Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokans near Tokyo tower? 2009/9/2 03:40
We're going to see a friend living very close to the Tokyo tower, and would prefer to stay in a ryokan near by (max. 2 kms from the tower). Seems quite difficult to find any from Google, does anyone have any hints?

We would prefer reasonable price (if even possible.. :)), and a small japanese garden and a public bath would be like icing on the cake.
by Ryokan (guest)  

... 2009/9/2 11:51
The area near Tokyo Tower is soooo central that it would be difficult to find any "ryokan" type of inns at all, "ryokan" in either senses: (1) traditional Japanese inns (often expensive) with meals served in-room and spacious bath, often associated with hot spring resort, or (2) budget Japanese-style room inns without the luxury.

For regular hotels, what is your budget?
by AK rate this post as useful

13000JPY 2009/9/2 20:21
Around 13000JPY per night/per room (that fits 2 persons) is about the max we can handle. The top 3 requirements at least for me would be price, location and japanese-style rooms, in no specific order. I get to sleep in a normal bed all year round so when in Japan I would really like to sleep on tatami. :)

The public bath would be super but that's not a must.
by Ryokan (guest) rate this post as useful

About the only choice w/i budget 2009/9/2 22:12
I searched on a Japanese hotel booking site and came across this one:
http://www.sanuki-club.com/English/top_english.htm

They do have Japanese rooms and large shared bath - I suspect that the Japanese rooms do not come with bathroom, though (I cannot be sure). I've read some reviews and everyone says the building was a bit old... but 14,000 for a double occupancy Japanese room AND close to that area sounds about right, doesn't it? :)

Tokyo Sanuki Club 2009/9/2 23:03
AK, it was nice of you to find that place. And it even has a little garden! I was curious myself, so I took a look. Indeed, the Japanese style rooms on the fourth floor do not have a bathroom (that is, no toilet, no bathtub). The more expensive ones on the 11th and 12th floors do. This is made clear on the hotel's Japanese web site:
http://www.sanuki-club.com/top_japanese.htm

(If you click on the third button from the top in the set of buttons on the left side of the page, it takes you to the Japanese chart for the rooms. The ones marked with a star have no bathroom.)
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/9/2 23:10
Ahhh, thanks, Uma. I jumped right from the booking site and started looking for a link in English I could attach to my post, and overlooked that page!

So... I hope the original posters can live with a bathroom they have to go out of your room to reach (just down the hall probably)...

Facilities 2009/9/2 23:51
AK,
Yes, hopefully an "en suite" isn't one of the original poster's requirements. It is a big deal for some people, not such a big deal for others. Myself, I find it kind of amusing how many Japanese people consider a "washlet" toilet to be a minimum requirement these days. Any hotel that doesn't have them will inevitably get a lot of comments in reviews from Japanese customers.

It can sometimes be hard to locate information on whether Japanese-style accommodations have bathrooms. Most of the time, their web sites or Rakuten/Jalan listings are pretty clear, but sometimes you have to dig and dig, especially when some of a property's rooms have bathrooms but others don't. In this case, it was fairly easy to find but you can hardly be faulted for missing it! It surely took some digging just to find the hotel.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

expensive part of Tokyo 2009/9/3 08:54
That is the very centre of Tokyo you are describing, and as such it is a busy and expensive area that is mostly business districts.

Ryokans are usually associated with hot springs and mountainous rural areas, or alternatively as above cheaper accommodation in more suburban areas, so don't be surprised if you don't find what you are looking for- especially with your budget, which is low for the area.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread