Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reserving bus seat in Gifu 2009/10/28 11:58
I am trying to reserve bus seats for
(1) Gifu to Gujo Hachiman
(2) Takayama to Shirakawago
(3) Takayama to Okuhida
(4) Okihida to Matsumoto

Does anyone know if I can book these at Gifu Bus Terminal?

Thanks.
by Chloe (guest)  

... 2009/10/28 17:58
(1) Gifu to Gujo Hachiman

Yes, assuming that the bus is not booked out.

(2) Takayama to Shirakawago
(3) Takayama to Okuhida
(4) Okihida to Matsumoto

No. They are operated by different bus companies.
by Uji rate this post as useful

car rental 2009/10/28 23:40
Have you considered renting a car for Gifu - Gujo Hachiman - Takayama - Shirakawa-go part !?
by William5 rate this post as useful

Internet booking 2009/10/28 23:45
Hi Uji,

Yes, that's my fear, that the bus is booked out when I arrive at the city.

Is there other way to book the bus seat in advance from oversea? Is there some agent that I can go to book via internet or email?

Thanks.

Rgds,
by Chloe (guest) rate this post as useful

Rent a car 2009/10/29 00:03
Hi William,

Just saw your post.

Yes, I did. But I have never driven in Japan and am also concern about the weather condition, such as snowing, in late Nov in the region after reading other posting about driving in Takayama.

Should I decide to rent a car, will it be necessary to get a snow chain just in case we encounter snow along the way?

Rgds,

some thoughts 2009/10/29 13:12
I doubt that there is snow during Nov. in the places you mentioned. At most, maybe in Shirakawa-go, but even there it is doubtful. Consider yourself lucky if there is snow in Shirakawa-go because I have seen beautiful picture of the place in snow.

The reason I bring up car rental is that the 4 places are close together and seem quite suitable for a compact road-trip, cheaper than public transport if there is a party of 4 or 5 travelling together. Gujo-Hachiman is comparatively harder to get to by public transport. By train it requires a train transfer plus a bus connection. By long distance bus, depending on which bus terminal (there are 2) you arrive, you may still need to take another city bus to get into town. Having said that, snow or no snow, it is wise not to take risk if you feel uncomfortable driving under unfamiliar road condition.

When we went to Shirakawa-go from Takayama during the month of Oct., we reserved our bus tickets the day before in Takayama. On the day of travel, there were less than 10 people onboard. If you really want to book your bus tickets in advance, try e-mailing the Takayama tourist info. centre at hidatio@hidanet.ne.jp. I think they can help with the Takayama to Shirakawa-go as well as Takayama to Matsumoto via Okihida parts. No harm asking them how they can help or point you in the right direction for the Gifu to Gujo-Hachiman part.

Good Luck
by William5 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/10/30 09:34
Hi William,

Thanks once again! Yes indeed there are 4 of us for the trip. After discussing with the designated driver for this trip, we agreed that your suggestion of car rental is the best option if it is not snowing in that area. We definitely going to explore this option in more detail. Really appreciate your thoughtful advice, world class!!

Regards,

reply to this thread