Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Harajuku - Otaku? 2009/12/7 17:51
Hi, I was on Harajuku last week and came across young Japanese in mind-boggling outfits, some in all pink princess outfits, some with dyed hair with all black shorts and many little dolls. For sure they ar emaking a statement. Are they Otaku? I understand the meaning has changed a lot and it does not carry negative connotation anymore.
by pool628  

cosplayer 2009/12/7 20:09
I guess you mean "cosplayers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

You can see move video at youtube.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

no 2009/12/7 22:35
they are not otaku. I was told (by a Japanese, so I guess it's reliable) that otaku literally means being stuck in the house. Otaku are what western people would likely refer to as nerds and to spot those i suggest you visit one of the arcade halls in Akihabara (or any other arcade hall for that matter).
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

"cos players" 2009/12/8 06:01
classic "Harajuku girls" as immortalised by Gwen Stefani;
by fmj rate this post as useful

No otaku in Harajuku 2009/12/8 07:21
Dutchman is right- the strangely dressed people in Harajuku are almost the opposite of otaku. Otaku are likely to be wearing a checked shirt over a T-shirt, maybe jeans, carrying a small backpack and probably wearing glasses, and to look like they didn't put any thought at all into how they dress or do their hair. The stereotype is that they can't relate to other people well, and when they are not in Akihabara they spend their time at home reading manga or watching anime, playing games etc.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: A Japanese word "otaku" 2009/12/9 02:46
"Otaku" means person(s) who is/are excessively or extremely enthusiastic about something.

: Are they Otaku?

Presumably no. I suppose they were showing just one of urban fashions or of personal preferences.

A person is not called "otaku" only by looking strange. A girl in a costume of Minnie Mouse may look strange, but is not called "otaku" only because of the costume; probably she is a Disney fan, not a Disney otaku.

: I was told (by a Japanese, so I guess it's reliable) that otaku literally means being stuck in the house.

That's not correct. I am a Japanese, and I can clearly say "otaku" literally does not have an element to mean being stuck.

Originally this word is "o-taku" and used as an honorific to refer to the house, husband, etc. of the person whom the speaker is talking to.
: "o" is a honorific prefix.
: "taku" can mean a residence, house, family, husband.
It is said that this word begins to mean otaku person(s) because members of an otaku community call each other "o-taku."

: I understand the meaning has changed a lot and it does not carry negative connotation anymore.

I feel essential meaning of "otaku" has not changed, not at least in Japanese language. This word still may imply having eccentricity and lacking senses or behaviors which most people in the society have in common; so I would never use this word in praise or compliment in a ceremony.

As you see, now "otaku" does not always refer to a nerd, a queer person or so. Recently it's getting known that persons of certain otaku communities are making or supporting sort of subcultures, such as ones which Akihabara is known for in these years.

However, not all who make or support such a subculture are otaku persons. Some of them may be software manufactures, stage directors or TV producers, and some of them may be ordinary people who likes that subculture.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread