Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English to Japanese translation help 2008/8/14 10:39
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me translate the English phrase ''Lost Little Children'' or ''Little Children Lost'' into Japanse.

thank you!
by nic carcieri  

Dear ENG to Jap needed! 2008/8/14 22:50
lost littel children mean " kodomo ga losuta na".M Cambodian but I have been studied Japanese for 2 years. But anyway if u say this phrase the Japanese will understand. Good luck with finding ur children.
by Chan Vicheka rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/15 02:10
''Lost Little Children'' or ''Little Children Lost''

Under what circumstances?

lost littel children mean " kodomo ga losuta na".

It's very slangy and should never be used under formal circumstances.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

sorry! 2008/8/15 02:59
I should've been more clear... the phrase "Little Lost Children" or "Little Children Lost" is a potential title for a story I am writing... :-)
by nic carcieri rate this post as useful

:-) 2008/8/15 11:18
"Ushinawareta Chiisana Kodomo" or ""Kiesatta Chiisana Kodomo"

Anyway, there are various options to translate the word of "Lost" into Japanese.

I think "Ushinawareta" is the best translation for Lost. "Inakunatta","Kiesatta" , is closer "disappeared" than "lost"..
by yumi rate this post as useful

:-) Kodomotachi!! 2008/8/15 11:21
Sorry. Children is plural..
so it should be "Kodomotachi" iso "Kodomo"
Therefore, "Ushinawareta Chiisana Kodomotachi" or
"Chiisana Ushinawareta Kodomotachi"...
by yumi rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/15 11:40
"lost" can have different shades of meaning. Just to comment on the options provided by yumi,

- "Ushinawareta" is the "lost" as in "Lost World," or the (Indy Jones') "Lost Arc."
- "inakunatta" and "kiesatta" would be "gone," so "missing" from the standpoint of, let's say, their parents, who are "missing them."

- If you mean "children who lost their way." Then it should be: Maigo no kodomotachi.

I would not translate "little" literally - as a book title, it would be too lengthy and the meaning somewhat redundant; the "kodomotachi" already conveys that it's children.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/16 06:10
"yukue-fumei no kodomo-tachi" is a more formal expression for "missing/lost children" if you imply the children might be involved in any accident, kidnapped, confined or dead.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Needs context 2008/8/16 07:43
As above, you need to clarify what you mean by "lost". as there are several possible ways to translate the English word in Japanese depending on the context- physically lost? Emotionally lost? Permanently or temporarily lost? That is the problem with trying to translate word for word in languages very different from English.
by Sira rate this post as useful

I'm not sure 2008/8/19 00:36
About what you have intended with the word "lost". Is it similar to the lost in "the lost generation" or the French in "le temps perdu"? Then you can safely translate the word to "ushinawareta (kodomotachi)" though the meaning is rather vague and sounds a bit translated.
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread