Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryogoku District 2009/3/15 07:49
I will be in Japan in July. I would like to do something sumo related but will not be there during a tournament. Is there anything else in this district worth doing or seeing?? Not sure if I should go if there is no tournament.
Thanks.
by Carrie (guest)  

... 2009/3/16 11:47
It is possible to visit some sumo stables to take a look at the morning training. Some travel agencies offer tours, for example:
http://hisexperience.jp/culturalactivities/sumo.html

Another attraction are chanko nabe restaurants, offering the hot pot food which is the typical food of the wresters.

There is also a small sumo museum in the sumo stadium.

Apart from that there are not many sumo related attractions. Some historical sites where bouts were held in earlier places, but these sites are not of interest unless you are really into sumo and can read the Japanese explanations on the signs.

The Edo-Tokyo Museum, just next to the sumo stadium, is on of Tokyo's best museums, although it contains not much about sumo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread