Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Usage of the fukushi "Nanka" 2009/1/28 00:12
Hello minaSan,
I hear Japanese people use the adverb 'nanka' alot of timese, but when I ask them what the usage is (I already that it has no concrete meaning, and that it can be used like 'ano..' ettoo') they always say it's difficult to explain.
Could some one please help me out.
thanks
by VincenzoMaxPower  

nanka... 2009/1/28 16:12
That could actually be the first word in the answer to your question. It's not so hard to answer, but it's a little bit like asking somebody to describe how to use the word "like" in English. You can't possible give an answer to cover every meaning and every situation.

It can be short for "nani ka" or something/anything in a casual situation.

But the way you're asking about it being used is more of a chance to pause when you're thinking how exactly to respond or when you're trying to make what you're about to say softer. As with many words in Japanese, it can carry a lot of meaning if you say it in a certain way. For example:

A: What did you think about the concert?

B: nankaaa... (said disaprovingly)

A: Not so good, eh?

vs.

B: nankaaa....(said with a dreamy look in the eye)

A: That good, huh?

Just as with "sa" or "jyan" at the end of a phrase, there is no need for you to actually use nanka. Keep your ears peeled for how it's used and you'll start to understand how you should be using it, which is really more important than knowing the precise meaning, anyway.

Hope this helped!
by sora da yo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/28 18:50
"...nanka" is like "...like," or "... you know..." at times used in colloquial talk in English to blur things, or just being not too precise :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread