Sapporo jobs

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sapporo jobs 2008/12/23 14:44
Recently just got back after an amazing three months in japan, mainly wwoofing which is heartily reccomended.
Basically i would like to know what kind of jobs are on offer there?
I've been teaching kids in an outdoor environment for 5 years in england and USA, my degree is not a bsc or ba so jet or aeon programs may not accept me. Plus there is no leway for me. I either teach in sapporo or i dont teach at all (i have my reasons).
Plus i dont agree with the jet/aeon prices, they say you must pay the first 55,000 yen a month on your tiny apartment but in sapporo you can get a better 2 level flat for 40,000.
I can volunteer on a nearby farm while i am searching for a job but maybe need to think of alternative jobs.
Oh, i'll be going back in september 2009.
Thanks for the help.
by MattXIII  

... 2008/12/23 17:17
Do you have a bachelor's degree (this is an Immigration requirement for a full work-permitting visa, not the employer's)? And/or when you say you have been teaching, you've been teaching the English language? Since you say in the US and England, the subject would not have been the language?

If you qualify for work visa in terms of either a bachelor's degree or several years of English language teaching experience, and if Sapporo is what you need, you can try applying for any of the English language/conversation schools that have vacancies advertised for that area....

I think that's about the only thing you could try, without knowing your other skills or nationality (whether you qualify for a working holiday visa).

For teaching positions, has anyone already referred you to Gaijinpot or Dave's ESL Cafe for information?

BTW, if you try to find and rent an apartment on your own, you'll be paying upfront two months worth of rent as key money (non-refundable) and two months worth of rent additionally as deposit (refundable or partly refundable), and you would need a guarantor for the rent contract, which would run for two years, so, well, I would not say no right off to what those other companies are offering.

by AK rate this post as useful

ESID 2008/12/23 22:20
The motto of JET is "Every situation is different"- not all JETs are paying the amount you specified for their rent. Also, the JET salary is better than you will get as a new arrival just about anywhere else, so maybe don't be too quick to discount them.
by Sira rate this post as useful

cheers 2008/12/24 19:49
Thanks for the replies.

A bachelors degree is a work permit requirement?......... well that throws a pretty big spanner in the works. My degree is a 'foundation' degree. So are you saying that i can never work in japan unless i have a bsc?

No my teaching has all been about the environment,
i have no language teaching experience. Im english.

So jet/aeon are really my only ways in then? Can i not get a work visa and do a different job? It dosn't matter what it is.
I understand that to get the visa you must already have a job beforehand out there.

by MattXIII rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/24 21:56
- Immigration requires that you need to have a bachelor's degree, or ten or so years of relevant work experience (four or five years or so if for English teaching jobs) in order to qualify for a work-permitting visa.

- I don't know what a "foundation degree" is. But a "bachelor's degree" is not necessarily bsc or ba, mind you, there are other types of bachelor's degrees, depending on what subject matter you major in. It's anyway normally a three or four-year course. (I think there has been another thread on this degree issue recently, please search this forum archive.)

- Do JET and/or AEON hire people without a bachelor's degree? That is unlikely unless (1) they are asking that the applicants already have teaching experiences as above, or (2) the applicants happen to be eligible for Working Holiday Visa status.

- About "work visa" - there is a reason why I once in a while use the term "work-permitting visa(s)" because there are many kinds depending on what you do/get hired for. So, for example, if you got hired by AEON to teach English, AEON will sponsor you for an "Instructor" visa status. As long as you are teaching English (and as long as your contract allows it), you can switch from one employer to another. However, you cannot go to another employer to do, (just as an example) to take on an environmental engineering job WITHOUT having the new employer issue you some papers and going through Application of Status Change. And no, you cannot work at a restaurant or a farm or a construction site if you are on an "Instructor" visa status.

- The reason why people say "you must already have a job beforehand out there" is because that employer is going to have to sponsor you for a work-permitting visa so you can work for them.

by AK rate this post as useful

down turn 2008/12/25 14:35
Next year is forecasted to be the worst year for the Japanese economy in the last 100 years. Many if not most business would and will most likely never experience anything like it. At times when exports are down the government usually helps out the domestic construction industry but not this time. This combined with the "march 2009" problem is going to see mass unemployment in Japan like nothing before.
This in turn means no money for English lessons. Get ready for the storm .
by Jobs in Japan rate this post as useful

blimey 2008/12/28 05:37
That dosn't sound good. There was backpacker talk of the economy dropping instantaniously soon. Their a clever sort out there, they'll think of something.

Well the fact that you say 4-5 years relevant experience is encouraging, although my previous and current teaching is not usually indoors.
Without prejudice intended, do you think it will help that my language is english -without an accent? ie: not oz or usa.

Thanks for the info guys this is really useful.

by MattXIII rate this post as useful

don't listen 2008/12/28 14:06
don't listen to the hogwash about economic tragedy. it's all a bunch of garbage. small cottage industries are not going to be hit as hard as the big corporations and even the large corporations are not going to all go under. remember japan survived the asian economic crisis - it will survive this one too.

english teaching is one of those things that just won't go away. trying to find a job at a BIG company like GABA or Berlitz will be a bad idea, but there are hundreds of smaller, non franchised english teaching schools especially in hokkaido.

as mentioned you will need to get a degree, or you will need to marry a japanese girl to be eligible to work in japan. if you have a girlfriend already just ask her to marry you and that solves that. if you don't want to do that, then you need to get your bachelor's degree. it's going to take 2 years at least to finish a bachelor degree. if you go to australia they finish degrees in 3 years there, if you worked extra hard you could do it in 2. you could also do a degree online in your spare time, just make sure you are getting credits from an accredited university and not some degree mill.

good luck to you. and again ignore the economy is doomed garbage, yes the economy is having a hard time but there are plenty of jobs for foreigners to be had. the scaremongerers are just looking to spread the fear.

by winterwolf rate this post as useful

one other thing 2008/12/28 14:11
one other thing, you said you were a wwoofer (me too). why don't you see if you can get a job as a cook in a ryokan or one of the hotels you worked at? (or did you only stay at farms?)

there is one special clause for visas for certain industries - if you have 3, 5 or 10 years of experience in a certain industry, you MAY be granted a visa if there is nobody else that can perform the job your employer needs to fill. so, let's say you learn how to cook specialty french or african dishes or something, get your hotel shacho (owner/manager) to create a job opening for that position and have him help you with you visa application. it's not a sure bet but it's a possibility. if you can't cook try some other industry, but keep in mind computer related industries require 10 years of experience in lieu of a degree. english teaching requires 3 years of experience. you might be able to pawn your kid's outdoor teaching gig off as english teaching or something similar.

talk to an immigration lawyer for more info, he will really be able to help you out.

by winterwolf rate this post as useful

ta muchly 2008/12/28 19:52
Cheers WW, v.helpful.
Been looking into things in mmre depth now i've got time.
My two motives are a) a girl (marriage is not viable.....yet) b) possibly starting a nature school in Hokkaido within 10 years. Hence the need for Sapporo.
So you say about the hundreds of smaller schools, maybe a years working holiday visa for starters, rent an apartment, make a lot of contacts then if want to return i will hopefully have sponsers by then.
There are a few wwoof farms that would put me up until somewhere accepted me.
Whereabouts did you wwoof?
Thanks again.
by Mattxiii rate this post as useful

wwoof 2008/12/29 00:35
i wwoofed in aomori, nagano and i will probably be wwoofing in 2009 in yamagata and akita as well.

i'm not sure if you're american or english - where are you from? remember if you're american you are not eligible for a working holiday visa.

one other option i didn't mention is becoming a language student. if you enroll into certain universities or language schools they'll help you get a student visa. with a student visa you can apply for a work permit which is basically as good as a working holiday visa. so while it will take money to make money, it will keep you in the country. you might need a decent nest egg to spend to get set up initially though.

by winterwolf rate this post as useful

no accent? 2008/12/29 17:03
MattXII, what do you mean when you say you don't have an accent? Every speaker of English has an accent of some kind, which people from other regions can usually pick up on pretty quickly.

If you are British, for example, people from other English-speaking countries and also your own country will know that before you have spoken half a sentence, because of your accent.

by Sira rate this post as useful

researched 2009/1/2 09:37
Apologies if i offended you sira. My meaning is that the japanese hold extra interest for all things british.
I merely wondered if my being british would hold me in better stead because of their fascination with us. It is called "English" after all.

Well i've spent many hours browsing gaijin forums etc and seen way too many negative responses but a fair few positive.
Basically i feel my best option is to get the working holiday visa, contact schools and companies beforehand and let them know i'm coming.
Now i need to research about renting an apartment as in Sapporo its much cheaper than hostels.

Thank you

by MattXIII rate this post as useful

English 2009/1/2 16:54
I had once 2 buddies in Toronto (Canada). One was a Gordie (from around Newcastle) and the other was Jamaican. No one believed that they spoke "English" only! Besides that it always amazes me that so many people assume that they can teach their mother tongue as 1-most of us are severely grammatically challenged (English is my 3rd language so I got an excuse.) and 2-teaching is a very very hard skill in itself.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Good luck- 2009/3/23 00:49
Because I'd tell anyone wanting to come to Sapporo now to stay away, far away.

I have lived in Sapporo for the last year and a half, started with JET. Left JET (had reasons), and searching for work here now. There are almost NO JOBS HERE AT ALL. The teaching market here is ridiculously hard to enter, and there are no full time jobs here at all now. All the job postings are for other towns like Horobetsu and Asahikawa.

If you want to know what you'd be getting into, subscribe to Hartman's Hokkaido Insider email service for jobs. That's the best lead for those looking for work up here, and there is next to nothing now. Hello Work, nothing there. Private postings, nothing.

Good luck, but I'd say stay away from Sapporo- look on Honshu in the countryside, that's your best bet.

by Mr. X (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread