Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a Pre-payed japanese SIM card 2009/8/31 02:24
Hello all!

I'm visiting Japan approx. every 2 months and it's a real pain always geting a rental phone, a different number you have to let all know that number etc... So I was thinking of getting a pre-payed SIM card, is that even possible? I know you can get a pre-payed phone but only if you have a Visa and so on but since I visit Japan for approx. 14 days everytime I do not need a visa to visit it. I checked ebay and all I can get is an inactive SIM card that I basicly can't use and I have no idea why the sell 'em online xD.

Anyways let me know how to buy a card so that I basicly only fill my SIM with credits when I get there.

Tnx in advance!
by Blacklotus (guest)  

prepaid sim 2009/8/31 11:17
Softbank seemed to be the only carrier that offered prepaid sim's but has recently stopped selling them. As far as I am aware there isn't any other company offering them at this time.

I'm not positive if it will work but you may be able to purchase a rental phone, ditch the handset and use the sim in you own phone. However, it's probably best to just use the prepaid phone if you go this route. They start at around 5000 yen with credit costing between 3000 and 5000 yen. And you can purchase one with just a passport and hotel address at various Softbank stores around Tokyo.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

recently 2009/9/1 12:55
A friend of mine bought a prepaid Softbank SIM, the Sunday before last (23rd August) at Narita Airport.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

sim 2009/9/1 14:22
great, I guess the reports that they aren't selling them anymore may be wrong. I wish softbank would do a better job of listing their services and prices on their site. Sandy, do you know how much it costs? Also, do you know if this is a Narita-only service as the last time I was there they had some global prepaids and sims that had a different pricing structure from the domestic offerings.

sim 2009/9/3 16:21
Sorry guys, I totally forgot the conversation I had here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+5...

Looks like they are available at softbank stores, and reportedly don't cost anything except the cost of calling credit.

reply to this thread