Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

last scene of Lost in Translation? 2009/7/14 02:52
I'll go to tokyo next week and i'm a lover of this film, lost in translation, I wanna now where is the street that we watched on the last scene of the film...anyone knows??
by angel (guest)  

Which was the last scene 2009/7/14 14:08
You mean where they are saying goodbye and one gets into a taxi? That would be Center-gai in Shibuya, near Shibuya Crossing. If that's not it, can you describe the scene- most people haven't committed the whole movie to memory or even seen it recently.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

News article 2009/7/14 15:02
I've never seen the movie, so can't help, but I wanted to mention a newspaper article only last week (hopefully someone else might remember it) about how this movie was hardly shot in Tokyo at all - much of it was done in America and in other areas of Japan (but made to look like Tokyo). I'm sorry, but I can't find the article now though. And I only vaguely remember the article (because I've never seen the movie I didn't care) - but I think it said about the most genuine Tokyo part was inside the hotel - and not much else.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/14 15:05
I like this move too. To be honest I love it. Sorry I cant help You but I can recommend You to go to Park Hyatt Hotel. The same hotel from the move. When I was in Tokyo that place was on the the "must see" list :)
or maybe You stay in Hyatt...I couldn't afford it :)
by nfs rate this post as useful

Found that news article 2009/7/14 15:19
Wasn't exactly how I remembered and wrote above, but interesting reading none-the-less. Does mention Lost in Translation. Sorry, I'll try to stay on topic more often :D

http://www.japantoday.com/category/features/view/filmin...

Thanks 2009/7/15 00:14
Thanks to everyone! The scene I'm talking about is the last one, when Bill takes off the taxi and goes to find Scarlett and they kiss. I think it must be Shibuya, so I take a view of the area, and of course the Hotel of the film.
Thanks again!
by angel (guest) rate this post as useful

in theory 2009/7/15 08:05
well really it should be part of shinjuku, as he's leaving the hotel and going to Narita. Shouldn't be going anywhere near shibuya, but this is hollywood, so it could be anywhere.
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

south to Narita 2009/7/15 08:13
I remember thinking that- what is he doing in Shibuya if he's just left a hotel in Shinjuku for Narita? Totally the wrong direction.

Poetic license, I suppose.

thanks again 2009/7/15 17:33
I'll visit this area and I'll look for it... Thanks again!

lost in another town 2009/7/16 04:18
Sira got it..poetic license indeed..I once saw a US movie that was taking place in Paris but was actually filmed in Bordeaux for all the exteriors. One scene showed a funeral procession, with the horse drawn hearse (it was a historical movie) leaving the house and going to the cemetery...but the house was in fact 50 km away in real life. My former work place in Vancouver Canada was often used in movies taking place in New York. Once a company filmed it, all decked out in Christmas lights, with tons of (fake)snow on the street..in June!! don't be fooled by movies..it is actually fun to spot places you really know passing as something totally different..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Lost in another country 2009/7/16 07:37
To follow on from Monkeysee's comments and to go completely OT, one of the later Death Wish movies (DW3 directed by Michael Winner) was set in Brooklyn, but much of which was actually filmed in London, England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyvZX-1Yq-E

But probably my favourite was Full Metal Jacket, the "Hue,Vietnam" scenes were actually filmed at the old Beckton Gas Works in East London, England (a location also used for the movies 1984 and Biggles).
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/16 07:47
My favourite is one of the Jackie Chan movies filmed in Australia in Melbourne's Chinatown, and also in Brisbane's Chinatown (2000 km away). Anyway, one of the actors "punched" a bad guy with Melbourne in the background, yet when the bad guy hit the ground it was definitely Brisbane!!!

locations 2009/7/16 08:08
Then there is the mountain that plays Mt. Fuji in The Last Samurai- actually Mt. Taranaki in NZ. The forest they filmed the fight scene is also very obviously in NZ for anyone from there- doesn't look like Japanese forests at all.

karaoke kan 2009/7/17 01:15
Anyone knows the price of the Karaoke Kan in Shibuya (lost in translation), rooms, drinks, reservation... any info?
Thaaaaaaaanks!

... 2009/7/17 08:31
The rates of the Shibuya store:
http://www.karaokekan.jp/areapopup/index.php?id=4

Under the orange bar is the cost per person per 30 minutes, with the higher rates applying to Friday, Saturday, Sunday, national holidays and the day before national holidays. The lower rates to weekdays.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/7/17 23:44
Thank U so much!!! But do you know what's the difference of orange, blue and green bar?? The prices are in Yen, is it?

... 2009/7/18 11:47
Orange is as explained.

Blue is the price per person for unlimited singing between 11pm and 5am (not available on Fridays, Saturdays and nights days national holidays).

And green seems to be an unlimited singing plus unlimited soft drinks.

The prices are in yen and include taxes. The red prices apply to members and the small blue prices apply to non-members!
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/19 01:45
Thanks a lot!!! If I go there I'll explain here my experience.
See U!

reply to this thread