok or not. But: You need WILL, TIME and NERVE ! Be prepared. And ALWAYS pay attention. People wont pay attention as it is nothing concerning themselves. Please do never forget to check by yourself ! Don't trust japanese friends saying "Oh it is alright". Always check ! you might want to bring some special food your sunshine is accustomed to.
If you are caucious you should be alright. Have fun in Japan!
by mary rate this post as useful

How to ask at restaurants 2008/1/23 08:16
Miyuki, when you said "‚»‚ÌH‚ו¨‚ðŽæ‚Á‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢" did you mean "please take out those foods" (the ones I am allergic to)?

If so, it should be something more like h‚»‚ÌÞ—¿‚𔲂¢‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢" (Sono zairyou o nuite kudasai) which means "Please remove those ingredients".

"‚»‚ÌH‚ו¨‚¨Žæ‚Á‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢" would often be understood as "Please pass that food", so could cause confusion.

Perhaps a native speaker will come along and give us some really clear sentences- I believe Uco san has a child with allergies.
by Sira rate this post as useful

allergic in Japan 2008/1/23 10:42
Carol, my 16 year old son has been allergic to eggs ever since he was born. I have been answering similar questions on this Forum and you can probably find them by searching keywords on the "Search this site" devise.

I would say that the Japanese, in particular those professionally dealing with food, are very aware of the severeness of food allergy. They know that some are life-threatening. So if you tell them it's allergy, they will usually pay attention to you.

As mentioned, you should carry a bilingual card with your son's allergens written on it. But BE SURE TO HAVE IT TRANSLATED BY SOMEONE YOU CAN RELY ON such as your tour conductor or hotel conceirge, and not anonymous people on the internet like myself!

At restaurants, be sure to talk to the manager about your allergy and not the part-time waiter. If possible, make reservations ahead of time so that they can prepare for you in advance. If possible, have a reliable conceirge make the reservations for you. For shopping, you can find more allergen-free food at "natural food shops (shizen shokuhin ten)" not to be confused with "kenko shokuhin ten (health food shops)". But it would be safe to carry around some allergen-free snacks just in case.

Generally speaking, peanuts and treenuts aren't used so much in Japanese cuisine. Eggs are very often used, but quite avoidable as long as you're used to doing it.

You can still eat lots while avoiding your allergens. Bon appetite!
by Uco rate this post as useful

By the way... 2008/1/23 10:49
I guess I can mention this. Needless to say to a parent of an allergic child, all you have to do is to tell them that you're "allergic to this and that". I don't think you have to bother to tell them that you can't eat them or that they should not use them, or moreover that they should take it off your plate which is not recommendable since it leaves some substances on your plate!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Arigato! Food allergy friendly places? 2008/1/23 13:00
Thank you all for such wonderful suggestions! I am glad to hear that nuts might not be as big an issue as I originally thought. Does anyone know of a list of food allergy friendly places to eat? We will be in Shinjuku (Hilton Hotel), Kyoto (Nakagyo-Ku) and Hiroshima (Komachi Naka-Ku). Would you recommend small vendors as a safe place to eat? Is it common in Ramen places that the utensils used to handle noodles and soup are kept separate from toppings (ie. eggs, pork, vegetables)? Thanks again for everyones help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input!!!
by carol rate this post as useful

allergy free meal 2008/2/7 13:20
I have a child who has severe peanut allery.I live in Tokyo now and I recomennd that Dennys(chain restaurant)
kids meals(Tei Arerugen plate) is safe even for severe allergies,because they comletely eliminate contamination of eggs milk wheat peanut. Also,
most department stores in Japan,such as Odakyu show that deli foods has allergy cards wheater they have five
allergic foods(eggs,milk,wheat,peanut,back wheat)

by Harumi rate this post as useful

Thank you Harumi! 2008/2/7 14:51
Thank you so much for your information. I will be sure to visit a Denny's restaurant and keep a look out for the other store you mentioned. Thank you so much!!

Denny's 2008/2/8 18:30
Denny's has two kinds of kids plate,i.e. nornal and allergy free(Tei arerugen plate ’áƒAƒŒƒ‹ƒQƒ“ƒvƒŒ[ƒgin Japanese). So please choose that Tei arerugen plate. Denny's provids kids curry & rice , kids hamberg & rice and fruit gelly for Tei arerugen plate also. Tei arerugen plate is made by totally allergy free ingredients at the special allergy free factory and and cooked seperately from other foods at the restaurant. Please mention that your son has allergy at the restaurant, so they cook and serve your son"s Tei arerugen plate useing plastic gloves in order to avoid contamination.
Denny' is available only in Tokyo area.
In addition to Denny's, Mos burger's kids rice berger would be OK for your son. They also made it from totally allergy free ingredients at the allery free factory lines but cook
at the restaurant using same micro wave oven and boiling pots.
I sometimes go to Mos burger , and ask to cook after washing hands to avoid contamination from other foods. Mos buerger provids only Mos kid rice burger set(including rice hamberger ,juice and apple gelly(please order to change fried potates to apple gelly). Mos berger is availabele nationally but Mos kids rice berger is sometimes not available in some restaurant.
@Deli food at the department stores has a possibilities of contamination,although it has allergy information cards(in Japanese).

More info. 2008/2/8 19:15
Curry, Shabu-shabu's dipping sauce,chinese food and Ramen sometimes use peanut oil as hiddeen gourmet ingridients. I recomennd U-don(Japanese white noodle in soy sauce&fish taste soup) rather than Ramen. My child who has severe peanaut allergy have never tried Ramen at restaurants. My child and I sometimes go to Omen(‚¨‚ß‚ñjUdon restaurants ,well known Udon restaurant in kyoto,when we visit my parents home in Kyoto).Omen has Omen udon set which is boiled japanse white noodle with @just boild japanese vegetables and say sauce &fish soup.Omen udon set do not contain any nuts and eggs. If your son has sesami allergy , do not use sesami seeds as topping which delivers seperately. Omen restaurant is available near Shijyo area and Ginkaku-ji.Omen is nuts free restaurant but not egg free.

What to order @ Denny's? 2008/2/9 13:12
Hi Harumi-san,
What do you regularly order for your son at Denny's? I would like to take my son there. We will be staying at the Hilton Hotel in Shinjuku. Is there one close by? We will also be visiting Kyoto and staying at the Kokusai Hotel (Near Nijo-jo) - is the Udon place close to where we will be staying? Our last stop will be in Hiroshima. What would you recommend there? Thank you so much for all your information! You have been a great help!

Denny's 2008/2/10 13:39
Denny's Japan home page address is as follows.

I hope you can acsess this homepage written in Jpanese.

http://www.dennys.jp/dny/menu/dennys/kids/kids-070607-002.ht...

Denny's 2008/2/10 13:55
How lucky you are! I found that Denny's is just in front of Hilton, 2nd floor of Shinjyuku Green tower building(opens 24 hours).
Also you can ask your concierge to check other Denny's for your sightseeing.
I usually oeder Tei arerugen kids hamberg (’áƒAƒŒƒ‹ƒQƒ“‚¨‚±‚³‚܃nƒ“ƒo[ƒOjor Tei arerugenn kids curry(’áƒAƒŒƒ‹ƒQƒ“‚¨‚±‚³‚܃JƒŒ[jfor my
child. Both plates are served with white rice.She is now 9 years old so I oder to increase the amount ot rice.
Omen,Udon place, I assume that it takes about 10min. from your hotel to Shijyo by Taxi.Omen is very popular place so on-line resarvation in advance would be convinient.
I don't know much about Hiroshima area.

Omen 2008/2/10 13:58

You are my favorite person in the world! 2008/2/10 14:23
Harumi,
You are my favorite person in the world! You deserve some kind of honor for all your research and help. If you ever come to America, I will be sure to help you. My son will be nine in a couple of days. Thank you again and again!! You are the best!!!!!

Have a nice trip! 2008/2/10 23:14
At Omen, please do not order Tempura(fried vegetables), because it contains eggs.Just simply, Omen udon set is my recomenndation.
I hope you and your son have a wonderful trip in Japan!
If you need more info, I am glad to tell you.

Wonderful Harumi 2008/2/11 14:55
Harumi-san,
You have been more than wonderful to me. Thank you again and again for all you help!

Allergy cards 2008/2/11 18:42
As mentioned above, you can get cards printed in Japanese with information on your son's allergy. I have personally used www.selectwisely.com in the past and was very happy with them. They made me several cards in different languages when I was travelling in Eastern Europe last year. The cards were credit card sized, so easy to keep in your purse and laminated so they lasted well. I fully intend to get a card in Japanese this year for my forthcoming trip.
by Spuds rate this post as useful

Great Advice! 2008/2/12 03:07
Thank you, Spuds!

reply to this thread