Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transfer at Shin-yokohama station 2009/10/21 14:05
I will be transferring from Shinakansen Hikari at Shin-yokohama station to a JR Chuo line train. I'm a bit nervous as there is only 5 minutes between when the hikari arrives and the JR train leaves. Does anyone know whether that's enough time to transfer from the Shinkansen platform? Does anyone know the platform number? Hyperdia didn't have the information. Thanks in advance! (If I miss this train, I'll miss the subsequent 3 transfers I need to make. :-( Travelling from Kyoto to Kawaguchiko)
by Kittykuma (guest)  

Not JR Chuo 2009/10/21 15:51
JR Chuo line does not pass through Shin-Yokohama. I think you must be transferring to JR Yokohama line, then switching to Chuo at Hachioji.

Shin-Yokohama is quite a small station, with only the Shinkansen and Yokohama line, as well as an underground station. However, the route to the Yokohama line is a bit involved as it is in a separate part of the station and requires 3 sets of escalators/stairs, which get crowded at peak times, so you might struggle, especially if you have luggage.

I can't find an English map of the station, but there are plenty of signs and it's fairly obvious.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Kyoto to Kawaguchiko 2009/10/21 17:23
Lady Kodaira,

I suspect that you're doing your train search on Hyperdia.com using Kyoto as your Start Point and Kawaguchiko as your Destination in arriving at your train schedules and the short transfer times. The transfer time at Hachioji Station is also very short. Under "Time Table" for all trains, click on the picture of the clock & book and you will see that the next trains are only 8 to 30 minutes later. So, catching the next train is a better option.

For your train search, do not use Kyoto with final destination Kawaguchiko. Instead, do your 1st search from Kyoto to Shin-Yokohama, your 2nd search from Shin-Yokohama to Hachioji, your 3rd search from Hachioji to Takao, etc. Then, you can catch the later trains and give yourself more time for each transfer.

The over-all travel time may be longer but you'll be much more comfortable in not missing the next train. The later trains will also allow you more time to look for your next train's departing platform/track number.
by Harold (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto to Kawaguchiko 2009/10/21 17:26
My sincere apologies as my response should have been addressed to Kittykuma.

Do your train scheduling as I suggested and you'll be fine.

Harold
by Harold (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Transfers on Kyoto - Kawaguchiko 2009/10/21 19:27
For Shin-Yokohama Station, five minutes must be too short:
track 1 & 2 platform - going down from Kyoto side / Tokyo side - passing through West Transfer Gate / East Transfer Gate - going down to the pathway - going down to Track 5 & 6 platform - catching a train at Track 6.
(A train destined to Hachioji comes within 11 minutes of a train destined to Hashimoto or Machida, except for the last few trains around midnight.)

In Hachioji Station you just move to a neghbouning platform. Most of the non-express trains going westbound are destined to Takao. Some of the Ltd. Express train do not stop at Otsuki.

It's better if you can get Fujikyu tickets in advance, via a major travel agent's branch in Kyoto, for example.

Have a nice trip!

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Plenty of trains 2009/10/21 20:43
The Yokohama line is a very frequent service. I wouldn't be remotely concerned with the transfer time as there will be another train in a few minutes. I hope though that you are not planning it at rush hour. The Yokohama line is IMHO as bad as it gets for crowded trains.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Thank you!!! 2009/10/22 07:01
Thank you everyone for your helpful answers! I am indeed transferring at Shin-Yokohama to Yokohama line, then Chuo line at Hachioji, etc.

I'll do the search as Harold suggested, thanks so much for that! And I'm relieved to hear that at Hachioji the platforms are so close. Phew!

I'll be travelling on New Year's Day actually, and I'm very anxious about it after reading the forums & the site! I'm hoping to get to Kawaguchiko before 5pm.

Thanks again =)

by Kittykuma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread