Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

book temple lodging at saikan/haguro san 2009/11/29 22:19
I have heard so much about saikan shukubo at haguro san thus would love to get info on reserving a room thru internet.
by bakatori  

... 2009/12/1 12:29
I am pretty sure that they don't accept reservations by internet. I have the feeling a phone call is the only way to reserve:
http://templelodging.com/spot/01tohoku/dewa005.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/12/3 00:39
Thanks,

though I very much wonder how am I going to get the message across when I am not able to converse.
By the way is spring a good time to visit nikko? I understand the autumn is beautiful but very crowded.
I am quite terrified of crowds so is currently thinking on visiting in Spring time.
by bakatori rate this post as useful

... 2009/12/3 08:19
By the way is spring a good time to visit nikko?

The town of Nikko is good at any time of the year. The Okunikko region is best in summer and autumn when vegetation is most attractive. In early spring, the vegetation is still barren, but it can still be beautiful.

thanks again 2009/12/4 22:00
Uji san, you are always a great help when I am planning my trip to Japan.

saikan lodging 2010/3/21 01:27
I finally got a reservation thru japaneseguesthouse service. Cost me a total of 7350 yen which includes dinner and breakfast and whatever taxes. Will give more details after I return from my trip on 23apr.
by bakatori (guest) rate this post as useful

saikan lodging 2010/9/11 12:09
Been there and done that!!
I didn't climb the way up not cos I was lazy but the steps leading up were piled with snow, very slippery and dangerous.
Yes, snow. It was Mid April, Spring & snow covered.
I took the easy way up - bus.
Saikan is a simple temple lodging surrounded by woods and sits on the edge of the mountain.
Guess what, I was the only guest there. I spent my entire time in my room (no key, no lock, just sliding door) infront of the heater (portable type). I came to Japan with clothes meant for Spring.
The whole structure of the lodging is typically Japanese, wooden. With planks covered with tatami for flooring, windows that works like sliding doors thus the cold seeped through the tiny slits. Even the journey from my room to the common toilet was a feat with the cold wind escaping into the lodging thru the cracks.
When night came, I fell asleep with the sound of the wind howling & rattling on my window panes.
It snowed during my slumber. I have nvr experience snowfall in my life (my country is in the Equator). I opened my eyes, and before me, snowfall.
It was the most beautiful sight.
I would gladly do this again even with the cold and exhorbitant bus fare.

... 2010/9/11 14:53
What a wonderful description! Makes me wanna go again.

reply to this thread