-
Member Area

Japan Airlines  SAKITOKU

Home - Question Forum
How to get a working visa

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get a working visa 2008/7/28 02:13
Does anyone know how I can get a working visa without being sponsored to work in Japan teaching English for a year?
by M  

Working visa 2008/7/28 10:04
M,

The short answer is that you can't. I have however heard that it is sometimes possible to apply for a working visa if you can prove that you have offers of employment from two or three employers who will guarantee you a combined salary that equals the minimum requirement for the visa (220K? 250K?).
The other option is the Working Holiday Visa if you are from a country that participates in that programme.

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Only WHV 2008/7/28 12:51
Self-sponsorship as Dave in Saitama describes above is only an option for people who have been in Japan for at least a year on a company sponsored visa. More accurately it is a multi-sponsored visa as you need documents from all the companies you work for.

Basically as Dave says, a working holiday visa is the only one where you don't need a sponsor.

One of the requirements for a working visa is an employer to sponsor you. No sponsor= no visa, there's no way around it I'm afraid.

by Sira rate this post as useful

confused 2008/7/28 13:41
Ok so unless I get sponsored by a company that recruits overseas (I live in the US) I would have to enter Japan on a tourist visa and then find a job, which they can then sponsor me? Is that how it works?

Most English teaching jobs require you to be currently living in Japan, but some also require that you already have a work visa. How am I supposed to have a work visa without them sponsoring me?

Is it possible to enter Japan through the JET program and then stay after your 1st year is up but not with JET. Would you already have a work visa since you were working with JET?

And if the company you are going to work for does not sponsor you, but they offering to pay you 250,000 yen, then can you just show that you have a job offer and a working visa will be granted? This is very confusing to me... :P

by M rate this post as useful

Check the esl sites 2008/7/28 14:21
If you see job offers where they say that they won't sponsor you for a visa, then they are looking for people on spouse visas, or with permanent residence- you must have sponsorship to be able to work.

Yes, you can apply for a change of status if you come here on a tourist visa and then find work. Don't tell Immigration that you are coming here to look for work though!

There is loads of information on this topic on sites like www.ohayosensei.com
www.gaijinpot.com
and www.eslcafe.com - Japan Branch of the International Job forums.

Have a look through their FAQs and then ask if you have any questions that weren't covered.

by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/28 17:12
Most English teaching jobs require you to be currently living in Japan, but some also require that you already have a work visa.

If you see this requirement in the advertisement, that means that THAT company is not willing to take the trouble to sponsor anyone for a visa (for cost or for administrative consideration, or from past experiences, whatever it may be). So you will have to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a visa. Precisely because some people come, find a job with an employer who sponsors them for a visa, and leave soon after to find a new employer, some are hesitant to sponsor new people for visas.

Even in the circumstances you described with JET, if your initial visa sponsored by JET was limited to a year, for example, then after the year is up, (before the visa expires) you will have to find a new employer who is willing to sponsor you at least for a "renewal" of the visa.

Please check the websites suggested by Sira :)

by AK rate this post as useful

contract 2008/7/29 01:09
Oh I see, thanks a lot for the information guys.

So a lot of people join with companies and then leave after they get their visa for another better job? Don't they make usually make you sign a contract for a year? How do they get out of the contract?

by M rate this post as useful

renew visa 2009/7/8 17:27
Does anyone knows how to renew working visa in japan and what are the requirements?
by Working visa in japan (guest) rate this post as useful

extension 2009/7/8 17:46
You go to your nearest Immigration office with the required documents (this info available from Immigration), and apply.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - Lɂ‚ - advertising