Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Kanazawa station - lockers? 2009/7/31 14:03
Hi guys,

My partner and I are going to be boarding in Hakuba, and thought we'd like to check out Kanazawa for a few hours on our way to Kyoto.

From what I understand, I can access Kanazawa by traveling from Hakuba to Itoigawa to Kanazawa. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if there's a more direct option... i.e. a bus service, please let me know!

Anyhow, what I really need to know is whether there is storage lockers are Kanazawa station? As we will be travelling with our luggage (backpacks), we don't really want to have to carry these around with us, while we admire the beautiful garden.

Your help is appreciated!
Thanks - Lisa!
by Lisaca (guest)  

route and lockers 2009/7/31 14:58
going via itoigawa seems right (checking here http://www.hyperdia.com/).

And yes, there are lockers at Kanazawa station, I have used them. You can check http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html to make sure your bags will fit.
by Terminator2 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/31 15:48
Thanks for the info.

Do you recall what size lockers are available at Kanazawa station?

Lisa
by Lisaca (guest) rate this post as useful

pretty sure... 2009/7/31 16:02
Im almost certain that they have all the sizes, but I used a small one.
by Terminator2 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/31 16:13
Great, thanks for that... our stuff will definitely fit - perhaps even in medium lockers.

Worst case scenario is we unpack everything into various lockers... ahahaha. Guess that's the advantage of a backpack over a suitcase!

... 2009/8/1 08:45
There are large lockers at Kanazawa station ;)

But not too many, when I've been there a group of backpackers wanted to use them but there weren't enough, so they just put their backpacks on the floor in front of the lockers. But I think you should be able to get one. ^^
by Georg (guest) rate this post as useful

Hakuba to Kanazawa to Kyoto 2009/8/3 01:18
The answers about lockers are correct; they have em all, right up to the big ones. Just a thought; are you planning to just spend a few hours in Kanazawa then go on to Kyoto? This makes for a long day of travelling. If you are going to Kanazawa to see the garden be aware that Kyoto has a lifetime's worth of beautiful gardens to see. Kanazawa is nice, but if the garden is the main thing then perhaps you would prefer a relaxing easy journey to Kyoto and see more gardens there. Or day trip to Okayama - another of the famous Big Three gardens. Just a thought!
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

Thanks.. 2009/8/3 20:19
Thanks for the advice - I would love to do more in Takayama than visit the garden, but unfortunately we don't have the time.

My boyfriend is restless on transport anyhow, so even if it does make the day longer, he will appreciate the chance to stretch his legs and take a in a breath of fresh air. Also, going via Takayama from Hakuba doesn't really increase the travel time much at all, from what I understand.

Kyoto is gorgeous, I agree, however this is my second time in Japan so I've already seen the sights I most want to see there. My boyfriend wants to go there (he's never been to Japan), but he's definitely a scenery and landscape person more than a temple and shrine person. Kyoto, of course, offers both, but I think Kenrokuen has a special charm of it's own.

Still, we are trying to combine a bit of everything, and we're trying to work out a good itinerary that works well for the both of us - I want my excursions to differ a bit from the last time, and of course, my partner doesn't want to miss any of the ''must see's''.

And unfortunately, we've only booked for 11 nights, which includes 3 nights at the snow - although we're now contemplating extending for an extra week.

reply to this thread