Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mount Fuji from the very bottom 2009/7/5 01:55
I am interested in climbing Mount Fuji from the very bottom (i.e. not taking a bus to the 5th station).

Do many people do this?

Where can I find more information about the routes I can use etc.?

Thankyou for your answer!
by Pav in London (guest)  

Try from Yoshida-guchi 2009/7/5 20:56
Please have a look at this page;http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/fujisan/fuji-english.htm...

As you can see, there are four famous route. But if you really want to climb it from the bottom, you should head to 'Yoshida-guchi'.
Get off at 'Fuji yoshida' train station and walk up to 'Asama' shrine. It takes about 7 or 8 min. You can easily find 'Yoshida-guchi' :) To the top of the mountain, it approximately takes about 11 hours! Since it is not a famous route, there might not be many people around. It would be better to start it early in the morning.
by elioteleic rate this post as useful

Entire-mountain hike 2009/7/6 09:43
I have hiked the whole mountain from Fujiyoshida`s Sangen-Jinja (Shinto Shrine) to the peak at back. You can walk uphill to Sangen Jinja from Fujiyoshida station (20 minutes or so) or take a taxi. It took us 20hours for the whole hike - up and down. We stopped at midway for about an hour for dinner and waited about 2 hours at the peak for sunrise. It was tiring as you`re covering about 40KM of trail and going up and down 3,000 meters of elevation. If you`re in trouble, you can take a bus or taxi back from midway, 5th station. A very rewarding hike however, as there are few people on the bottom half, and the ecology is lush and green, the polar opposite of the vertical moonwalk that is the top, well-traveled half. If you have hiking experience and stamina, I highly recomend it. Note, it`ll be warm at the bottom when you start, but be sure to bring warm clothing and especially rain gear for the top.
by Clint (guest) rate this post as useful

trail guide 2009/7/7 01:43
If you go to Lake Kawaguchiko, the visitor center there offers a climbing guide which covers the trail from the bottom including stations 1-4 plus all above. It was a good guide. The visitor center is right next to the train station.
by Carrie K (guest) rate this post as useful

Subashiri 2009/7/29 22:21
I have done this climb from the base but don't recommend it. The first 14km from base to Station 5 is mostly on asphalt - hard on the legs. I left at 2 o'clock (AM) and did a one day round trip. I don't recommend that either. If you can take the time, I recommend camping one night on the mountain and go for the summit on the next day. If you do camp, stay below the tree line and out of any areas that look like water may run through. Flash floods are uncommon but if it rains hard enough you could find yourself in trouble. Staying below the tree line will keep you out of the wind which can get strong and cold. All you really need during the summer climbing season is an inflatable mattress and a sleeping bag. Depending on the climate you come from, you may want to bring a heavy shirt (wool if you have it) just in case it gets too cold which it can and does often at night. Spend the next day at a hotel or, even better, ryokan. You will probably need it if you camp on the mountain.
by WSlifko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread