Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

you vs rashii 2009/6/2 00:17
Hi. I would like to know the difference between "marude...you..." and "douyara...rashii..."

The first one should be something like "what appears to be". I learned that "rashii" is what you heard from somewhere else about something, but from the examples I encounter, they don't really look like it.

どうやらそれが喜びの阜サらしい

And is there any difference if I drop the "marude" and the "douyara" in front of the expressions?

As usual, thanks.
by Zyzyzva (guest)  

... 2009/6/3 09:52
"marude ... you" is more like "looks/sounds/seems as if...." (*This is your own observation.*)

- まるで天使の歌声のようだ。(It sounds as if it was a song of an angel.)

"marude" is added for emphasis, and "douyara" is "somehow," so those can be dropped.

"...rashii" is, yes, "I hear that...." or "they say..." (*though you yourself do not know for sure* = So this could be your impressions, or what you've heard from someone else).

- どうやらそれが喜びの阜サらしい (Somehow it seems to be/they say it is expression of joy.)

- あのレストランの食事はおいしいらしい(Meals at that restaurant seem to be/I hear is good.)
by AK rate this post as useful

RE: you vs rashii: reply 2009/6/3 17:50

I am a Japanese. I try to answer appropriately all the more for your clear sense of language.

''Rashii'' is used not only when the speaker has heard so; it's a word to state speaker's guess / presumption / inference from objective things. You can use it to state a man seems to have lost something, judging from his behavior; but you can not use it to state you feel your back aches. A word ''you(da)'' will do in both the cases.

An expression ''a fact rashii'' implies that the fact has not been confirmed; confidence in the fact widely ranges by cases. If you use ''douyara... rasii'' in a business talk, your boss may ask you, ''What's the evidence?''

- Douyara sore-ga yorokobi-no hyougen rashii. どうやらそれが喜びの阜サらしい。: Presumably, that is the expression of joy.

''Douyara... rashii'' and ''doumo... rashii'' both sound to me rather informal. I think ''douyara...'' can be used also when the speaker thinks there are enough reasons or the speaker is willing to admit the fact, while ''doumo...'' can not.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

RE: you vs rashii: reply 2009/6/3 17:54

''Marude... -no you(da)'' means: seem / look / sound just like... or as if ...; this expression can be replaced by ''marude... mitai(da)'' which doesn't include ''-no.'' ''Youda'' / ''mitaida'' is a form to end a sentence; ''youni'' / ''mitaini'' is a form to modify a verb or an adjective.

- Kare-wa marude kodomo-no youni kusu-kusu warau. 彼はまるで子どものようにくすくす笑う。: He chuckles just like a child.

Note: ''Marude'' works differently when used for a negative expression. e.g. marude dame-da: totally no good. marude wakaranai: can't understand at all.

RE: you vs rashii: reply 2009/6/3 18:15
3/3.

: ''rashii'' is what you heard from somewhere else about something

That's the way how ''Sou(da)'' is used. But, I think even Japanese speakers now don't draw a sharp line between the two words.

Note: When used to modify an adjective, ''sou(da)'' means: seem / look / sound.

- Kono mise-no ranchi-wa uma-souda. この店のランチはうまそうだ。: This shop's lunch looks delicious.

Cf.

- Kono mise-no ranchi-wa umai souda. この店のランチはうまいそうだ。: I've heard this shop's lunch is delicious.

//

thanks 2009/6/3 21:28
Great explanations, Ak and omotenashi. Thanks a lot! =)
by Zyzzyva (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread