Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transferring to a Japanese university 2008/12/28 16:50
Hey everyone,

I am currently a freshman in an American university and have just finished my first term. I have come to the realization that transferring to a Japanese university would better not only my language ability, but deeper my understanding of the nation I wish to become part of one day, scholastically and culturally.
I was browsing around some websites of prominent universities in Tokyo, such as Keio and Waseda. While they seem very welcoming to foreign four-year undergraduate students, there is a lack of information about transfer students. I know it is a very common practice domestically in America, but I wonder if it is different in Japan.
If anyone has any knowledge or experience in transferring to a Japanese university (assuming that I will finish my year in the US and transfer fall 2009 when I am a 2nd year), I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thanks
by phm123  

I've never heard 2008/12/29 08:50
I've personally (being a recent university graduate myself) never heard of anything transferring to a university in Japan whether it be a domestic transfer or international. People who want to change universities usually have to re-do all the admittance requirements and take all exams all over again. If you're willing to do that and start from scratch again (in essence become a "Rouninsei") sure, more power to you. To me though, sounds like a completely waste of time and effort. If you want to do university in Japan that much, why not just complete your undergrad studies and apply there as a grad student? Are you one of them folks who hates their current university/location so much that you can't wait three years to leave??

Since you've only completed your first term, why don't you just look into a study abroad program through your university. That way, you can experience an entire year in Japan, possibly get into a much higher-level university, and see for yourself whether your interest in Japan is simply an interest or something you want to take more seriously.
by Bean rate this post as useful

too late 2008/12/29 11:45
too bad you started already. you can't transfer your credits to a japanese university. you may be able to transfer into an american university though, such as temple university. but not into a regular japanese one. forget about waseda - you won't get in unless your japanese is top notch - good enough to pass the entrance exam which thousands of native japanese student's can't even do (plus the thousands of other asian foreign students trying to get in).

consider something like ritsumeikan or maybe sophia university and start from scratch.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: 2008/12/29 22:06
If your university happens to have a international student exchange program,
there are a chance you can get credits while studying in Japan for a year or so.
Ask your university if they have any such programs, partner university in Japan, and requirements of GPA.

I don't know how probable it is,
but at least the university I am at in Japan has such programs,
and international partner university.
So there must be a counterpart in other countries, I guess.

As for the situation in the university I am at,
there are a center for foreign students in our university,
and Japanese teachers teach various subjects in English.
You can also attend to any lecture you want to but it is taught in Japanese.

However, I have never heard of transferring not through the university's partnership,
but individually.

And just for your information,
some universities in Japan has a special entrance route for graduated student to start from the third year,
and lessening the burden of basic course.
It imposes the applicants entrance exam,
and the difficulty and required language depends on the university.

So my advise is, do not to stick around Japanese universities websites
and know the university you are at.
by dice-geist rate this post as useful

reply to this thread