Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kinkaku-ji from Kyoto Station 2009/6/22 22:21
After looking in guide books and the Japan-guide.com it seems there are two options of equal distance from Kinkaku-ji. My question is which option is the easiest for taking a taxi and or a bus. I think I'd rather a taxi since we have a lot to do.

Options from Kyoto Station

1) Take Karasuma subway line to Kita-oji station.
- take a taxi to Kinkaku-ji 1.5 miles west
- Take a bus?

2) Take JR Sagano Line (local) to Enmachi Station.
- Take a taxi to Kinkaku-ji 1.5 miles north
- Take a bus?
by Matt (guest)  

Taxi 2009/6/23 16:19
Taking a taxi is much easier but will cost more and generally taxi drivers in Kyoto are good.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

bus at kitaioji 2009/6/23 17:14
Having done this in April I recommend subway to Kitaoji subway, follow the excellent signage to Kitaoji bus station (50meters) and then catch the excellently signed bus to Kinkauji : it is very easy, efficient and the quickest way
by fmj rate this post as useful

Kinkakuji - how to get there 2009/6/27 17:58
Bus 205 or 59 from Kyoto Station. Both buses cost Yen 220 for adults. If you a buy a day pass of Yen500, the third trip comes for free. Having spent one week in Kyoto. I can tell you buses are more effective than trains.
by F Lim (guest) rate this post as useful

maybe 2009/6/27 22:33
Last year we spent more than an hour (about 70 mins) going by bus from Kyoto station at 9.45am on a weekday, and stood the whole way: we spent 25mins going by subway and bus in rush hour this year. We got seats after 3 stops, and seats the whole way on the bus from Kitaioji: it took us less time to go the whole way from Osaka to Kinkakuji this year than from Kyoto station only by bus last year.

To Kinkakuji 2009/8/29 02:31
fmj, what bus no. do I take or is there a sign displayed on the bus?
by sebdar rate this post as useful

sign 2009/8/29 06:32
At Kitaioji terminal, when you get off the subway, it is easily signed to the bus depot, and the signs for buses to Kinkakuji are very obvious. It should be no problem. Enjoy: Kinkakuji is spectacular!!!!

Kinkakuji from Kyoto Station 2009/8/31 19:05
In my opinion, taxis are the way to go. While Kyoto buses are user-friendly, they can take a long time and are very crowded, especially on weekends. When I was last there in March, a bus to Sanjusangendo had at least 50 people crammed in. Uncomfortable and unsafe. Taxis aren't that much more expensive- and well worth it!
by Julie Y (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread