Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are bikini tops allowed in public baths? 2009/9/15 19:49
I'll feel uneasy at public baths as I'm sz 32A at the most. I'm probably flatter than the avg 12 yr old! and I am 17.

Do they allow bikini tops in public baths?
by Bony Bonnie (guest)  

No clothing of any kind 2009/9/16 12:18
No, no clothing is allowed, absolutely no exceptions, and you can't take a towel into the bath either. All you would do by wearing a top would be to draw attention to yourself, whereas otherwise people won't give you a second glance.

In any case, don't worry. Japanese women tend not to be that large in the chest, and a group of women is hardly going to ridicule you/stare because you have small breasts!

Enjoy your bathing experience.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/16 16:49
It's not that tops are "not allowed," but you will be embarrassing all the other butt-naked women and you yourself will look weird being the only one with a thing on your chest.

But what Sira is saying is that you can't take a "bath towel" to the bathing room. On the other hand, you are supposed to bring along a face towel (a thin towel about 2 feet long). Most women press the towel lightly in front of her so that it will sort of hide the front part of her body when walking around.

Btw, the towel should be used to scrub yourself with soap before dipping into the tub. While in the tub, the towel should be kept either at the rim of the tub or on your head (you shouldn't soak it in the tub). Then when going back to the dressing room, you should wipe yourself roughly with that towel.

In any case, no one will know you're 17.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

don't worry 2009/9/17 03:55
Yes like both posters above have said before, you can't wear anything into a bath/onsen. Don't worry and don't be embarassed. You will probably be the only person concerned about your body. No one will stare at you or ridicule you. My sister was very nervous going in but her fears disappeared within 10 minutes of being there. She ended up loving it!
by MCL (guest) rate this post as useful

signs 2009/9/17 08:30
Uco san, I have seen signs at some onsens and other public baths very clearly stating that no kind of clothing including swimsuits are to be worn into the baths, and no towels are to be put in the water. I would say that in most cases, tops are definitely "not allowed".

Thanks 2009/9/17 10:37
Sira,

I see your point about the clothes, and I suppose you're right. It's a good thing they put up signs. In the past, signs weren't necessary as everyone took it for granted that you are to be naked. And I suppose we agree on the (smaller) towels that they are to be brought into the bathing room but not into the tub.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

shaving 2009/9/17 12:39
Thanks for the replies, I guess I have no other choice then.

Also, is it customary to shave "down there" before going to public baths?
by Bony Bonnie (guest) rate this post as useful

Nope 2009/9/17 14:16
No, it isn't. Japanese women tend to leave things as nature intended "down there". If you mean shave completely, then that would get you more looks than anything else, I guarantee.

Don't shave 2009/9/18 06:07
No need to do that. You will get stared at a lot for sure if you shave it all off.
by Sunny Rock (guest) rate this post as useful

It's ok in mixed onsens 2009/9/18 09:39
Hey

This is for way up north. But there are some mixed-sex onsens where you must wear a towel over your bits.

I think it spoils the point but I guess it depends on the onsen. And also, don't worry about coming into close contact with a guy because although there are mixed onsens, they are sometimes segregated by an imaginery line.

But these places are rare all thanks to the government who imposed extra taxes on the onsens for keeping this traditional mixed bathing option. So, most of the onsens converted to single sex. As was their plan.

You can still find them up north. I know that their are some in Miyagi and Fukushima. But a long way for a bath. But worth it if your in the area.

I use this website for onsen research. It lets you know everything from water pH to cost. It even lists if a swim suit is allowed.

http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/

Then click on the "Search" link at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps

Adam

by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

Where are you staying? 2009/9/18 09:50
Hi Bony Bonnie,

I've just checked the site. I'm guessing that your staying in Tokyo. There are 3 listed onsens that allow swimsuits in Tokyo-to.

Hamanoyo (Oshima)
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/show.php?&selcode=131

Ashitsuki (Shikinejima)
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/show.php?&selcode=47

Jinta (Shikinejima)
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/show.php?&selcode=48

I've not read the reviews, so leave that to you. But they are listed averaged as 3-4 star out of 5). I don't know where they are in relation to central Tokyo. Might be a bit of a train ride. Maybe someone else could let her know.

If your not in Tokyo. Try searching the lists at
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/search/search.php

Hope this helps

Adam
by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

maybe not worthwhile 2009/9/18 13:04
Those hot springs are indeed in Tokyo prefecture, but Oshima is a 3 hour ferry ride from Tokyo and Shikinejima is another island about twice as far again away. I have been to the hot spring on Oshima and it's nice, with a great view of Mt. Fuji, but I wouldn't recommend a trip to either island for anyone on a short visit to Japan- too far out of the way.

Shave? 2009/9/21 01:30
In addittion to the posters telling that when you're shaved 'down there' you get more people staring at you, I can say I haven't had that experience. Since 3 years I do Brazilian. I didn't notice more women staring at me this year in onsens than in 2005 when I wasn't.
by Trudy63 rate this post as useful

different experiences 2009/9/21 13:46
I have seen posts from women possibly here and elsewhere saying that they did get stared at when they went to an onsen after having a Brazilian wax. In any case, I'm sure we can agree that it's not "customary to shave" that area before going to an onsen.

reply to this thread