Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

any cheap traditional wedding 2009/8/5 13:11
Hello, I'll change my question. Where (in Tokyo) I can get married in a very very cheap way?Of course I can't buy a Kimono and rent neither.
by Mandolina  

Marriage 2009/8/5 14:26
It's kind of strange having a traditional wedding without wearing traditional clothes?

The way i look at it is weddings are not supposed to be cheap, though don't have to be incredibly expensive either. It *should* be the best day of the new couples life and one of union.
Do you have a budget you can tell us?
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

the cheapest solution we can have? 2009/8/5 15:23
I just have a yukata, and he can buy a yukata as well, but of course it's not the same! any suggestion?? There will be no guests, just the two of us.
by Mandolina rate this post as useful

Cheap wedding 2009/8/5 15:33
Mandolina,

Are you asking about how to get married cheaply or how to have a cheap wedding ceremony?
If it is the former, then it doesn't cost anything to register your marriage at your nearest ward office, and you are free to turn up in yukata if you wish.
If you want a ceremony just for the two of you, then get a friend - preferably a white gaijin who speaks Japanese with a very English accent - to dress up in a fake vicar/priest outfit (available from Tokyu Hands), and do your ceremony in a park somewhere accompanied by suitable bridal music (210 yen CD from Daiso) on a portable CD player. You could even do it on the beach in Odaiba with the Rainbow Bridge behind you. Don't you have any imagination?
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/5 15:34
I'm afraid that wearing yukata at a shinto wedding ceremony is like wearing T-shirts and short pants at a church wedding.

If rental kimono for wedding is too expensive, how about using rental service of ordinary kimono?
It's like wearing good dress instead of wedding dress, less expensive but still look proper and appropriate.

Or forget about kimono and just wear a nice dress you have and a suite for your husband to be.

Just my 2 yen.
by magonote (guest) rate this post as useful

We don't want a fake ceremony 2009/8/5 16:03
We don't want to register the thing, wedon't want it to be legal, but neither a fake ceremony. We deeply want to celebrate our love. Can I have a shinto ceremony without wearing a Kimono?

. 2009/8/5 16:31
Of course you can have a ceremony at shinto without wearing kimono.
It's not norm and sometimes people prefer western wedding dress.

Ceremony alone seems to cost something around JPY50,000 - JPY100,000.
http://wakon.bua.jp/?gclid=CKKWuKT_i5wCFZYtpAodpBToYw

And if you do not speak Japanese at all and only you two will be at the ceremony, I think you'll need someone who acts as an interpreter, not just at the ceremony but for arranging it (reservation etc.) as well.

... 2009/8/5 17:35
You can have a Shinto wedding ceremony wearing "proper" wedding attire - a suit or something. But please note that yukata is more like a lounging wear at home (bathrobe) and summer neighborhood lounging wear at best, so please do not consider wearing yukata for a wedding.

For other posters, this was where her question started from:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...
by AK rate this post as useful

Just to add.. 2009/8/5 18:46
I agree with magonote - is this amount (50,000 - 100,000 plus an interpreter fee) something you can consider at all? Then that's the way to go. If you cannot afford this, then I'm afraid you have to give up on the idea.
by AK rate this post as useful

the cheapest... 2009/8/5 20:06
we can afford until 50000 yen. Actually I speak japanese but I can't read very well. Anyway, where could we go? Do you know little shrines?

. 2009/8/6 01:32
Mandolina, not all the shrines have facilities for wedding.
Actually number of shrines that can carry out wedding ceremonies is limited.
(And being small does not mean cheap.)

Why don't you start with the shrines listed in the webpage in my previous post?

I'm looking to do the same... 2009/9/29 02:49
My fiancee and I are both Americans and are going to Japan summer of 2010 to have a wedding ceremony (only him and I will attend) and our honeymoon.

How do we go about getting a simple, yet traditional wedding ceremony? Since it will only be him and I.

Thx!
by Carlita rate this post as useful

reply to this thread