Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Central Post office renovation 2009/7/11 15:10
Hi all,

I'm traveling around Japan at the moment and this website has been really useful so far. I've searched through all the forums about this but I haven't found any info so I'll just ask.

I was sent something to Tokyo post restante, so it would have been sent to the Central Tokyo Post office... However when I went there today the whole building's closed for renovation!! I think that based on a map the nearest post office (I think in Otemachi) is operating instead of it, but when I went there they weren't open on a Saturday as Tokyo Central is supposed to be. I have no idea where to go to get my mail.

I've searched everywhere on the internet, and there's no information anywhere. I can't believe there's nothing on the Japan Post web site!

Help!!
by Gabriel (guest)  

... 2009/7/12 10:33
There seems to be no full-fletched replacement for the Central Post office around Tokyo Station, although there are a few offices in the area that offer some services 24 hours, but I am not sure whether handling post restante is included. Maybe somebody else can help:
http://map.japanpost.jp/pc/index.php

To be save, I personally would go to the Shinjuku Post office that offers 24 hour service 7 days of the week. It is only a 15 minute train ride away.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/13 12:46
Ahh... That doesn't really help me... Sorry. I need to get mail that was supposed to be delivered to Tokyo Central post office.

I called Japan Post a little while ago, they're going to call me back.

I'll post what I find out in case someone else has a similar issue.
by Gabriel (guest) rate this post as useful

Receiving mail 2009/7/19 22:07
Hi. I assume that you would have got your mail?
Why would you want to physically get your post from the post office? I mean, the postage system in Japan offers to resend the package to you if you did not manage to get it the first time. So as long as you have the slip that they provide you with when you weren't around, you can call and request for it to be sent to you at your desired time.
I hope it helped.
by Alvin Law (guest) rate this post as useful

Poste restante system 2009/7/19 22:16
Alvin, poste restante is a bit different- it's a way of receiving mail when you actually have no address in that city/country. The person posting the mail specifies a particular post office that the mail will be held at, and you have to go and pick it up yourself.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/19 22:25
Hi guys, thanks for your answers... I managed to get some help from the customer service department, which was awesome by the way. Mail sent to Tokyo central post restante can be picked up from Yaesu post office nearby :D

I have my mail now.
by Gabriel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread