Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I make $ when in college in Japan 2009/9/3 06:43
I am planning on going to Japan when I am finished school. I plan on taking computer science. I am wondering if there is any way I could make money while going to school.
I am not looking for ''Sell some stuff'' or something like that. I would like serious answers please.
Thanks for your time and for answering!

-Zack
by Ziczak  

student jobs 2009/9/3 10:15
You could teach English, or work in a bar, same as lots of other students do... is that what you are asking?

I assume it's yen you are hoping to earn, and not $?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

college 2009/9/3 10:15
Get a job.

As a student, with approval from immigration and your school you can work part time while attending school. Depending on your visa you may be limited to working 20 hours a week, which is far to little as a sole means of financial support.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Okay thanks! 2009/9/3 12:32
Well, I know I can at least work.
But do you know how much money I should have in order to go to college for computer science and live off the money I make from 20 hours a week?
by Ziczak rate this post as useful

student visa 2009/9/3 16:08
In order to qualify for the student visa you will have to show sufficient funds to cover your expenses in advance and not counting income while studying. Alternatively you could show that you have financial support from an outside source, your parents for example, who could provide the financial statements. The idea is that you can pay for everything without having to work while studying.

Various figures have been thrown around the forums, so I'd suggest you search around, but I believe it was in excess of 1,000,000 yen.

studying 2009/9/3 16:11
Also, be aware that you cannot immediately start working while on a student visa. Only after a few months at school with good attendance records and your school and immigrations approval can you start working.

reply to this thread