Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Personal Training in Japan 2008/12/1 04:04
I am a personal trainer here in florida, USA. How does my occupation do in Japan? Lots of Gyms? Western style gyms I mean. Are Japanese into fitness?
by DavidReyna  

gyms in Japan 2008/12/1 08:31
Yes there are lots of gyms (usually called "sports clubs" in Japan), yes, many Japanese are into fitness. Chains such as Gold's Gym even have branches here. There would be hundreds of different gyms in Tokyo alone.

If you are wondering if it is possible for you to work in Japan, I know a few personal trainers who are not Japanese, but they tend to work at the few gyms aimed at expats and speak very good Japanese as well.

by Sira rate this post as useful

Personal Training 2008/12/1 14:51
I have been working out at Gold`s Gym for the past 6yrs and I know the owner of one, he said that the personal trainers at Gyms have gone through training and exams in Japan and that is the process to become a personal trainer in Japan.

The big problem for foreigners trying to find professional careers in Japan is that even though they are qualified internationally Japan is too protective and does not accept these licenses and certificates or hands on experience etc and have to go through Japanese institutions only and be certified through there. Japanese people also who go to Japanese universities and pay alot of money and graduate can only use their licenses etc in Japan. I suggest you start your own personal training service if you want to come and do it in Japan and offer other services & incorporate english. From my personal experience of living in Tokyo and now in Osaka, I suggest Osaka, why because people are more open, friendly and actually interested in foreigners. I was told that the reason why Tokyo people (not all) are so un-sociable is because they are too busy, I dont agree. If you go you probably will know the difference.
by Apollonia rate this post as useful

previous work experience 2008/12/2 02:32
The big problem for foreigners trying to find professional careers in Japan is that even though they are qualified internationally Japan is too protective and does not accept these licenses and certificates or hands on experience etc and have to go through Japanese institutions only and be certified through there.

To be fair to Japan this is not confined to Japan. I live in Canada and many skilled immigrants have a lot of trouble having their foreign education and experience recognized.In fact it is often hard to have credentials obtained in one Canadian Province accepted in another one. I am pretty sure that this is also the case for many, if not most, countries.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/2 08:10
even though they are qualified internationally Japan is too protective and does not accept these licenses and certificates or hands on experience etc and have to go through Japanese institutions only and be certified through there

Definitely not confined to Japan. This is just how professional licensing works, you have to be licensed in the area that you will be working as each has different rules, requirements, etc. It's just like a driver's license, doing it may be the same, but the rules change depending on where you are.

"Qualified internationally" doesn't really exist. Licenses that allow you to practice in multiple areas are usually a special agreement and more the exception than the rule.

Think of all the professions this applies to: doctors, lawyers, dentists, taxi drivers, teachers, etc.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

iso standards 2008/12/2 08:55
if your certificate was issued by an iso standardized company and the training also recognized as iso standardized you can use it anywhere you want, as long as you can communicate with the people you'll be working with.

for example i have some training from a company called Roland DG that i was certified for in Canada. Roland and the course all meet ISO standards, i could get a job working with Roland equipment in Japan just as easily as I could in Canada provided they wanted to hire me.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/2 09:10
winterwolf has a good point; however, don't iso standards apply mainly to the technical fields? Assuming people checking out this thread aren't in a profession where iso really applies, but of course it's good to be aware of.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

if they will hire you 2008/12/2 09:30
winterwolf's last point "provided they wanted to hire me" is the most relevant to this thread I'm thinking. Even with valid qualifications, the chances of arriving in Japan and being able to get straight into personal training here would be very slim, as most clubs would rather hire a Japanese with English skills than a non-Japanese who they have to go to the trouble of sponsoring. Having good contacts in the industry is also important.

I teach yoga in gyms and studios but that was very much a case of being in exactly the right place at the right time and knowing the right people, as well as having reasonable Japanese language skills.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thank you guys 2008/12/8 05:20
Thank you guys for your info. It was enlightening. I I keep on studying japanese and making contacts with japanese folks here in the Miami area until the time comes to make my move.
Merry Christmas to you all in case I don't write til then.
P.S. How about Xmas in Japan? Many Christians? or Japanese converted?
by DavidReyna rate this post as useful

Christmas 2008/12/8 06:02
David, there are treads on this site about Christmas. Religion in Japan, as in Europe and other places, is a private matter and the average person isn't as "in your face" about religion as the average American, perhaps because countries older than the USA and Canada have known centuries of bloody religious wars. I have no problem saying that my family is Protestant because, here in Canada where I live, everyone assume that in my birth country we are all Catholics so this throw then out for a loop. Many years ago interviewers routinely asked about religion (no this is a no-no)then asked if in my European country we lived in real houses, had real schools and assumed that we had no universities. Mind you my British friends were asked the same!
by Red frog rate this post as useful

Re: Personal Training in Japan 2017/3/10 11:28
No no no. The certification is just a wall to push you back, your last problem. Every gym can accept any foreigner trainer if they so wish. They can decide whether they want you to be certified or not. The gym has insurance anyway. Japanese trainers get certified later in their career, but they work just out of school. Other issues are your concern.

1. MONEY. Japan is the most expensive place to be on earth. The pay employees get in a gym is way too low to make a living in Tokyo. Around 10 dollars per hour (minimal wage). Japanese staff (as most Japanese people in general) live on a very low budget. They live with parents or get married young (prostitution-like activities are also very common, but this is a different topic) to afford a very small appartment. Foreigners... those that I saw working in gyms got married for visa and cash. The wife is the main income, so they can just get along with little money in a gym. They enjoy it much more than other foreigners working hard in corporation anyway, but that is the deal. No love freedom.
2. VISA. Yes, there is no personal trainer visa. You cannot be hired by a gym or work independently unless you have unrestricted residence permit, which come with marriage or 10 years of corporate slavery (I went for the second path, but you need at very least a uni degree).
3. CUSTOMERS. Most Japanese customers trust and want Japanese personal trainers. They believe Japanese body is different from western people. They see no point in paying that money to some foreigner that may not be able to speak properly (even if he does), may leave soon (they always think that) or may not understand Japanese harsh everyday work life. Just a doubt is enough to say no, its business. For this reason, gym usually say no to foreigners. Avoiding troubles is the main philosophy in busines here. There are fewer expats now. No big benefit packages anymore. Expats are also useless for corporations here, for what I see. You will have to fight to get into the few gyms with these customers.

So, being a personal trainer in Japan is possible, but consider easier options first. The path is comming to Japan, spend some good cash and time as a student to learn the language. Get a job in a corporation. When you reach 10 years, get permanent residency and quit the corporation (if you dont have family or debts of course). Go to the gym and ask to be hired as trainer staff, with your great experiance in getting trust by Japanese employers after 10 years of survival. When you feel confident enough, get a Japanese trainer certification (yes, in Japanese), pay the gym to let you train your customers (this hits your income) and happyness forever!!

Possible... I am on it. Becoming a Hollywood star is also possible indeed. Make your choice.
by Marco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread