Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gion Corner Kyoto 2009/6/29 14:21
Has anyone been to a performance at Gion Corner? Is it recommended?

How far in advance should I book, are bookings only by phone?

Thanks.
by AusEz  

... 2009/6/29 15:05
It is as touristy as it gets. A hall full of foreign tourists provided with short performances of all kind of Japanese arts.

Having said this, it is a very interesting introduction to Japanese arts. I personally enjoyed the bunraku (puppet theater) and kyogen (comical theater) performances, in particular. Furthermore, there are geisha dances and even performances of flower arrangement and a tea ceremony, which one would not expect to be performed on a stage.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Gion Corner Kyoto 2009/7/2 00:54
Is it all right to go to Gion Corner during Winter? Do they still hold performances during Winter?
We are planning to tour Japan during December/January 2010
by sebdar rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/2 16:11
Gion Corners has performances around the year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/3 11:27
Thanks Uji, by the way do I have to make reservations for the shows? and approx how much would it cost per person.
by sebdar rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/3 12:25
http://kyoto-gion-corner.info/gion_corner/top/index.htm...

Here is their website which details the cost and there is a contact phone number. I assume you need to make a reservation but maybe someone else can confirm this?
by AusEz rate this post as useful

No reservation required 2010/7/16 12:38
I just called the telephone number on their website. They speak perfect English and no reservations are required. 7:00 performance doors open at 6:30. 8:00 performance 7:40.
by Laura Popp (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread