Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused about subway system 2009/9/3 12:00
Hi. I will be staying in the Tokyo Disneyland area, and the nearest train station is Maihama which is on a JR East Keiyo line. I suppose that's my start point for visiting the rest of Tokyo.

I will be having 2day free tokyo metro pass, can these be used on JR East line? For my one week stay, I assume I'll have to take the train from Maihama to Tokyo station and transfer to various subway lines to get to places like Shinjuku and Sensoji temple. Right? Is there a stored value card that can be used on both tokyo metro lines and JR East?
by Alfred Seet (guest)  

. 2009/9/3 14:57
[2day free tokyo metro pass]
Tokyo Metro only.can't use JR.

[Tokyo Free Kippu]
Tokyo metro + JR + Toei subway
1580yen/1day

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/3 15:57
Is there a stored value card that can be used on both tokyo metro lines and JR East?

The Suica and Pasmo prepaid card can be used on all trains in and around Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Maihama 2009/9/3 17:25
Alfred,

As Uji says, a Suica prepaid card would probably be the most convenient option for you, even if it does not offer any savings. You really have to travel quite extensively within the area to get value for money from the Tokyo Free Kippu, so it probably isn't worth it.

Having said all that, is your hotel already fixed? I ask because I don't think staying near Disneyland is going to be particularly convenient if you plan on exploring central Tokyo most days. You are likely to tire of the tediously long walk involved in changing to and from the underground Keiyo Line platforms at Tokyo station rather quickly, so you might want to consider staying at a more convenient location in central Tokyo.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Staying in tokyo bay area 2009/9/3 17:32
Hi Dave,

I'm only staying for a week, with probably 2 days in Disneyland. The reason I chose a hotel in that area was because I couldn't find hotels in central tokyo which had a room to accomodate 2 adults + 2 children. The only hotels which had that were in tokyo bay area, and rates were very affordable.

The other alternative would be ryokans, but I found them too costly as well for a family of 4.
by Alfred Seet (guest) rate this post as useful

1km underground 2009/9/3 21:20
Unfortunately that means, as Dave in Saitama says, that on the days you come into central Tokyo, you will have an almost 1km walk underground between the Keiyo line platform and the main part of Tokyo station with all the other JR and subway lines. There are moving walkways, but it is quite a hike.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Why Tokyo Station... 2009/9/3 23:56
when you can get off at Hacchibori and take the Hibiya line to Ginza or Hibiya Station? From these stations, you can access all of Tokyo without the hassle of Tokyo Station.
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

Whoops!! 2009/9/4 00:06
That should be Hacchobori ”ª’š–x(or Hatchobori) depending on where you look or translate it.

You can also access Ueno Station and Roppongi Station on the Hibiya Line.
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

RE: Confused about subway system 2009/9/4 04:32
: I will be staying in the Tokyo Disneyland area, and the nearest train station is Maihama which is on a JR East Keiyo line.
: I suppose that's my start point for visiting the rest of Tokyo.

- Trains from / to Narita Airport do not run via Maihama area. If you arrive in Japan at Narita Airport, then it sounds not nice to first visit Tokyo Disney Resort [TDR] then head for Tokyo. (TDR is not located in Tokyo Prefecture, to be precise.)
- Reading your post, I see no reason to recommend your lodging in Maihama area for other nights than the nights before you visit TDR.
- If you have enough time before this journey, then I suppose it's worth trying a hotel / ryokan in other areas, though maybe that does not perfectly meat your requirements.

: I will be having 2day free tokyo metro pass, can these be used on JR East line?
: there a stored value card that can be used on both tokyo metro lines and JR East?

- A Tokyo Metro Pass is valid for 9 subway lines of Tokyo Metro, which is one of the two operators of subway lines in and around Tokyo. Another operator is Tokyo's Bureau of Transportation, whose 4 subway lines are usually crowned with "Toei": Toei Oedo Line, Toei Asakusa Line, Toei Shinjuku Line, Toei Mita Line. No Tokyo Metro Pass can be used on these 4 lines.
- If you have already decided in details the spots to visit in Tokyo, then I suppose it's better to seek the routes comfortable for the spots than to pursue a value ticket / pass for such short-distance trips.

: For my one week stay, I assume I'll have to take the train from Maihama to Tokyo station and transfer to various subway lines to get to places like Shinjuku and Sensoji temple. Right?

- Only one subway line has Tokyo Station: Marunouchi Line of Tokyo Metro. The platform of this line is relatively near that of Keiyo Line of JR-East, but the transfer still requires a bit long walk.
- You can make a gate-to-gate transfer at Shin-kiba Sta. to Yurakucho Line of Tokyo Metro / Rinkai Line of TWR.
- For Sensoji Temple, you can take this route:
Maihama --[JR-East: Keiyo Line]-- Hatchobori --[gates]-- Hatchobori --[Tokyo Metro: Hibiya Line]-- Ueno --[Tokyo Metro: Ginza Line]-- Asakusa.
- Your route for Shinjuku area depends on your destination.
- As is mentioned in other posts, you'd better avoid as possible a transfer at Tokyo Sta. between Keiyo Line and a line on the ground. If the two children are little but not so light to be carried, then the transfer can be a nightmare for them after getting comfortably tired in Tokyo Disneyland.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread