Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

attending a wake service in Japan 2009/8/2 14:19
Hello everyone,
I have been asked to attend a wake service later on today (Sun) . I have checked the archives for similar postings and the Japan Guide article on funeral services in Japan. I still have a couple of questions though. Should I bring flowers to the wake? also, do I need to bring a rosary? I don't have a rosary but read the guests individually pray using a rosary. Finally if anyone could teach me an appropriate message for the family I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Alex
by Alex (guest)  

Wake 2009/8/2 14:30
Alex,

No, you don't take flowers, and you don't need to take a rosary - unless that is something you yourself normally use.
You do need to take a small cash gift placed inside a special envelope available from convenience stores.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

depends on the region 2009/8/2 15:51
Alex, assuming you are attending a buddist wake, needing a rosary or not depends on the custom which differs mainly according to the region. For example, in greater Tokyo, it is quite common for hardly anyone to be carrying a rosary, but in conservative regions, everyone is expected to hold one when greeting the deceased.

It would be best if you can ask someone attending the same ceremony. If not, ask a rosary sales clerk (such as one in a department store) for advise. If you tend to live in Japan for several more years, it might be a good opportunity to buy an appropriate rosary fit for your gender and occasion.

The amount of cash also differs depending on your relationship with the deceased and the custom of the region. Best, go to a stationary shop or department store to buy the envelope and ask for advise there. The bills shouldn't be fresh, by the way. They should be fairly neat but used.

That said, non-Japanese are excused of any cultural mistakes they may make.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/8/2 16:23
Thanks Dave and Uco,

Right, I see.
One more question, is at appropriate to wear all black? or is that only for the funeral?

Many thanks again

Alex
by alex (guest) rate this post as useful

all black is fine 2009/8/2 17:45
Alex, it is appropriate to wear all black, but it can be anything else as long as it's dark and plain.

Culturally, the idea is to show grief, but not to let them think you were preparing for it way in advance.

the wake 2009/8/2 23:25
The wake is over now.
I used the rosary.
No flowers.
All black.
Thanks for the advice Dave and Uco.
by alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/8/3 00:06
Thank you for the feedback. Have a good night.

reply to this thread