Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rush hour 2009/7/10 00:24
(Just gotta say I love this site, it's helped me so much and every time I come on here, I get more and more excited about my trip, so thanks all)

I want to make the most of my day trips when I'm in Japan, which means getting to the various places as early as possible. Since Kyoto station is presumably not recommended during rush hour, I'm sorta confined to getting out after around 0900. Or is Kyoto station not really that bad? Some of the places are a fair distance away, Kanazawa for example, and getting there after 11 in the morning puts a bit of a rush on the day.

Does the same apply to coming back, try to time my return journeys so they arrive back in Kyoto before around 1730 or after about 2000? I'm going with Tokyo rush hours times here which may not apply to Kyoto.

If it helps, I can post my destinations, but I think it's more likely that I'll see the crush in the general admission areas rather than on the trains themselves. I assume that most of the rush in Kyoto station is generated by subway commuters?

What about Nara, Shinkobe, Himeji and Hiroshima stations, any ideas if there's much of a rush hour in those places?
by mgal  

rush hour everywhere 2009/7/10 11:38
There are rush hours in any urban centre in Japan, including all the stations you mentioned- they are just not quite as intense as in Tokyo or Osaka.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/7/10 17:56
Thanks Sira. As a general rule of thumb then, would you suggest avoiding all urban train stations from 0800-0900 and 1700-2000?
by mgal rate this post as useful

Rush Hour 2009/7/10 22:21
All stations are different, but as a rule of thumb, avoid during those hours.
by telemarq rate this post as useful

depends on a lot of things 2009/7/10 22:39
It depends which way you are going. If you are going in the opposite direction to most commuters, then there is no need to avoid the trains at all. Local trains also tend to be less crowded than rapid commuter trains, if that particular line has both types. In smaller cities the rush hour may not last as long as it does in Tokyo, where the trains can still be pretty crowded even after 9am.

Never mind. 2009/7/11 00:47
In Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and so on), it is not so crowded in comparison to Tokyo.
(Tokyo is quite terrible in a few lines).

In Tokyo rush hour, almost trains are set up 10 or 15 cars and it comes 2 to 3 minutes interval.

On the contrary, in Kansai there are 6 to 8 cars and 3 to 5 minutes interval (except Subway Midosuji-Line Osaka).

In Kyoto, there are express/rapid trains (fair free) in JR, Kintetsu, Keihan and Hankyu Line. But you can take local service train which is less crowded.

And you know, rush phenomenon only appears at the train in-bound big-city within 7-9 am, but not out-bound and other time.

In case of Kyoto, trains to Arashiyama, Hieizan or Uji will be outbound. To Nara is difficult to estimate, but not so crowded (Kintetsu limited express with fair is comfortable and recommended).

If you visit to Kanazawa from Kyoto. Highway bus is not too expensive, but train named "Thunder-bird" or "Raicho" is time-saving.

If you like nature park, I recommend you Tojinbo in Fukui which locates between Kanazawa and Kyoto (notice : the view is depended on weather).

http://www.mikuni.org/contents/play/tojinbo/index.html
by akudaikan rate this post as useful

When in Rome... 2009/7/11 02:54
If you're in Japan for a short time only, and do indeed want to make the most of your day trips as you say, then don't worry about rush hour times - it's an experience in itself - a glimpse of everyday normal Japanese life. When in Rome... ;)
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/11 02:55
Thanks for that. I'm less worried about the trains and more worried about the stations themselves. I can just see myself booking a 850 train to somewhere and trying and failing to even get in the door of Kyoto station as a tidal wave of humans comes rushing out :) I may be blowing it slightly out of proportion in my mind.

Not like that 2009/7/11 11:53
No, no nothing like that- Kyoto station is actually very spacious. Give yourself extra time to navigate the stations at rush hour though,

Don't go with the flow.... 2009/7/11 12:25
mgal, not sure where you're from (large populated city or not) so this advice might seem silly. Don't be afraid to walk from ''here'' to ''there'' in a straight line in peak hour in a station or street. Don't feel the need to get swept up in the direction everyone else is walking - it's like being washed out to sea. If you can see your destination, just walk to it - everyone else will go around you - trust me.

Plus, Japan has truly mastered the art of crowds - rush hour in a large station runs far smoother than you could ever imagine.

Rush hour 2009/7/11 14:09
Hi! In reply to your query the rush hour at large Japanese cities is no worse ,or no better than any other main terminal.
The big difference is their courtesy, although many Japanese can't speak English they are more than willing to help travellers by the usual International sign language. When we went to Japan we caught 23 Shinkansen trains, and many suburban trains to link with them.We were usually at the station at 7am. Do your research before you go, we found out where our trains left from, the platfom number etc.
With the suburban trains there are big boards, just look along and find your destination. Carry small change for the ticket machine. Don't panic, you will be alright!! We managed to connect with all our trains, and we arrived at different destinations at different times, including afternoon peak hour. Enjoy
Mary
by Mary (guest) rate this post as useful

Great advice 2009/7/11 16:17
It would seem that the best idea is not to let rush hour decide when I'm going to travel. I just need to determine what time I want to arrive in certain places and just go.

Thanks, all.

.... 2009/7/11 16:52
Exactly! And if you miss a train (because you got lost, or wrong platform etc), no big deal, the next one will be there in a few minutes. Don't worry. Just enjoy your trip.

reply to this thread