Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Family Trip to Japan 2009/12/26 14:23
We have a family of four (Two adults, 5 & Six year old)
We are travelling from 2 July till 13 July 2010.
We are arriving and departing from Tokyo Narita.
We are going to Disneyland at some point (this is the only thing we have locked in)
Do people have a suggested itinerary?
We also want to visit Kyoto.
Should we hire a car or travel via train?
by Familytraveller  

... 2009/12/26 17:17
Do people have a suggested itinerary?

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

Or pick at your own interest (recommneded):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Should we hire a car or travel via train?

Travel by train and bus is recommended inside the large cities (incl. Tokyo and Kyoto) and over large distances, e.g. between Tokyo and Kyoto. Only in smaller cities and on the countryside, a car can be the recommended means of transportation.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Enjoy 2009/12/27 06:26
We took our kids to Tokyo last May and they had a ball. Things of interest: Disneyland, Skybus tour, ferry trip to Oodaiba, Kidzania, Hello Kity world, the Emporers gardens, ueno zoo and heaps more. Not sure if you have a boys or girls (or both) but if you are interested there is companiesn over there that dress up as a geisha and take portrait pics for you to keep (great ones in Kyoto). If you manage to get out of Tokyo there is mountains with wild monkeys to go and see, dont forget hiroshima and Osaka has universal studios. Enjoy your trip. I hope your kids enjoy themselves as much as mine did.
by Deaks rate this post as useful

Itenary 2009/12/27 21:04
If your kids are interested in visiting temples, palaces, shrines and castles, a lot of walking, shopping and things like that, than there is a lot to see and visit in Japan. However, most kids at that age are not really interested in this kind of things, so Disney Land, Universal Studios, a zoo, maybe a playground or swimmingpool, and that's it. I've been many times to Japan and I've seen families like yours visiting historical and ancient places, most of the times, the kids were looking tired, bored and had the "I wanna go home" face,lol.
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

Ryokan & Trains 2009/12/30 18:56
Thanks for advice.
Do you know good family Ryokan in Toyko & Kyoto?
How best to travel via train with Toyko, should I buy pass or individual tickets?
M. : )
by Familytraveller rate this post as useful

Family Travel 2009/12/31 05:28
It all depends on if you are going to stay in Tokyo. There is a SUICA card that allows you to use JR East trains, N'EX, and subways and JR buses in and around Tokyo, including Yokohama, Kamakura and outlying areas. It takes away the hassle of buying a ticket at each station. You simply swipe the card as you enter and exit the stations. Japan-Guide has information regarding this card. It can be reloaded if you runout of money. The good thing about it is that it doesn't run out. If you go back to Japan, you can use the card again. Especially if there is a balance remaining on it. You can even use the SUICA card at some stores. We found that it can be used in many convenience stores.
by Fletch rate this post as useful

Our tips Upon Return 2010/8/3 20:36
We had a great time in Japan, our family loved it.
We spent 11 nights in Japan.
1 in Narita
3 in Kyoto
7 in Tokyo

We decided an itinery with not too many stops sowe could have a base with a young family.
Kyoto: We caught the bullet train and went with the package sold here and was great.
Tip: In Kyoto catch cabs with young kids and distance to most major thing not far. The first day we did too much walking.
You dont need a ticket on the Shrinkensan for a child under 6. So he sat on my knee or with his sister.
We stayed at the New Miyako in a triple room and my sons bed was a camping mattress we brought from home. No Problem, room was big and hotel very central to Railway station.
Tokyo: We stayed at the B:CONTE Ariake, it was fantastic, brand new apmentment hotel, in the largest room. Under $US 200 a night with all the features of a good Apartment hotel. Not too far from main Tokyo action and room for kids to play.
Go to Museum of Maritime Science & The national Museum of Emerging Science & Innovation. Great for kids.
General: Food, no real issue, japan has the best foods and you can find stuff kids like easily.
Walking, you will do lots, get your kids fit, make them walk around at home, at the mall and parks.
Kids will love Japan, it VERY EASY, is advanced and so so clean, and VERY SAFE.
by Familytraveller rate this post as useful

reply to this thread