Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to wear in june? 2009/5/24 17:45
i'm planning to visit tokyo in june with my husband, but not sure what to pack. So what do u recommend us to bring? i'm a bit confused is it cool or a bit warm.
thank you.
by nono (guest)  

Hot & Humid 2009/5/25 00:35
I don't think "cool" is something you can say about Tokyo in June, even during a rain shower. The fact that it's cooler than July and August is simply because there are more clouds. Average highs are 25‹-26‹C and average lows at night are 19‹. These temperatures are rising, not because of global warming, but of an increased urban heat island effect. More and taller buildings are being built around Tokyo Bay which block any cooling sea breezes that may have once existed. If the sun comes out in June, you can expect higher temperatures. All the climate information also doesn't give any humidity information which is important in calculating a heat index. If you're from a cooler climate, it's too humid and feels hot and sticky even in June. Perhaps if you're from an equatorial area it wouldn't be too bad. At least now the trains are air conditioned; I used to look for a seat or place to stand under a fan.

In June these days I look for a Starbucks and get a frozen kyarumerro (caramel) frappuchino - caffeine for energy and lots of ice to cool off.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/25 07:44
June can come with both, very hot and humid and relatively chilly (below 20 degrees) weather. To give you an idea, I list below the highest and lowest daytime high temperatures for June in the past years:

2008: 29 - 17
2007: 32 - 21
2006: 32 - 21
2005: 36 - 20
2004: 32 - 20
2003: 33 - 24

Nighttime lows are typically 5-10 degrees below the daytime highs. Therefore, it is quite usual to have temperatures in the mid to high 10s in the mornings, especially in the first half of June.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks ! 2009/5/25 17:37
Thanks alot , your answers helped me alot. but one more question please, what's approximately the percentage of humidity in early june?

thank you.
by nono (guest) rate this post as useful

It will be humid 2009/5/27 06:19
Max and Min doesn't help much when the min may be caused by a rainstorm downburst (cold air that descends with the rain). It will be cool for 15 minutes and then warm right up again. Check out

http://www.tokyotopia.com/tokyo-climate.html

and look for the June description from someone who's been living in Tokyo since 2001. I only went to college there and no longer live there although I visit in early June almost every year. It's always humid.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/27 07:12
Regardless of the usefulness of the min/max statistics, the relevant message is that June (especially early June) can come with relatively chilly mornings (15-20 degrees).
by Uji rate this post as useful

humid 2009/6/7 19:31
i just got back from japan and i can tell you it's humid in june, even in late may when i first arrived. and that's coming from someone who's from a warm country (australia). you still see most girls walking around in long sleeve tops though. at night sometimes i had to sleep with long sleeve tops and go out with a cardigan, it's a lot cooler at night. i actually find it to be more sticky when it's raining!
by chuts rate this post as useful

not that humid yet 2009/6/7 20:37
It's normal that it's more humid when it's raining. It hasn't really got that humid yet (relatively speaking- Japan can be a whole lot more humid than it has been so far this year). We have a hygrometer (measures humidity) in our living room- currently it is on 40%, and I haven't seen it much over 60 yet this year. Give it a few more weeks and it will go over 90.

It depends on what you are used to- for many Australians even 60% may feel humid, but if you are from a wetter country then it probably doesn't feel that muggy.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread