Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why no Nozomi on JR pass? 2009/9/4 09:46
I came back from Japan in August and had used a JR 7-day pass. I'm still trying to figure out why they prohibit the use of the pass on the Nozomi trains. From what I usually saw, the Nozomi trains were only half full. And when looking at the price difference between tickets on Hikari/Kodama versus the Nozomi, it is only a couple hundred yen. I didn't really care that the Nozomi made less stops, but rather the service was much more frequent. It would sometimes be 3 Nozomi trains in a row, and then finally a Kodama or Hikari. Any speculation as to why they restrict the Nozomi trains for the pass?
by pete335  

Japan Rail Pass 2009/9/4 11:00
Pete,

This is a question that periodically appears on forums and in the letters page of the Japan Times newspaper.
Historically, the Nozomi was the premier shinkansen service with only a limited number of trains and no non-reserved cars, so it made sense to exclude them from discount deals such as the Japan Rail Pass, and it was no real inconvenience to railpass users. However, now that the number of Nozomi services hourly greatly exceeds the number of Hikaris, and the through Hikari services from Tokyo to Hakata have been discontinued, it has made the situation seem a lot more inconvenient and anachronistic. I would strongly recommend writing to JNTO, as that is probably an organization that is capable of applying pressure on the railway companies if enough people continue to complain. Don't bother writing to JR Central, as they are not interested in anything that does not directly generate revenue for them.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/4 11:05
The nozomi was originally introduced as a special super express. At that time, it was less frequent considerably more expensive than hikari trains. JR decided to exclude it from the Japan Rail Pass during that time.

Much later, the number of nozomi was increased and the number of hikari trains was decreased. At the same time, the price difference between the two trains was made much smaller. However, the rules of the Japan Rail Pass were not changed.

I heard part of the reason is the conservative attitude of JR Tokai, which operates the Tokaido Shinkansen. Foreign travelers are not among their top priorities.
by Uji rate this post as useful

RE: Why no Nozomi on JR pass? 2009/9/4 14:37
Tokaido Shinkansen and San'yo Shinkansen lines are the most major railroad artery in Japan.
As a matter of course, trains there exist not only for tourists (regardless of whether domestic or foreign ones) who travel crossing the boundary Shin-Osaka Station.

If I were President of JR-Central or of JR-West, I would not immediately lift the restriction on NOZOMI for JR Pass holders; maybe I would make JR Passes cover the fare, but not the Ltd. Express charge.
Almost all foreign tourists come to Japan by air. Most of them are not familiar with Japan, and many of them are tired after a long flight and still in a jet lag.
For such tourists, it does not necessarily result in true easiness to move "easily" with a railroad pass by NOZOMI for a long distance in a very short time between places of different climates, cultures or so. Repeating such moves, a first-time Japan traveler may fall into a bad health and/or a culture shock.

NOZOMI, HIKARI, KODAMA are at almost the same level of transportation safety, because they are operated with the same system.
No foreign tourists are deprived of opportunities to make use of the world's top-class railroad system.
I do not think the best benefit of railroad must be conferred upon me in my trip in U.S.A., U.K., France or so, as long as I am guaranteed good transports, because I know I am just a foreign tourist there.

As to the point which one you'd better request on this issue, I'm quite contrary to Dave in Saitama. This issue should be handled primarily by JR-Central and JR-West.
JNTO is not a government's division. The government's division for tourism is Japan Tourism Agency. Each of the two is completely the third party on this issue.
I understand the third party's applying pressure on a railroad company was one of old unhealthy practices, especially before JNR was privatized into JR companies in 1987.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

The No in Nozomi 2009/9/4 17:13
Don't forget that the JR Pass offers HUGE discounts on long distance train travel. Foreigners are very welcome to ride the Nozomi, but they must pay the full rate, the same as the Japanese do. We are not being discriminated against. The JR Pass is a great deal; to moan that it does not cover the Nozomi is like being given a hefty money-off voucher for a restaurant and moaning when the small print says "not to be used on Sat nights".
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/4 19:12
I'm also in the small minority (maybe) but I also tend to agree, the JR Pass already offers fantastic discounts, Nozomi is the fastest and premium service offered by the JR companies (the JR pass is an agreement with all the JR companies) (note that the JR west pass does cover JR west Nozomi) .

Asking for more, is like what some have mentioned. Just a little extra I don't think some JR companies are going to give out. The JR pass is already a good deal.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

it's great 2009/9/4 19:29
I also agree that the JR Pass is a fantastic deal: there are more than enough options for JR Pass holders.
Changing trains at Shin Osaka is no great deal: if you are organised, know the carriages etc then transferring luggage is a small price to pay for the phenomenal discounts received.
Unless doing the full Tokyo-Hakata route it is usually possible to travel on Hikaris without changing at Shin Osaka: there are many options from the major hubs: flexibility and pre-planning is the way to go
As a tourist it is a privilege to use such excellent public facilities at a fraction of the cost to resident nationals.
Yes, Nozomi would be great to be able to use: but not at the expense of increasing the JR Pass costs.
Of course, I would love to use Nozomi: I do not, however, consider it a right when also expecting reduced costs.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread