Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what to give to a Japanese? 2009/8/18 13:49
A friend of mine in the US asks one of her friends living in tokyo to take me around as a guide for a couple days when I come there next week. what should I give my guide as a thankyou gift?
by Mrtravel (guest)  

details... 2009/8/18 16:32
Some food (cookies, candy) from your country is usually a safe bet. Could you give us an idea of the age of your guide and whether it's a man or a woman?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

hi 2009/8/19 11:35
its a 30-ish female.

do japanese generally like chocolate? like godiva choco?
by mrtravel (guest) rate this post as useful

ideas 2009/8/19 11:48
Godiva is very popular in Japan, but so popular that you see shops everywhere. Are you from Belgium? Perhaps you can just buy some fancy local chocolates in your neighborhood if there are any.

Or if you're meeting this guide outdoors, chocolates can be a burden as they can melt in this heat. How about getting a tiny pin badge or something like that? Or you can simply pay for lunch or buy some snacks and coffee for the guide on the spot.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/19 14:16
not all women like to eat chocolates, i don't.

where do you live?

a gift would be extra special if it has resemblance of your country of origin, you mentioned godiva but like the other guest mentioned since it's so common in japan it's not so special and talking about the weather it will get melted, if you buy biscuits/cookies it's quite troublesome. buy something that it's for unisex, without size

a japanese friend (femal) of mine loves wood carving, what about fridge magnet, well let us know where do you live....
so that we have a better idea.
by Blossom88 rate this post as useful

gift for friend 2009/8/20 00:55
the japanese women I know wear scarves often - a nice silk scarf wouldn't take up much room and would be light in your luggage.
Brand name bags are quite popular - Coach etc. Of course you don't want to buy something that expensive but if there were an accessory like a small wallet or key chain that might be nice.
There are pewter or silver jewelry items available for reasonable prices on the internet; look around for a nice piece that wouldn't be too expensive or too personal.
If there is a local craft store near where you are see what you can find.
If this person is spending a few days of her time on you I would splurge for more than chocolate or cookies, frankly.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

gift 2009/8/20 00:58
Me again.

My husband and I were in a position in which we were constantly exchanging gifts, for years while we lived in japan. I struggled to find american gifts but you know what? The people to whom we gave gifts were MOST excited about really nice things FROM JAPAN that they knew & enjoyed.
So my feeling is, forget about buying something that reflects your country and get something NICE that you think a women in your own country would like.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/8/22 11:48
thanks all for the answers.

yeah i think no chocolates. it's too hot to carry choco around all day long.

Its so hard to think of what to buy. Maybe i'll just buy some cookies or something.
by mrtravel (guest) rate this post as useful

too sweet snack is bad 2009/8/27 12:58
I think some Japanese people aren’t used to eat very sweet snack of foreign country.
Chocolates, cookies, candies are very nice but Japanese people probably don’t like to eat too sweet gum, colored jerry beans and so on. I think that clothes or bags of foreign country are very interesting!
by chocolate (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't be cheap 2009/8/28 01:36
She is taking a couple of days of her time, so if she takes time off work to show you around it is costing her. If you were to hire a guide or a tour it would cost you plenty. With her as your guide you will have a much better time than alone. I find it very difficult to pay for a meal when visiting Japanese people. My advise to you is go to a Coach outlet store and get her a nice bag, or Gucci, etc. A scarf, costume jewelry, music CD, or smoked salmon gift pack is OK for a casual greeting, but for someone that is making an effort to entertain you, a more substantial gift is in order.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Gifts to Give to Japanese 2009/8/30 17:25
There are few things you could give to Japanese. Here are a few suggestions:-

(For women above 30)
1) Table runner
2) Pewter
3) L'Occitane Fragrant Touch perfume in Lavender or Rose
4) The Natural Source - Handcreams
5) Make-up pouch with make-ups stuff inside (Eyeliner, Lipstick, Lipgloss and Mirror)
6) Bangles
7) Watches
8) Scarves
9) Nice hats

(For family)
1) Red wines
2) Homemade cookies from your country
3) Any other food that is specific to your country
4) Keychains
5) Fridge Magnets

(For men : 30 above)
1) Hats (like those golf hats)
2) Keychains
3) Document bags
4) Special Mugs
5) Tea caddies

P/S: Jim Thompson store has very nice selections of items to 'gift'. Try it.
by Katt (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread