Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One-way Shinkansen ticket 2009/8/12 19:15
I don't understand the shinkansen fares listed in hyperdia.

I will travel from Tokyo to Shinosaka and may I know which fare do I look at? There are two columns - fare and charge.

I don't want to buy JR pass because I feel it might be under utilised. I will spend 4 nights in Tokyo and 3 nights in Osaka. So the only long distance travel will be one-way from Tokyo to Osaka.
by Isa (guest)  

fare+charge 2009/8/13 10:26
I will travel from Tokyo to Shinosaka and may I know which fare do I look at? There are two columns - fare and charge.

Actually you look at both and add them together. The fare is the portion that covers the distance travelled (and would be what you would pay if you took local trains the whole way) and the charge is the fee that covers using the shinkansen.

In hyperdia check the last line in the summary of each route for the section "Total amount of money" for the total trip cost. And make sure to choose either reserved or unreserved seats when searching to get the correct totals.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Nozomi & Hikari 2009/8/13 11:24
Hey is there any price difference between Nozomi and Hikari if I buy it at the counter?

Can I buy ticket a few days before departure but without seat reservation extra charge?
by WRK (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/13 11:36
Hey is there any price difference between Nozomi and Hikari if I buy it at the counter?

Only if you use a reserved seat. The difference is a few hundred yen. If you travel by unreserved seat, there is no price difference.

Can I buy ticket a few days before departure but without seat reservation extra charge?

Yes, it is possible to buy tickets in advance, but if you do not make seat reservations, there are not many reasons to do so.

The difference in price between reserved seats and unreserved seats is roughly 500 yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread