Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do permanent residence expire? 2010/1/5 06:26
Hi, I am a permanent residence in Japan. My daughter is an American citizen. May 2007, We moved to USA. My re-entry permit will be expires on May 2010. We are going to visit Japan around February 2010. Do I still can entry to Japan as a permanent residence? Thank you for your time.
by Mousei  

... 2010/1/5 09:41
Yes, permanent residence expires when you are outside Japan and your re-entry permit expires.

In February 2010, the re-entry permit will still be valid, therefore, the permanent residency will also be valid.
by Uji rate this post as useful

re-entry permit 2010/1/5 15:21
Once you are back in Japan apply for another re-entry permit, this will extend your visa, it would be a shame to loss it.
by = (guest) rate this post as useful

Alien card expired still can entry? 2010/1/7 06:38
Hi, Thank you so much for all the answers. I just found out that my alien card expired 12/9/2008. Before I left from Japan, I cancelled my health insurance but I didn't return my alien card. I am also a permenant resident. Can I still renew my alien card when I go to visit in February 2010 and renew my re-entry. Do I owe for insurance eventhough I didn't live in Japan? Can anyone help me find out the Gunma Fujioka city office phone number is? Thank you for your time.
by Mousei (guest) rate this post as useful

fujioka city hall 2010/1/7 09:18
The alien registration system and visa system are two different systems (city vs national administration) so the your expired ARC shouldn't affect your reentry permit renewal. Also, I'm not sure you need to pay back insurance if you will only be visiting. You should give immigration a call and find out from them as they are the ones that handle reentry permits. You can call anonymously or email their help line (Japanese only).

Takasaki Immigration Center:
027-328-1154
Open: 9-12, 1-4 Weekdays (except National Holidays)
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/index.html

Gunma Fujioka City Hall:
0274-22-1211
Open: 8:30-5:15 (Wednesdays until 8)
http://www.city.fujioka.gunma.jp/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/7 13:02
As a resident of Japan, it is your legal obligation to keep the data of your alien registration card up to date, including current address and renewing the card. Do you even still have an address in your Japanese municipality? And do you still pay your income taxes there? If not, then I cannot guarantee that you will still be able to re-enter Japan as a permanent resident, despite the fact that alien registration and immigration are (currently) handled by two different government levels.

For tax purposes, permanent residents must pay taxes on all their income from both inside and outside of Japan. Taxes are not only a municipal issue, but also a national one. I don't know how well immigration, the tax office and the municipalities cooperate, but I would not fully exclude the risk that you might experience some problems at immigration.

Permanent residency comes not only with advantages, but also with responsibilities.

Agree 2010/1/7 16:31
I agree with yllwsmrf The alien registration system and visa system are two different systems.

You will have no problems getting a updated re-entry permit, this will keep your permanent residence up to date.

Your Alien Registration Card expiring is not a problem, once you decide to return and live in Japan just apply for another Alien card,

Your Med Insurance you gave notice that you were leaving the country no problem, but once you return to live just re-apply.

People tend to over think these things, I don't see any problems with your situation,
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

Alien card 2010/2/7 21:36
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the expired Alien Card with be trouble... We have to show them every time we enter now in addition to the photo and finger scans... I have had friends refused entry for just such a thing, it can be fatal for a normal visa but falls in that famous "case by case" for PR...
by guest with a point (guest) rate this post as useful

Not necessarily 2010/2/7 22:01
I travel overseas several times a year, and since the introduction of the fingerprint scanning etc I have not once been asked to show my alien registration card on re-entry to Japan.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Gaijin card 2010/2/9 15:11
Don't listen to the last poster! There is no way that is true! If you have any type of residency visa they must check your card by law. They *will* check your card. I travel 2-3x a month outside Japan and you bet they check my gaijin card *every* time, and I hold PR. This is at both Narita and Fukoaka port... The funny thing is the half agents knows me by name and they still check me... Talk to a Japanese lawyer before entering the country.
by Dude (guest) rate this post as useful

Umm...it is true 2010/2/9 15:32
''Dude'', I am telling the truth, what possible motivation could I have to lie about it? Most recently I travelled out of Narita to Australia in October 2009 and Malaysia in December 2009- January 2010, and on returning both times I WAS NOT asked to show my gaijin card at any point.

Of course you need to have it on you in case you are asked, and I am not saying that you weren't asked to show your card. I am saying that they obviously do not always ask, as I personally haven't been asked since they introduced the fingerprinting. Just because someone's experience is different from yours doesn't mean they are lying.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

ARC at the airport?? 2010/2/9 15:41
Dude,

I too was surprised to read that you and the other poster are frequently asked to show your ARC at Immigration when re-entering the country, as, like Sira, I have never once been asked for my ARC at Narita despite re-entering the country once or twice a year for nearly 20 years - both before and after the introduction of the fingerprinting system.
Anyway, having an expired ARC is an issue that involves your local city or ward - not the Immigration Bureau - so that would not be a reason for being refused entry into the country.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/10 02:22
Never ever showed my ARC at immigration, either.

words 2010/2/10 03:48
Mousei... for your info a resident is a person, a residence is a building or a place..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Current status? 2010/2/13 21:29
Hi Mousei
I have a similar problem. Could you enter Japan? Did you have a problem with expired ARC? Could you extend your ARC? Do you have an address in Japan?
by mcload rate this post as useful

No worries 2010/2/13 22:32
I've re-entered Japan (at Narita) 8 times in the last 18 months and have never had to show my ARC. Maybe "Dude" acts suspiciously at Immigration, as the general consensus seems to agree with my personal experience.

If I remember correctly, they changed the disembarkation forms (the part that lives in your passport while you're away) about a year ago, so you don't even have to enter your ARC number at all at any point. (Although, sometimes you get the older ones, but some poor clerk has been through these crossing out those sections with a marker pen).

Once you're in, you should be able to apply for a new ARC, so long as you have a permanent address in the city in which you apply.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Do permanent residence expire? 2012/7/3 02:10
Hi Mousei

It is already more than 2 years since you were supposed to come to Japan....

How was everything regarding your permanent residence card?
Were you able to extend your re-entry? Was it fast? Did you have to pay any tax or unpaid insurance?
I am going through the same process as you and I would really appreciate your comments....
Thanks!
by yosan2001 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread